So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mashing in for a Doppelbock, very full pot:
35D7F356-30B3-4538-9E59-BF2F2FFFBF15.jpeg

Those
that's what i am doing this spring and summer. brewing single hop pale ales and try several new hops to see how they turn out. something different and hopefully find some winners!
Pale ales are a great way to see what they taste like without over powering the pallet. I love setting up a series of sample glasses with friends and seeing what they think.

I really wanted to brew this weekend to get enough in for an upcoming graduation party but have been really busy and was supposed to go to in laws for Easter.

Then found out middle son didn’t turn in his schedule for days he can’t work and got scheduled today so I volunteered to stay back with him

Attachments

• 4AE41E47-5EC8-4DA1-97DB-98245ED43433.jpeg
    4AE41E47-5EC8-4DA1-97DB-98245ED43433.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
My weekend, so Wednesday and Thursday: Going to start off with what I have dubbed a "Stale Ale". Unkind name, I know. It's more about double checking the Equipment Profile for the Brewzilla that's in BrewFather. Enough Maris Otter and home kilned biscuit to get me to estimated 1.05-55, enough Magnum to get to about 40 IBU and some US-05.

After that I'm probably going to try for my first Strong Bitter on the system supposing the equipment profile isn't wildly out of whack.

Prepping a starter and invert for tomorrow's premium bitter.

Premium Bitter 1.053/43 4G VIF
5.25lb Simpsons Best Pale Ale
.3lb Fawcett C85
.3lb Flaked Maize
.125lb Chocolate Rye
.6lb Invert #2
17IBU FWH EKG
16IBU 90 EKG
10IBU 30 EKG
DH EKG
WY1469

Counting on the FWH to do their job.

20230410_102318.jpg

After a 4 year hiatus due to surgury, back at it. A Centennial Blonde. I really missed it.

A 5 gallon batch to begin with, I'll get there. Baby Steps. Water treatment is where I'm gonna start. Good beer is so hard to find.

I cleaned all my gear, there were spider webs in my mash tun. Everything is 4x what I originally paid for it. Wow! My LHBS saw me coming! $15 yeast????

The Bragging Rights Only (BRO) competition style for the So Cal HB Fest is European pale lager and Amber lager 2A and 2B. No one else in the club was brewing one, so I brewed an amber with 34/70.

10 lb pale 2 row
1 lb C60
1 oz Citra at 60
1 oz Mandarina Bavaria at FO,
Fermented with 34/70 at 50*. 2 packs rehydrated with batch wort.

After re-reading the BJCP 2021 guidelines I think this may be too hoppy for the style. Oh well, I know it will taste good. I haven't done a true lager is years. :mug:

Edit: The fest is the first weekend in May. Won't have long to lager so I'll have to fine with gelatin. Never done it before. Basically bloom it and pour it into a cold keg? Can put in the keg when I rack it or does it need to be poured onto the top? Thanks

Last edited:
I waiting for my shipment from RiteBrew. It is for a Belgian Witbier Session - 4% ABV with elements from both the Belgian & American versions so I’m calling it Wit Bastard.

Did my first batch on the brewzilla today. My efficiency was crap, but that's what I figured. Estimated og was 1.055, actual was 1.040. Tested with 3 separate hydrometers and 1 cheap refrac at a sample temp on 77°f.

Oh well. All old ingredients from before my hiatus, hence the name Stale Ale/Stale Pale.

Either way, I'm just happy to be back at it, and the efficiency issue will just need tweaks. Also got to make some room in the hop storage part of me freezer. All in I added just enough magnum for 45 ibus at 60 and 2oz each Citra, El Dorado and moutere which was a combo I had been planning on before buying a house and letting 2 years get by me.

Feels good.

P.s: I know the issues with the hop spider, looking into better methods there as well.

Attachments

• 20230413_082924.jpg
    20230413_082924.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230413_122038.jpg
    20230413_122038.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Brewed an Irish Red Ale today. Only problem was, it looked like a Pale Ale going into the fermenter.

Since I started kegging at the city house last year I’ve been trying some changes in my process to brew 4 gallon batches on what was originally put together as full volume, no sparge, 2.5 gallon system. My 7 gallon kettle won’t hold 8-9 lbs of grain and 6.5 gal of water so I’m doing a dunk sparge. Used the same grain bill as in past brews of the same recipe which produced the desired color. Oh well, I made beer. :cool:

Just put to bed a 2g batch of porter. Used the grain basket that I got from Amazon, despite the very fine mesh it did a great job in the mash; 1.040 preboil and 1.065 going into the fermenter. Used a whole packet of Notty on it, because 1) didn't feel like vacuum sealing the remainder, and 2) will be a nice big starter for whatever I brew next. Going to use the same basket on the next 5g brew for hops, possibly.

Been working on a cream ale recipe last night and today. Just need the flaked corn and some carapils, have everything else. I brewed one a long time ago when I was still doing extract and bottling; it was okay, but I know a lot more now (most of the time). Doing this one very simple, pilsner/flaked corn/carapils; 9lbs pilsner/2lbs flaked corn/.5lb carapils. Should be a nice lawnmower beer.

Got my strike water measured and salted, sparge water measured with the sous vide ready to ride. Grains milled.

Starting a strong bitter at 5am est on my weird mid week weekend.
Using my sous vide to maintain sparge water temp. Why the heck didn’t I think of that? Brew day I’m usually going back and forth from kitchen stove to garage adjusting the stove burner to try to get the timing just right.

Using my sous vide to maintain sparge water temp. Why the heck didn’t I think of that? Brew day I’m usually going back and forth from kitchen stove to garage adjusting the stove burner to try to get the timing just right.
The elements in most wands at best have a use life of 2ish years from what I've read elsewhere. I'm getting my money's worth worth my cheap one

The elements in most wands at best have a use life of 2ish years from what I've read elsewhere. I'm getting my money's worth worth my cheap one
I've had my Anova for a really long time and it's still going strong. I won't say I use it a ton though, probably once a month.

I did give it a try maintaining mash temperature with BIAB once. I put it outside the bag to keep the grain out of it. It worked out but in the end not any better than wrapping the kettle in a sleeping bag so I didn't go back to it.

I've had my Anova for a really long time and it's still going strong. I won't say I use it a ton though, probably once a month.

I did give it a try maintaining mash temperature with BIAB once. I put it outside the bag to keep the grain out of it. It worked out but in the end not any better than wrapping the kettle in a sleeping bag so I didn't go back to it.
I'd be wary just from the sugar content and who doesn't have a sleeping bag or a few blankets laying around? I've got a cheap VPcok (hilarious name, I know) that I use about one a week outside of sparge water (so all in, twice a week typically).

I just got lazy when I got my brewzilla. Woke up, started hearing to strike temp and thought "why can't I do this with the sparge? " and BAM. my chicken and beer have both been super easy since then

Back