So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently working on a simple blonde ale using GP with very small amounts of melanoidin, flaked barley, rye and maltodextrin, using WLP007 and Cashmere. Shooting for 6%, SRM=5 and IBU=26

Which Wheatwine recipe are you using? I'd like to do a Barley or Wheatwine later this summer.
It's a kit from the folks at Austin Brewhouse. Easier for me to do all grain kits now-dont have alot of storage in my brewery corner-and no homebrew shop nearby.

Brewing a blonde ale this Friday. It will be based on Victory's "Summer Love" which is a toasty and hoppy blonde ale and it will be ready for the 4th of July. My version will be a little more sessionable for this hot summer heat. Also will be tapping my Belgian Wit that I made prior on Father's Day.

John

Brewing a blonde ale this Friday. It will be based on Victory's "Summer Love" which is a toasty and hoppy blonde ale and it will be ready for the 4th of July. My version will be a little more sessionable for this hot summer heat. Also will be tapping my Belgian Wit that I made prior on Father's Day.

John

What did you do with the Wit? I'm doing the typical coriander, orange peel and Kent Goldings. You do anything special? I'm doing a dry yeast (prob T-58 from what I'm reading on the forum) unless my LBHS has a White Labs Witbier strain in stock.

IMG_5178.JPG

Brewed a Pale Ale !

What did you do with the Wit? I'm doing the typical coriander, orange peel and Kent Goldings. You do anything special? I'm doing a dry yeast (prob T-58 from what I'm reading on the forum) unless my LBHS has a White Labs Witbier strain in stock.

I do the typical recipe as well. Mine has pilsner, flaked wheat, flaked oats, and Munich malts and Wyeast 3944 (Belgian Witbier) yeast. I use blood orange and tangerine zest (not the white pith), Indian coriander, and I like to throw in some ground black pepper corns (or three color pepper corns) for a very subtle peppery background flavor. I also use Hallertauer Mittelfreuh hops as I like that hop in my wits. Good luck on your brew day, it's a great style that is one of my favorites.

John

I do the typical recipe as well. Mine has pilsner, flaked wheat, flaked oats, and Munich malts and Wyeast 3944 (Belgian Witbier) yeast. I use blood orange and tangerine zest (not the white pith), Indian coriander, and I like to throw in some ground black pepper corns (or three color pepper corns) for a very subtle peppery background flavor. I also use Hallertauer Mittelfreuh hops as I like that hop in my wits. Good luck on your brew day, it's a great style that is one of my favorites.

John

How much zest would you estimate you use? I planned on zesting a couple of oranges to get what the recipe calls for (.75 oz); curious to see what you went with.

Going to brew a 5.5 gallon batch of Irish Red Ale tomorrow after work. Only working until 10:30 so flame-on should happen by 11:00-11:15. Recipe called for 1.5 lbs of caraaroma, but my LHBS only had .5 lbs left in his inventory. Suggested subbing the rest with Special B. Looks like it upped the SRM to a darker color, per Beersmith. Hope it's not too dark, but really hoping it doesn't alter the taste too much. My 1.25 gallon test batch, brewed in the late fall, was freaking delicious.

The plan now is that this will also be my first beer I'm kegging. So I'll be over on the Bottle/Kegging discussions pouring through the posts to pick up some pointers.

How much zest would you estimate you use? I planned on zesting a couple of oranges to get what the recipe calls for (.75 oz); curious to see what you went with.

I would go with 2.0 ounces for a 10 gallon batch or 1.0 ounce for a 5 gallon batch to start with. You can always add more next time if you want. Also a lot of the citrus flavor comes from the Indian coriander. For this new 10 gallon batch I just made I went with 3 ounces this time to see the difference. I will then adjust next time if I need to use less but I just wanted to see if it was better. 2 ounces in 10 gallons is very good though and great place to start.

John

Hoping the experiment (3 gallons) comes out as a Crimson Pilsner. Starting with a simple pilsner blonde ale grist, 1ml hop shot @ 60, 1.25oz hibiscus @ 5, and .5oz of centennial @ 5, using KY-97 yeast.

I am trying to kill my NEIPA keg and brew one tomorrow since I got some Galaxy but if I cannot kill her I will brew a semi hoppy blonde (wai-iti) and the Citra single hop kit I got on Amazon dirt cheap from moorebeer

First brew day tomorrow with 2 burners, hoping to save a lot of time and hit a local brewery when I am done

Making 10 gallons of Saison tomorrow, using (2) 5 gal Carboys since I'm heating instead of cooling. One will be WY3726 Farmhouse Ale, one WY3711 French Saison. Looking forward to tasting these side by side to evaluate yeast impacts. I'm a'scared of the "Ferment at 90 Degrees" advice, so will likely hold at start at 70 and gradually bump up to 75-77.

day tripper do you do the hop additions to the tenth of a gram (like I did) or do you simplify it? I loved the 5 gallon batch I did but thought rounding up or down might make it less tedious to measure out. Sunday I'm doing the Wry Smile IPA from Denny...only the second clone I've done...Juicy Bits was the first :).

day tripper do you do the hop additions to the tenth of a gram (like I did) or do you simplify it? I loved the 5 gallon batch I did but thought rounding up or down might make it less tedious to measure out. Sunday I'm doing the Wry Smile IPA from Denny...only the second clone I've done...Juicy Bits was the first :).

Oh, I totally simplified the hop additions because the clone recipe is a bit nuts :)

I do ten gallon batches, skip the FWH (because frankly it's voodoo) and use 1 ounce of Chinook at 60 instead (because why waste citra/el dorado/mosaic on bittering?)
Then I do 2 ounces of citra/el dorado/mosaic at 5, another 2 ounces of each for whirlpooling at 160°F for 20 minutes plus chill-down time (probably another 20 minutes). Then 2 ounces of each for bio-hops, then four days later another 2 ounces of each for four days. Two days crash cooling and it's into kegs...

Cheers!

Last edited:
I am just finishing up the boil on a chocolate stout. Doesn’t exactly scream summer but my last two brews were lagers so I am set nicely. I look forward to this being done quickly, waiting on the lagers to finish up is painful.

I am just finishing up the boil on a chocolate stout. Doesn’t exactly scream summer but my last two brews were lagers so I am set nicely. I look forward to this being done quickly, waiting on the lagers to finish up is painful.

If you want quickness a NEIPA or a Saison can be had very quick at full potential

I find a stout is better matured

Chocolate is always nice

Latest posts

Back