So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two spaces after a period.
2015-12-01-holiday-gift-guide-idea-2-2-spaces-4-america-hoodie.png
My Mother has a degree on English, and I always did very well. My kids call me "Grammar Man". For some reason, however, I have never even heard of this "two spaces after a period" argument. I plan on sticking with one space . Sometimes; though- I just like too flocc with people...

Two spaces after a period.
2015-12-01-holiday-gift-guide-idea-2-2-spaces-4-america-hoodie.png

Well actually...
Per MLA who are supposedly the authorities on how you are supposed to write stuff.

http://www.mlahandbook.org/fragment/faq#How_many_spaces said:
How many spaces should I leave after a period or other concluding mark of punctuation?

Publications in the United States today usually have the same spacing after a punctuation mark as between words on the same line. Since word processors make available the same fonts used by typesetters for printed works, many writers, influenced by the look of typeset publications, now leave only one space after a concluding punctuation mark. In addition, most publishers’ guidelines for preparing electronic manuscripts ask authors to type only the spaces that are to appear in print.

Because it is increasingly common for papers and manuscripts to be prepared with a single space after all punctuation marks, this spacing is shown in the examples in the MLA Handbook and the MLA Style Manual. As a practical matter, however, there is nothing wrong with using two spaces after concluding punctuation marks unless an instructor or editor requests that you do otherwise.

But I am with you. I grew up hearing the rule of 2 spaces after punctuation. I still do it. Actually, thats a lie. I do both. Depends on if I miss the first time or not.

But seriously... How did you catch that? Do you go around highlighting peoples posts to check spacing? If so, you are a far more retentive man than I.

Some sort of a fruited American wheat. Thinking maybe blueberry/pomegranate.

I just did a strawberry wheat. I racked onto fresh strawberries after a week and used a yeast with banana flavors at high ferment temps. In hindsight I would've used a splash of strawberry extract and maybe a touch of unfermentable sugars to make the strawberry flavor pop. I ended up with a light sour strawberry taste with a light strawberry nose while drinking. I was aiming for a strawberry banana wheat.

I think even if you put in two spaces here, the board corrects it to show only one in a post. I think.

;)

Actually, this weekend I plan to put on a grape wine (made from store bought concord juice) and some gingerbread beer (actual gingerbread beer...based on ginger beer and molasses).

Two spaces after a period when using a monospaced font. One when using a proportional font. This is a proportional font, so one space.

And I'm doing a patersbier this weekend. Supposed to be in the low 50s this Saturday! I haven't brewed an ale since October or November (I did two lagers over the winter using 34/70 dry yeast) so this is the first time in a long time that I've built up a starter from a slant. It's chugging away nicely as of this morning.

Brewed a regular IPA last weekend and I'm going to brew my Red IPA tomorrow. I'm trying to use up all of my older hops.

While I happen to usually use two spaces after a period, I am very much not a member of the grammar police. All y'all can punctuate as all y'all want. Except @Vandulus.
In this case, I do object to @Vandulus 's failure to honor the wedgie issue of the Meadow Party. “If they can steal the space between our sentences, they’ll come for the hope between our doubts.”

And I am brewing Drom John Leftover ESB on Saturday.

Probably an IPA on Saturday morning, but I need to figure out how to get to the brew shop tomorrow.

Planning to do an Amarillo/Simcoe pale ale tomorrow with a little Munich and wheat in the grain bill. Will be first time using these hops (don't ask why it took so long) and second brew on the Grainfather. Will be the 2nd beer to go on tap in my soon to be completed basement bar behind a Brett Trois Blonde I currently have in primary.

Biggest brew day of the year on Saturday - Annual RIS.

36lbs of grain and some DME to tweak gravities. 2 18lb mashes.

Mash #1 - collect 4 gallons of first runnings in pot and start boil. Collect 4 gallons of second runnings and set aside.
Start Mash #2 while boil has started. Mash #2 is exactly the same as Mash #1. Add 4 more gallons of first runnings to the already boiling wort. Collect 4 gallons of second runnings and set aside.

Continue boiling the first runnings in pot #1 - adding some DME and water to boil..... eventually finishing with 8 gallons of 1.12 or higher Wort.

Simultaneously, start another boil with second runnings..... this will be a 6 gallon batch of 1.045(ish) black lager of some sort.

Eventually, Coffee/Maple/charred Bourbon barrel spirals, are added to RIS at various stages of secondary...... Ready for drinking next winter.

Buddy of mine from college comes down for this each year and we split the batches. It is a crazy day, but lots of fun and a great way to do both beers.

Maibock this Saturday then Northern English Brown on Sunday. The Brown is to enter into a regional comp.

Desperately need to hit the LHBS and replenish my inventory.

I am planning to make a Pils the following weekend though.

Not to be a complete tool, but the two spaces situation, is that style specific? MLA, and only MLA? I've never heard of it myself.

I'm an undergrad business student, majoring in Organizational Behaviour and I write a lot of Psychology papers. In APA I've never used 2 spaces.

But that may be a reflection of the quality of education lol ;)

German pilsner on Saturday. Started drawing the RO water tonight for the mash. Will do the sparge water tomorrow night, as well as keg the Maibock that's sitting on my yeast.

Yooper's APA comes out of conditioning Saturday. I'm planning a Ruination 2.0 for Sunday and I have two growlers of SN Ruthless Rye to help me make it through the weekend. Life is good!

German pilsner on Saturday. Started drawing the RO water tonight for the mash. Will do the sparge water tomorrow night, as well as keg the Maibock that's sitting on my yeast.

It's a pilsner type of weekend. I'll be brewing a Czech pilsner tomorrow. Yeast is ready, going to do a triple decoction mash with floor malted Bohemian malt. Only saaz hops too.

I will space howIsee fit

OT not brewing this weekend , hopefully moving my bar.

Yeah, except the board auto-corrects your "excessive" spacing.

;)

I will be brewing a DIPA tomorrow. Golden Promise, Golden Naked Oats, lots of experimental hops, then dry-hopped with Amarillo - although I am seriously considering Nelson Sauvin. I had Alpine's Nelson rye IPA this past weekend and absolutely love those hops now!

While I happen to usually use two spaces after a period, I am very much not a member of the grammar police. All y'all can punctuate as all y'all want. Except @Vandulus.
In this case, I do object to @Vandulus 's failure to honor the wedgie issue of the Meadow Party. “If they can steal the space between our sentences, they’ll come for the hope between our doubts.”

And I am brewing Drom John Leftover ESB on Saturday.

I swear there are two spaces afterwards, they're just half spaces put together!

Waters on, grist mixed, using a columbus bittering charge and all flavouring and aroma will be Amarillo. First time doing a hop stand so cant wait to taste the outcome. Appropriately named AmarIPA

4th brew of Elevating Blackman Saison.
9ltrs
750gr german pale
650gr munich
200gr wheat
200gr table sugar
100gr fine cut oats
28IBU
Mix of Blackman A4 and Belle Saison

Not this weekend. Working back to back 16 hour days Sat-Sun. This week and next will be pushing nearly 200 hours... But then I've got a week off, which means brewing NEXT weekend! Wooo!

I brewed a "scotch ale" that looks like a porter and an "Irish red" that is brown. After two interesting, somewhat-failed attempts, today I'm just drinking beer I already made successfully and watching a shrek movie marathon

Just keeping sanity this weekend. But that Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter is a go for next weekend. Sounds awesome.

I'mma brew tonight, while making baked chicken in BBQ sauce, rice, and some jumbo chocolate chip cookies. (Oven is on the fritz, so I am making a half-recipe of CCC dough & pressing it into a few 8-9" cake pans, & baking them off one at a time in the toaster oven.)

Put up a tasty wheat and a 105 point honey chocolate stout today.
The latter is going to run on S04, hopefully holding it to 67°F.
Still should be hella fun! :eek:

ab_27feb2016_01.jpg

Cheers! (pipeline is looking solid these days ;))

Waters on, grist mixed, using a columbus bittering charge and all flavouring and aroma will be Amarillo. First time doing a hop stand so cant wait to taste the outcome. Appropriately named AmarIPA

I'm brewing a Flying Dog Raging B*tich clone on Sunday and that recipe uses Columbus and Amarillo for the hop additions. What yeast are you using for your IPA?

The RB clone is a Belgian IPA so I'm using Mangrove Jack M27 yeast on mine.

I'm hoping it comes out tasting something remotely resembling the original with a good hop bite and that "belgian-y" yeast flavor.

Back