So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I had to do surgery on my STC-1000 controller this morning and amputate about a foot of wire off the probe because of wire chaffing.

I would have replaced it with an inkbird but it’s probe died Saturday.

I suppose this is what I get for slacking off brewing for 7 years.

Well as it turns out I have to brew tomorrow. Two yes 2 weeks ago I made another batch of my APA . I used yeast collected from a prior APA that was from two weeks earlier. Something got infected and my new batch that should have been finished last week is infected. I knew something was wrong when it just kept going over a week in the primary. Now that batch has be dumped the fermenter scrubbed and sanitized and start all over again. So I will be brewing mmy APA again tomorrow.

Might brew another Sabro / Citra Hazy today, if I can get myself motivated to pull out the equipment and get started; that's the hardest part.
It's happening.....let the haze begin....

Attachments

• 20230603_104120.jpg
    20230603_104120.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Going real old school today with a blonde ale with cascade and mt. hood. I want to burn through a big chunk of what I have left from last year's hop harvest to make room for this year. Plan to double dry hop and then keg hop so giving it a modern approach.
I'm hoping for some fresh Cascade hops in September. This is my bine's second season, so it may actually happen.

It was a bottling day, bottled up 5 gal of Hefeweisen and 5 of Dunkelweizen. If they did not taste better plus easier to give out as bottles I would have kegged. Now that is a time saver.

Attachments

• IMG_20230603_153825719.jpg
    IMG_20230603_153825719.jpg
    683.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230603_131353172.jpg
    IMG_20230603_131353172.jpg
    695.5 KB · Views: 0
I'm going to attempt a pilsner today. I'll be doing some experimenting:
  1. Going to try pumping wort down a long hose through the basement window into the fermenter to avoid lugging the fermenter down sketchy steps.
  2. Trying out the FastFerment fermenter I picked up used.
  3. Will be testing out the glycol chiller build from an AC unit through a TempTwister I installed in the FastFerment.
IMG_20230520_101317391.jpg

Brewed a Belgian Dark Strong for our clubs upcoming beer of the month on Friday. I used Wyeast Belgian Abbey. As of last night at the 34 hour mark after pitching nothing was happening. Yeast exp date is August 2023. This will be the second time that I had a Wyeast failure. I always keep a pack of Safale 05 for this very reason. Pitched the 05 at 5 am today and I am seeing the start of fermentation already. I have used Wyeast a number of times now but two failures and both on weekends!!! Anyone have issues with Wyeast and if so was the yeast close to the expiration date?

Sometimes they start slow. Just make sure your wort is in the right temperature for pitching and wait. I have had some take 48 hrs before active fermentation is visible. And just because there is no bubbles in the airlock doesn't mean the yeast are dead, they are simply rehydrating and starting to get going.

Brewed up the latest version of my grodziske. I'm weeks behind my personally set brew schedule, due to a family emergency and life getting in the way. Anyway, decided to make it much stronger than usual. I had a bit of an off brew day, so missed a lot of numbers, including target OG by a lot, but as long as it tastes good, I'm not too concerned (this time).

I guess the one issue that worried me was after activating the smack pack and there was fizzing after the inner bag broke open I placed the yeast in the house for 3 hours the yeast packet never expanded like normally. Maybe I should have waited longer before pitching the Safale 05 but the OG is 1.079 so I don't think I over pitched.
Sometimes they start slow. Just make sure your wort is in the right temperature for pitching and wait. I have had some take 48 hrs before active fermentation is visible. And just because there is no bubbles in the airlock doesn't mean the yeast are dead, they are simply rehydrating and starting to get going.

While I am online I would like any brewing history on lemongrass. I had a Lemongrass Pilsner this past weekend. It was an awesome beer on a 80 degree day. The lemon flavor was not overwhelming with a light hop no bitterness. Looking to brew a batch but hard to find a recipe. Researched lemongrass and there were a few different ways to utilize the lemongrass and amounts used. Any help or recipe word be appreciated. Thanks.

Brewed a Munich Helles this past weekend. Nothing this coming weekend, but off next week and going to brew a Catharina Sour with pink guava puree. I ordered 11 lbs of puree from Fierce Fruit, figuring half in the beer and then would make a mead with the rest, but the company accidently sent me FORTY POUNDS instead! Never going to use all that so when I am ready to break the seal, guys in my club are going to come by and grab 10 lbs each in buckets.

Brewed a Wander CA Uncommon earlier today, recipe based on the CB&B version. love Bham breweries and this one is classic at our house.

Anyway, dropped the spent grain off at the neighbors for her chickens. now that is a good trade :)

Attachments

• IMG_0247.jpeg
    IMG_0247.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
You’re adding enzymes? There can’t be enough diastatic power in there…

Do you cereal mash the teff?

Yes, I use Ondea Pro & Ceramic Flex + a long step mash. I usually Cereal mash the teff, but can also get by without because there is a 176° mash step. Cereal mash gets me a few extra PPG though.

Back