So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just pitched the yeast at 4:12 pm on a cool pumpkin ale recipe from Gordon Strong. It had 9 pounds of pumpkin puree baked in the oven and put in a mesh bag. The bag went in the mash tun during the sparge and in the boil kettle until the boil was reached. The amazing spices went in at flame out, in their own mesh bag and whirl-pooled and steeped for ten minutes. Hydro sample tasted and smelled like grandma's pumpkin pie and that was just the wort sample. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out as it's my first attempt at a pumpkin ale.

John

I can't win, lost all water pressure at 10AM right when I got up(I m a night owl! went to bed at 4Am!) and didn't get it back until 4pm so no brew day. Need water for cleaning and cooling...

City is putting in all new water lines and one was defective and ruptured so entire town was shut down for 6 hours. Also why I am battling dust! Every street in town is torn up for the new water/sewer lines.

I can't win, lost all water pressure at 10AM right when I got up(I m a night owl! went to bed at 4Am!) and didn't get it back until 4pm so no brew day. Need water for cleaning and cooling...

City is putting in all new water lines and one was defective and ruptured so entire town was shut down for 6 hours. Also why I am battling dust! Every street in town is torn up for the new water/sewer lines.

I had something similar happen to me about a year ago. I had just lautered and started to clean the MLT and oh f*ck no water is coming out of the tap. It was just working a minute ago! First thought was i shouldn't have been ignoring all of those warnings about the electronic water meter reading not working. Figuring they just cut me off, i walked outside.

It wasn't me though. The guy across the street and a few houses down had a water main break. They shut the whole street down and were digging up his front yard.

2 hours later, after a LONG hop steep, the water came back and i was able to chill. That's not something you can ever plan on!

Managed to get in a brew day. Taught a newbie and advised her on what to buy to get started doing extract brews. She followed me from mash in(nice to have a slave to stir the MT!) through sparge to the boil. Had to leave as I was chilling which is fine, she knows the wort has to be cooled to proper pitching temps. She wants to brew with me again and since I am trying to get all 10 kegs full going into December that might be next week!

brewing again this weekend. Batch above with the pretty orange color was LOADED with DMS. Waited until lat night to see how much cleared during fermentation. Nope - nada. Samples tasted like I added hops to my corn on the cob.

Modified recipe with 50/50 2-Row/GP, and a 90 min boil just to be sure.

Brewing today......Dead Ringer IPA. It's been a while and I feel shameful. Brew time starts promptly at 1:30PM in my garage on this gorgeous day.

Ok. Random choice from hops in the freezer. Idaho 7 and Citra pale.

Why not, right?

1509151306540403349558.jpg

35lbs going into the tun and over a 19.5oz's of hops for a 10gal NWIPA. Cant wait till tomorrow. Gonna be a great brew day.

Just finished an Oat Mild w/homegrown Brewers Gold Hops. T. Fawcett Maris Otter, Oat Malt and a touch of C-80(Briess, didn't have the UK crystal). WY 1469 West Yorkshire ale yeast. Just kegged Black Sheep Riggwelter clone w/the same yeast. Tastes pretty good even uncarbonated, kept stealing samples while I was racking it.

Decided to age the stout I brewed a few weeks ago and kegged last week...so to keep the pipeline full I'm brewing what I'm calling a Centennial SMaSH pale today. 14lbs 2 row with 1/2 oz Centennial at FWH and at 30 minutes. Going for something light and tasty. No adjunct grains because I don't have any on hand and don't want to go anywhere today until dentist appointment at 3pm. Waiting on the boil now.

Brewed a "heritage lager", using 75/25 mix of Riverbend heritage malt (asheville) and the rest pilsner from same malster. Magnum for bittering, tettnang for flavor and aroma (30 ibus). Decided to use a cali lager strain since I just kegged a delicious cali common and had a ton of fresh yeast. Fermenting at 62, usually go 58 with this strain.....we will see what happens

Brewed a "heritage lager", using 75/25 mix of Riverbend heritage malt (asheville) and the rest pilsner from same malster. Magnum for bittering, tettnang for flavor and aroma (30 ibus). Decided to use a cali lager strain since I just kegged a delicious cali common and had a ton of fresh yeast. Fermenting at 62, usually go 58 with this strain.....we will see what happens

I did something similar with some Riverbend malt ~4 years ago (i think it was 2-row Harrington IIRC). The kernels were quite tasty, but it made one of the worst beer I've ever made. The extract efficiency was terrible, and the flavor was nothing but astringency. I hope your experience is better!

Sitting in my back yard, smoking a cigar, drinking a home brew, watching NFL Red Zone...while a stout is mashing away.

It’s a wonderful day in Colorado and glad to be outside!

Brewed my 7th IPA today, with help from my awesome GF. All-grain recipe of my own making. Will be first beer to be kegged.

I did something similar with some Riverbend malt ~4 years ago (i think it was 2-row Harrington IIRC). The kernels were quite tasty, but it made one of the worst beer I've ever made. The extract efficiency was terrible, and the flavor was nothing but astringency. I hope your experience is better!

I've had good luck with riverbend malts. They don't use any 2-row these days, although I think they are hunting for a good southern variety. The pils, pale, and heritage are made from a 6-row variety called thoroughbred. That's what I've been getting anyway. Smaller grains but great flavor. Quite a few popular breweries here in the asheville area use a lot of Riverbend. The heritage seems to be like a dark vienna. I used it recently as my base in an oktoberfest and it was delicious. I've been using epiphany malts out of Durham for specialty malts. Great biscuit and other roasted varieties. Fun to try new stuff.

I've had good luck with riverbend malts. They don't use any 2-row these days, although I think they are hunting for a good southern variety. The pils, pale, and heritage are made from a 6-row variety called thoroughbred. That's what I've been getting anyway. Smaller grains but great flavor. Quite a few popular breweries here in the asheville area use a lot of Riverbend. The heritage seems to be like a dark vienna. I used it recently as my base in an oktoberfest and it was delicious. I've been using epiphany malts out of Durham for specialty malts. Great biscuit and other roasted varieties. Fun to try new stuff.

I thought it was a 2-row, but my own posts contradict me. i wrote about it here about 5 years ago https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=364441

Not sure. Maybe they have learned a few things over the years. I like their stuff so far and it seems to be well used around the area, but part of the allure is its local. I still have plenty of german pils and British mo around, so I'm not ditching my historic grains. It's just nice to have the variety. Maybe give it another shot if you are in the area. I will say my efficiency was a little lower, but the 6-row variety they use is much smaller, so maybe I need to fine tune my mill. Thanks for the info. Always interesting to hear other's experiences.

Fortunately i made my escape from NC a few years ago and there's no going back.

That malt was one of those things that was so terrible it's on the permanent blacklist. Maybe it was me, maybe it was a bad bag, who knows. I've learned a thing or two since then too so i bet a 2nd go would be better, but it was really, really bad. Nothing about it except for 'local' was better.

Worst brew day so far but I'm still happy I got to brew. First boil over, first scorch (yes, I removed the pot from the burner first). Getting used to the new house and stove is going to take some work.

Fortunately i made my escape from NC a few years ago and there's no going back.

That malt was one of those things that was so terrible it's on the permanent blacklist. Maybe it was me, maybe it was a bad bag, who knows. I've learned a thing or two since then too so i bet a 2nd go would be better, but it was really, really bad. Nothing about it except for 'local' was better.

Well, okay then. No nc mountains, no riverbend. Sorry to hear both put a bad taste in your mouth. Take care and happy brewing.

Doing 2 batches this weekend, and the start of my 1 lb series. (what is 1 lb you ask, 1 lb of a single hop. (not smash).

First:
6% Honey ale, bittered with magnum, 1 lb galena
Second
Traditional IPA, bittered with apollo, 1 lb cascade

Just did my first batch of centennial blonde last evening to see what all the hype is about. My wife loves blonde ales. Used a local dark vienna-type malt and 6-row pale instead of 2-row, bagged the crystal malts, and went with 1056 (not a fan of notty)so it will be a little different. Nonetheless, i hit the og (1.041) and followed the hop schedule. Should be tasty.

I bought stuff to fill up all 5 of my carboys, so 5-7 days straight of brewing!

1. Cider with Kirkland Juice and Premier Cuvee - done
2. Spiced Pumpkin Porter - done
3. Spiced Pumpkin Ale - just finished
4. American Wheat Ale - friday
5. Kettle Sour Wheat Ale - saturday

tired but still excited

Hoping to brew a pumpkin beer, cause im lazy and havent done so yet. I really should be baking the pumpkin right now, instead im really enjoying a quiet, empty house and a few too many SNPA clones

Back