So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I am unemployed, every day is a weekend.

I brewed today. Remaking last months Strong Ale but with correct water hardness. Just found out my water is softer than Charmin so I used EZ Water Calculator spreadsheet to figure out my salts additions, mostly gypsum. Be interesting to compare this batch to last month's.

All the Best,
D. White

Particularly excited about this weekend’s brew:

Using spruce tips sent to me by @AkTom in a golden ale fermented with Aurland Kveik that I plated, streaked, isolated a colony, and built up to pitchable. Hoping it’s a bit tart, funky, and sprucy!

Tomorrow I'm brewing a black rye IPA with Hornindal kveik. What? Who brews black IPA anymore? Sounds like a nice style for that yeast. Birthday beer tomorrow! 36 already...

Milled the grain last night for a Northern Brewer Blonde tomorrow morning (thanks babrewer). Haven't done a blonde in yonks, since I discovered lagers; but palate is craving something ale-ish, not super hoppy, and done quickly. Just gotta get through work tonight, then it's on like donkey kong tomorrow morning.

Irish extra Stout in the fermenter with kveik voss
IMG-20190913-WA0041.jpeg

Brewed a batch giving Sweet Potatoes a try for the first time (5 gal batch):
  • 8 lbs - Pale Ale Malt
  • 8 oz - White Wheat Malt
  • 8 oz - Crystal 40L
  • 1 lb - Dark Brown Sugar (Boil 10 min..opps...added at flameout)
  • 3 lbs - Roasted Sweet Potatoes (Boil 10 min)
  • 0.1 oz - Pumpkin Pie Spice (Flameout)
  • 2 Tbsp - Vanilla Extract (Flameout)
  • Wyeast 1084 - Irish Ale
20190915_113820.jpg

Last edited:
The wife is playing Borderlands 3 so to avoid spoilers I've spent the day in the kitchen brewing a wheat beer and pitched a teensy amount of Tormodgarden kveik. Based on the flavor of the starter I made, this is going to be one hell of a refreshing beer! Nailed all my numbers and was the fastest brew day I've had to boot!

Did a Dubbel. Swapped out 2 lbs of Pils for the Ashburne Mild malt (got it at a brew club meeting) Willamette And Styrian Alpha % is less than what showing here. What came out of the kettle was fantastic, now let see if I manage the temps correctly and get the esters rocking.

upload_2019-9-15_22-28-34.png

First attempt at a lager. Going to use the Brulosophy Vienna lager recipe from the Short and Shoddy series. Going to keep my lengthier brew process but use the warmer/shorter fermentation technique.
I did this with my first lager, a Munich dunkel and it turned out great.

American Brown Ale, and possibly a pumpkin ale if I have enough time. The ESB I made a couple weeks ago is almost gone :-(

I am planning to brew my riff on a Dunkel tomorrow. It’s a Brown Ale grist (2-row Pale, Med Crystal, and Chocolate) but with Magnum and Tradition hops and 34/70 yeast.

Last edited:
Beer pipeline is fairly full (has not happened in a while) so will probably not brew this weekend, but will make up another batch of the House cherry/apple cider. Fermented the last batch with Nottingham instead of cider yeast, and much more impressed with the flavor.

^ Visiting Minnesota one day is on my bucket list, just hoping it won't be winter then, I've heard it gets mighty cold there.

Out of grains so cleaning bottling and organizing for me ATM... Might even crank up the hot room ;)

Beer pipeline is fairly full (has not happened in a while) so will probably not brew this weekend

I managed to get myself into a similar predicament. I can fit 3 kegs (or 2+2 Torpedos) in my beer fridge. I have all the keg spots in my fridge full (maybe 9 gals of beer), and a Sweet Potato Ale that will be ready to keg this weekend. I plan to bottle off the Imperial Stout that is in a keg, but that will just make room for the Sweet Potato Ale.

I was wanting to brew a batch of "Imperial Oatmeal Porter" (really just a high 7.5% Oatmeal Stout that people complained was not roasty enough for a stout...so figured I would just call it a Porter). I wanted to do a 5 gal batch and do half oak aged but maybe I will just do a 2.5 gal batch and plan to bottle it. I also have some 1 gal hop samplers that I have been wanting to do.

Maybe I should just bottle the stout...keg the Sweet Potato Ale...and try to get caught up on housework...but brewing sounds more fun.

Decided last night to take a vacation day and get in a brew day. First in 6 months. Just dropped 10oz of hops and 2oz of hop hash into the whirlpool.

pumpkin ale in the morning. a slightly different recipe than the past couple of years, hopefully it turns out well.

Not doing anything beer-related (except drinking it) this weekend because surprise nasty case of the flu. Still have plenty kegged anyway. But...next weekend will brew up a Strata Smash, as YVH finally has Strata hops available and amazing husband ordered a pound for me. Silver City Tropic Haze uses them and it's delicious, hoping for something similar. And hope to be recovered enough by tomorrow to keg the NB Blonde that's been crashing since last weekend.

Back