So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brew day with a buddy of mine. His intro to BIAB. We both brewed 5 gallons of Ragin Red. I have a Dunkle that is calling my name and Pumpkin SWMBO is asking for. Still got some daylight so gonna flip a coin - more brewing or relax

Prancing Pony.... think they were brewing hefe there? Could be I guess... :)

Good possibility. It's a basic, old style of beer. I like to imagine that a pub on the edge of the wild would have low abv cloudy wheat beers. Among others, anyway.

1.058 OG. I've been tweaking my process and gained some points over the last time I brewed it.

Sent from my magic box, using only my thumbs.

Brew day with a buddy of mine. His intro to BIAB. We both brewed 5 gallons of Ragin Red. I have a Dunkle that is calling my name and Pumpkin SWMBO is asking for. Still got some daylight so gonna flip a coin - more brewing or relax

Dunkle and tell her there's pumpkin in it.

Borrowed an ancient pos Mastercraft drill from like 1986 and milled my grain. I had to goose her constantly and it took almost 45 minutes to grind 10 pounds, but I made up for it by brewing 5 gallons of sweet stout in 3 hours flat from the time I started to heat my strike water to the time I finished cleaning up. No more brewing for a few weeks though since we'll have guests coming over who'll sleep in the fermentation room and I don't want them to see 15 gallons of beer in there.

I've got about 6 gallons of Scottish Samhain Pumpkin Ale in the fermenter...color, smell, taste from brew and hydro sample, all indicate that this is going to be VERY good! Probably be bottling around 5 gallons when all is done...and wishing I had done more!

IMAG3577.jpg

I'm a boring broad.
More cider into the carboys this weekend, I just need to rack and keg the one that's ready. Plus right now gallons of tree top cider are $2 at a store near my house. I'm stocking up for the holidays. I always give it as gifts, bring it to holiday parties, and of course drink way too much of it.

Since it's going to be full-blown brisk, wonderful autumn by the time it's ready, I'm making my favorite oatmeal stout recipe.

I brewed version 2 of my dampfbier PM recipe yesterday. Got an OG 1.052. But the yeast had frozen in the veggie drawer of busted fridge. Thawed & smacked it. Didn't swell. Still no movement at all from the airlock center piece, which usually peggs the cap by now?...:(

Saturday morning I bottle this chainmail pale ale, while praying I prime it right and everything works out smoothly. Then I'll hit the beer store for some sexy IPA or so, right over to the LHBS and get ingreds to make something that afternoon. Just... not really sure what. After being on this site for a couple weeks now, I finally read about a SMaSH and that sounds perfect for me to get back into it. Might have to look into trying one of those. Excited. Weekend can't come fast enough.

After talking to a brewer on Midwest's new chat feature, my suspicions were confirmed that the WY3638 that froze in the veggie drawer is a goner. Luckily, JW Dover over in Westlake had to smack packs of it left. I got it warming up now before I smack it. Gunna let it proof while I finish cleaning up from brew day yesterday. An eventful day what with the fridge repair guy showing up a couple days early to fix the fridge at the same time. Then to & from work with my son. Whew! The wort has been sealed up since last night, so it should be OK for a couple more hours till I pitch the new yeast. :mug:

Think I'm gonna move one of my Flanders reds over to a keg for awhile and get some more wort on the bacteria cake. I've got some Forbidden Fruit on the stirplate now to handle the primary work. I think I'll make a brownish beer this time.

Well, here's a surprise! After talking to the guys at Midwest about my yeast freezing & there saying it usually doesn't bounce back...it did! In typical I'll-be-damned fashion, I had smacked a new WY3638 packet a few hours ago that I'd went to JW Dover for this morning. I walked over to the fermenter stand with spray bottle of Starsan, scissors & yeast in hand. Just as I tosses the lid prying tool on top of the fermenter to cut open the yeast pack, the center piece shot straight up to the cap & started bubbling! Absolutely nothing up to that point. Even the airlock center piece was all the way down. Playing possum, as it were. But I decided to dump the new packet in anyway, since I'd activated it already. Dammit, I wish it would've bubbled sooner. Or I'd have waited till near time to pick my son up from work to head over to the lhbs. I'd have saved some 7 bucks. But I really am surprised, as I've never frozen yeast before...at least, not on purpose. I guess the nutrient pack inside it did some arousing after all?! :mug::ban:

Most of it was probably dead and the long lag time was due to it having to replicate so much to get the job done. You're better off pitching another pack to help get things going although I believe most off flavors from under pitching come during the initial cell replication phase. Hopefully you caught it early enough.

I'n hoping I did. I'm trying to nail the recipe for a proper dampfbier. The light amber-orange color & bubblegum esters the beer was known for.

Fermenter still kinda slow this morning. Gonna check lid & airlock seal. Looks like I may get the color, but hoping yeast activity will give the flavor.

Gonna help my brother with his first all grain attempt, an ESB recipe. He loves my beers since I've been doing AG brewing! Another convert...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hey everybody, I've been lurking for a couple weeks trying to learn all I can. I just finished my third attempt at an all grain brew. I don't have real high hopes for the first two but I learned a lot from them. This third batch felt right. It's a Belgian Dark Strong Ale. I just got it into the fermenter and so far so good. Thanks everyone and I hope your brewing weekend is awesome!

Brewing a Cream Ale tomorrow. This will be my 3rd brew. I'm excited because I just finished my fermentation chamber today.

This will be your best. 3rd times a charm.

I'm looking forward to it. I have learned so much from reading the forums, asking questions, and doing my first two brews. But the little knowledge I've gained is just a drop in the carboy. There's so much more to learn, and I'm looking forward to picking the brains of experienced HB'ers.

I'm looking forward to it. I have learned so much from reading the forums, asking questions, and doing my first two brews. But the little knowledge I've gained is just a drop in the carboy. There's so much more to learn, and I'm looking forward to picking the brains of experienced HB'ers.

This forum has honestly been awesome. Over the last 18 months I have improved my brewing 100000%, all from things I've learned here.

I'll be brewing my second sour with 3203 Sunday . Tomorrow I am bottling an IPA, a hefeweizen, and a dry hopped hefeweizen.

Brewing a rye ipa. Got up early and doughed in by 7am. Kids sports schedules start at 2pm today so figured I'd get her started early. Headed to eagles / redskins tomorrow. Go Birds.

Thinking it's about time to brew again. Down to 1.5 filled kegs, 1 doing the longest d-rest in history (premature removal from chamber I'm guessing), 4 empties. Currently have a carboy with a barleywine that should have been bottled for the past few weeks. 5 gal weizenbock and 3 gal american wheat almost done in the primaries.

Probably an english red coming up.

Sounds good! 2 weeks ago I did a porter and split 5 gallons for a peanut butter chocolate and 5 gallons for a oak chip whiskey and vanilla bean

Helping my brother with a pale ale this am (his 1st AG!) and he will help me tomorrow with an ESB ( my first brew in 6 weeks). I'm trying a brewers yeast from the Czech Republic I got from the owner of my LHBS. He says it's a beast and tastes extra smooth in the 4 styles he's used it in.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411217168.329814.jpg

Chocolate stout with fat free cocoa powder, cocoa nibs, vanilla bean, and oak chips, all soaked in captain morgan black

Sounds good with the oaked Morgan's. Looks like my dampfbier v2 is just past initial fermentation this morning. Hoping to get the right color & bubblegum esters it's known for this time around...:mug: And is that czech yeast an ale or lager yeast? interesting...

Up at 3:30am this morning for a double brew day: a Pumpthin' Ale and a Double Decoction Dunkle.

Love fall brewing!

You beat me by an hour! I'm brewing while wearing jeans and a sweatshirt for the first time in months. Love the cool air this time of year.

Back