So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing a beer inspired by Maui Brewing Pueo Pale Ale. Only info I have is that they use 2-row, crystal, Munich, Simcoe and Centennial. Should be fun! I haven’t brewed in almost a year so this packaging is new to me.

View attachment IMG_1743.jpg

I think I'm going to brew a kölsch with 90% german pilsner, 10% german pale wheat, and hersbrucker whole leaf hops. Hopefully my stainless hop filter shows up in time.

brewing a neipa on saturday, my first attempt at the style. i normally start brewing around 5 am but due to some conflicts, i won't start up until about 2 pm, first time for that.

Brewing a chocolate milk stout this chilly morning. I forgot how much longer it takes to heat water when it is only in the 30's

Might snow tonight, supposed to brew with the boss tomorrow...so just in case Snowpocalypse 2017 hits tonight doing a surprise IPA this morning. 12 lbs two row, Centennial at FWH, and will use Centennial & Simcoe for flavor & aroma. Will decide later on the dry hop but will be Amarillo or Columbus. Using the IC as a heat exchanger too since it's about 50° in the garage this morning. Smells very much good in here right now!

Just brewed a 5 gal batch of Vienna Lager. Did a full boil (60 min.) hops with Hallertauer Mittelfrueh. Smells great as it's cooling.

I guess I am. My little girl (8) likes to sleep in the living room on the weekends and watch TV. I told her last night I would be waking her up early today getting into my brew equipment which is currently stacked in a corner of the room. Then I went to bed.

I woke up to this. I have not brewed since May but I have added equipment, like that shiny new 20 gallon Spike kettle. So I am going to brew 10 gallons of our Red Hook ESB clone.

1104170758a.jpg

I was going to brew until I stepped wrong with a 40 pound bag of wood pellets on my shoulder and irritated the torn ACL in my right knee... ice/heat for a few days to get it back to only hurting a little instead of so swollen it was hard to get jeans on... doc said at my age they won't repair it, knee replacement when I can't stand to walk on it anymore.

Trying hard to. It's really tough trying to find the time when my wife is working three shifts, practically works every weekend, the brewery is in the garage and we got 2+4yr old extremely curious boys who aren't allowed within shouting distance from any of the brewing equipment solely for safety reasons. Thinking about timing it so that I'll be mashing indoors while putting the boys to bed, then when the wifey comes home at 9pm gonna carry the half filled pot, and the wet mash bag in a bucket, to the garage and sparge&boil there. Haven't brewed an AG batch since spring because of this, and the extract kits are starting to taste more or less the same...

Oh, which reminds me I need a gas refill.

Brewed an IRS last Saturday; showed an interested co-worker through the process. First big beer done after some minor tweaks to my setup, so no idea where my efficiency would land. Ended up ~62%. Fermentation started very quickly. Can't wait to drink it :)

Knocked out 5 gal of NEIPA last night. Trying Wyeast Thames Valley for the first time. Not one of the more popular NEIPA yeasts but that's what was on hand. Anyone have good experience with it, NEIPA or otherwise?

Had plans on Saturday that got cancelled, so now I'll be brewing something with a pack of Weihenstephan yeast I picked up on a whim, now I just need a recipe!

I am brewing a Belgian DIPA at the moment, using Pilsner, Wheat, Flaked wheat and oats + Fermentis BE-134 pitched together with Brewferm Blanche.

Saturday I will brew a lighter Belgian Pale Ale mixing to yeasts and dry hopping with Mosaic

Sunday, I will be brewing an American DIPA, with Columbus, Citra and Galaxy.

Brewing a beer inspired by Maui Brewing Pueo Pale Ale. Only info I have is that they use 2-row, crystal, Munich, Simcoe and Centennial. Should be fun! I haven’t brewed in almost a year so this packaging is new to me.

View attachment 419499

Brewers Haven is a nice little store. Had to stop by there this summer for keg lube & O-rings while we were out there for my daughter's wedding.

Absolute last chance this weekend to do something holiday-ish. Have 14lbs 2 row, 4 lbs Cara 40, and 2 lbs Dark Munich. Going to use some Saaz & Columbus hops I have sitting in the freezer, will also spice the heck out of the fermenter with Pumpkin Pie spice and maybe some extra cloves. I hate the smell of pumpkin (or any squash for that matter) so this is the low-budget version of a Pumpkin Ale. Going to reserve about 2 gallons first runnings to reduce while the boil is going and add at the end for an extra malt kick.

DIPA - for Father In Law per his request. Bringing it up to Montreal at Christmas. His favorite beer

hops - Strata features along with Citra and Mosaic.
yeast - A38 Juice
Complex grain bill, but it works quite well in a double - 9.5lb 2-row, 2lb Vienna, 1.25lb red wheat, .75lb flaked oat, .75lb carared.

Oyster Stout......my first attempt adding oysters into a dry stout. Brewery in Asheville NC specializes in these beers, and while a stout is not my all time favorite, the oyster addition takes it to a level that made me want to brew one. Went to the effort to get debittered dark malts and Irish Ale yeast.

Brewers Haven is a nice little store. Had to stop by there this summer for keg lube & O-rings while we were out there for my daughter's wedding.

Yes, they are great! Fair prices and great customer service!

I wish I was brewing this weekend. Maybe next weekend.

DIPA - for Father In Law per his request. Bringing it up to Montreal at Christmas. His favorite beer

hops - Strata features along with Citra and Mosaic.
yeast - A38 Juice
Complex grain bill, but it works quite well in a double - 9.5lb 2-row, 2lb Vienna, 1.25lb red wheat, .75lb flaked oat, .75lb carared.

Is that raw wheat or malted? I don't see many people specifying red or white wheat so that's what made me think raw.

I'm planning on brewing tomorrow but I have no idea what yet. Probably a pale ale or my house pilsner to build up for Christmas... but I might change my mind completely.

Is that raw wheat or malted? I don't see many people specifying red or white wheat so that's what made me think raw.

I'm planning on brewing tomorrow but I have no idea what yet. Probably a pale ale or my house pilsner to build up for Christmas... but I might change my mind completely.

Is actually red wheat. Seems to be a bit more of a creamy mouth feel than white wheat. It kills in NEIPA. I also do other pales with it and love the stuff. good conversion/extract with it. It is a smaller kernel, so watch during milling.

I really like it in pales where I do about 10 lb 2-row, 1 lb red wheat and .5 lb 40L.

Is actually red wheat. Seems to be a bit more of a creamy mouth feel than white wheat. It kills in NEIPA. I also do other pales with it and love the stuff. good conversion/extract with it. It is a smaller kernel, so watch during milling.

I really like it in pales where I do about 10 lb 2-row, 1 lb red wheat and .5 lb 40L.

Ahh, sorry I should have been clearer.. is the red wheat malted?

Maybe I'll try malting a little bit- my dad works at a grain elevator so I have access to all the raw corn, wheat and rye I want. I've only used a bit of corn so far in a cream ale.

Just finished a double brew day. A dark American brown @ 1.054 using WY 1318 and a Citra ipa @1.059 using a bunch of cascade and Citra and wy 1056. Also kegged a steam beer and a centennial blonde, so all in all 20 gallons of beer made and/ or kegged. Now time to have a cold one!

Brewing a Fuller's London Pride clone tomorrow with Target, Challenger, and Northdown hops that I was able to source from England!

John

Doing a brewing demonstration for all my co-workers today. I'll be serving cream of three crops and brewing a centennial blonde. Should be an interesting day. No pressure lol.

I am making a porter for my friend , he liked the last one. This time we are changing the hops a little and adding flake barley to try to get more head without changing the flavor.

I got in a brew day today. Was finally able to get my hands on some El Dorado (it's been difficult to get around here for the last while), so used it in a pale ale with citra & mosaic. And I'm making some bread with the spent grains. It feels like winter outside, so might as well warm up the house :)

I got a brew day in as well. Beautiful day here in Florida and I brewed on my lanai and what a smooth brew day it was. Hit all my numbers spot on! I brewed a Fuller's London Pride Clone, with a buddy. Already have airlock activity to boot! Plus my chickens loved the spent grains!

John

Pilsner today. First in a series of 3 nearly identical batches. Just changing up the hops... magnum/saphir, mandarina Bavaria, and magnum/hallertau.

Not sure if I hit my numbers. Refract and precision hydro couldn’t agree to half a degree Plato. Scratching my head on that one.

Weather was so so, but was nice in the basement.

Just finished up making an oatmeal raisin cookie stout. Smells delicious! If it tastes anything like it smells it will be delicious!!!

Brewed a simple hefeweizen; 5 lbs pale wheat, 4 lbs german pilsner. Mashed for 1 hour @153 then 1 oz hersbrucker FWH and 60 minute boil. Was shooting for 1.047, ended up with 1.046. Fermenting with wyeast 3068 weihenstephaner. Airlock already showing signs of life.

Edit: this was my fist attempt at manipulating water chemistry; I used distilled water and added 5.2 stabilizer. We'll see how that turns out.

Brewed another 1 lb ipa (Using 1 lb of hops in a Five gallon batch, but not for bittering, I used Magnum this time). This one was cascade, with a standard 2 row, crystal grainbill.

Our usual pale ale recipe, featuring El Dorado as the primary flavor-aroma hop. Probably Tuesday, as the weather is supposed to be a balmy 45*F or so!
Edit - looks like a 10 gallon split batch! Just got some hardware to help with hoisting the extra big bag out of the 20 gal kettle.....hmmmm, maybe El Dorado in one half and a blend (Amarillo, one of the Cs, and Mosaic?) in the other....

Back