So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed three beers this last weekend - Cream Ale/Belgian golden strong/IPA.

Also, bottled by apple pie oatmeal stout

Bottled a imperial sweet stout, and kegged a Pliny the elder clone yesterday. 2 fermenters open means a moose drool clone and an imperial black rye ipa this weekend! And 5 gallons of appfelwein

Going to be brewing a small batch of a psuedo Belgian black ale with the head brewer at Tallgrass Brewing Co this weekend. Shall be a good weekend.

Going to keg and bottle my Kona Pale Ale and brew 15 gallons of Irish Red while listening to the DropKick Murphys and Flogging Molly!!

The snow closed some of the LHBS around here so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to pick up my yeast and make the starter. Should be brewing on Friday!

Brewing up a Blonde Ale and an American IPA this weekend! Finally got myself a wort chiller so very excited to give that a run.

Im brewing a Timothy landlordish type beer, have some Golden promise,burton yeast(pretty shure they use london-but this is what Im using),goldings hops + a few other english type hops. Its going to be bigger though like 5%. Guess NB Innkeeper is a type clone of landlord? Which Ive just discovered. Any objections if this is a bad Idea using burton yeast/burton salts let me know. IM totally a burton noob. It should just be a litte bigger version of it,Ill just call it extra I guess as in extra pale ale. Looking forward to it, not really brewing it this weekend-next though- Just too excited about it really.
Edit: Endedup brewing it in my smaller vessle 1.5 gal batch. Hit a 1.047 OG. I miss doing these smaller stovetopBIAB they are a breeze. My 2.5 gal batches are a double mash/double boil on stove.

Saturday I`m brewin` up Chocolate Vanilla porter again.The batch
I brewed 1-6-13 is all but gone.

Cheers

This weekend I'm brewing my first Saison in my 9 years and 150+ batches of brewing. Not sure how I managed to skip this style, but I'll make an attempt this Saturday. I've got starters of Belgian Saison and French Saison going now, and will compare the two when ready.

I am brewing a liberty cream ale this weekend. My last kit brew before I take the leap into all grain. I also found my freezer to make my keezer. Not to much longer.

I'll be doing up my base pale ale with some Victory thrown in. It's a grain school batch
1.jpg
28.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
29.jpg

Im brewing a Timothy landlordish type beer, have some Golden promise,burton yeast(pretty shure they use london-but this is what Im using),goldings hops + a few other english type hops. Its going to be bigger though like 6%. Guess NB Innkeeper is a type clone of landlord? Which Ive just discovered. Any objections if this is a bad Idea using burton yeast/burton salts let me know. IM totally a burton noob. It should just be a bigger version of it,Ill just call it extra I guess as in extra pale ale. Looking forward to it,not really brewing it this weekend-next though- Just too excited about it really.

One of my all-time favourite beers, I've just bottled a batch of a clone (from a Ritchie's kit) that I'm hoping will taste pretty close after conditioning. The yeast you really want to get the true taste is Wyeast 1469 - which is what Tim Taylors themselves use. If you do manage to track down this yeast, give it a good length of time in the primary as its a long, slow fermenter - (mine was still going at 10 days) http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=189

A Burton yeast will give you a decent result, but maybe not quite as dry a finish as the Yorkshire yeast. A London yeast would probably end up even sweeter still. Not sure about Keighley water compared to Burton - maybe try looking that up before you add the salts... depends a bit on your own water.

As far as I know they use mainly Styrian Goldings hops too. Sounds like the brewery keep the actual recipe under wraps so most of the clone recipes are based on trial and error.

Im brewing a Timothy landlordish type beer, have some Golden promise,burton yeast(pretty shure they use london-but this is what Im using),goldings hops + a few other english type hops. Its going to be bigger though like 6%. Guess NB Innkeeper is a type clone of landlord? Which Ive just discovered. Any objections if this is a bad Idea using burton yeast/burton salts let me know. IM totally a burton noob. It should just be a bigger version of it,Ill just call it extra I guess as in extra pale ale. Looking forward to it,not really brewing it this weekend-next though- Just too excited about it really.

I've still got 5-6 packets of the Burton salts laying around myself. It basicly attempts to re-creat the hard water around Sheffield,England where most Burtons were brewed. The White Labs Burton yeast Produces some fruity esters,including green apple. It always bugged me that a comp judge might taste this as a flaw rather than a normal ester for the yeast used.
But I also see that it has a temp range very similar to WL029 yeast-68-73F vs 029's 65-69F. So far,the 029 produces a certain crispness in conjunction with the beer's hop profile. This Burton,however,was intended to lean towards slightly sweet & fruity,common of English styles.
The Burton salts basically copying hard water,won't play well with hops if I understand it correctly. Did some research a while back myself on Burtons. Got revvy to thank for that insperation.
As for myself,my order from midwest is scheduled to come in Friday by Fed-Ex home delivery,winter storm warning permitting. I'm brewing a PM version of my BuckIPA designed in BS2. All NZ hops this time for what I'm calling AussieIPA. Same amber/orange color. Hoping I got the malt flavors right from my original recipe in my recipes for those who care to look. PM is gettin fun! If you guys haven't tried it yet,you should. PB/PM BIAB is what I do on the stove in the same 5G SS BK/MT I've been using.

This weekend I'll be brewing a parti-gyle batch of 10 gallons split into 5 gallons of Scotch Ale and another 5 gallons of Scottish 80 shilling. I'm trying to tweak my procedures for parti-gyles.

I've still got 5-6 packets of the Burton salts laying around myself. It basicly attempts to re-creat the hard water around Sheffield,England where most Burtons were brewed. The White Labs Burton yeast Produces some fruity esters,including green apple. It always bugged me that a comp judge might taste this as a flaw rather than a normal ester for the yeast used.
But I also see that it has a temp range very similar to WL029 yeast-68-73F vs 029's 65-69F. So far,the 029 produces a certain crispness in conjunction with the beer's hop profile. This Burton,however,was intended to lean towards slightly sweet & fruity,common of English styles.
The Burton salts basically copying hard water,won't play well with hops if I understand it correctly. Did some research a while back myself on Burtons. Got revvy to thank for that insperation.
As for myself,my order from midwest is scheduled to come in Friday by Fed-Ex home delivery,winter storm warning permitting. I'm brewing a PM version of my BuckIPA designed in BS2. All NZ hops this time for what I'm calling AussieIPA. Same amber/orange color. Hoping I got the malt flavors right from my original recipe in my recipes for those who care to look. PM is gettin fun! If you guys haven't tried it yet,you should. PB/PM BIAB is what I do on the stove in the same 5G SS BK/MT I've been using.

Almost right, I hope you don't mind being corrected...
Burton-on-Trent is where Burton beers were (and are still) brewed. Sheffield is quite a bit further North, though the Trent River does run through Sheffield too. Burton water is hard like you said, whereas Sheffield and much of Yorkshire has soft water. Yorkshire breweries (like Tim Taylors) brew somewhat different beers to the Burton style, partly because of the different water, partly because they like top-working yeasts that need frequent rousing in commercial breweries or lots of time to ferment in homebrews.

Almost right, I hope you don't mind being corrected...
Burton-on-Trent is where Burton beers were (and are still) brewed. Sheffield is quite a bit further North, though the Trent River does run through Sheffield too. Burton water is hard like you said, whereas Sheffield and much of Yorkshire has soft water. Yorkshire breweries (like Tim Taylors) brew somewhat different beers to the Burton style, partly because of the different water, partly because they like top-working yeasts that need frequent rousing in commercial breweries or lots of time to ferment in homebrews.

Yeah,I was indeed refering to the waters that flow through both. I'm aware of the main "Burton" brewery in Burton upon Trent,but many others also brewed the Burton style in the 19th century. Some in Sheffield. I thought it was cool,since I live in Sheffield & brewed up my take on the Burton style. Got some tweeks in mind for the next one...

I live in Sheffield & brewed up my take on the Burton style. Got some tweeks in mind for the next one...

Sounds good, you'll have to let me know the recipe! Sadly all the big old Sheffield breweries are no more, most closed in the 1990s, though there's some excellent microbreweries now.

In addition to bottling some oatmeal stout, I'm going to do a 2.5 gal batch of the Citrus Weizen in the recipe section just to see if I like it as a light refresher.

Sounds good, you'll have to let me know the recipe! Sadly all the big old Sheffield breweries are no more, most closed in the 1990s, though there's some excellent microbreweries now.

When I brew it,I'll post it. gotta figure out the grains first. Gunna be a pm brew this time.

Girlfriend was interested in brewing her own beer so we came up with a banana bread beer to do this weekend. She's already promised half of it to friends.

Just went to the LHBS with my brother yesterday and set him up with a starter kit and a basic extract recipe. The clerk gave him an extra $35 in merch because I'm a regular and part of the beer club. That brew might be next week.

Yeah,I was indeed refering to the waters that flow through both. I'm aware of the main "Burton" brewery in Burton upon Trent,but many others also brewed the Burton style in the 19th century. Some in Sheffield. I thought it was cool,since I live in Sheffield & brewed up my take on the Burton style. Got some tweeks in mind for the next one...

Have you read Mitch Steele's Brewing Techniques, Recipes, and Evolution of the IPA? I'm almost done with it and it provides tremendous insight into Burton breweries, processes, and how to make their beer.

I would love to make a Burton-style IPA but the extended aging in northern European oak casks and tertiary fermentation in the casks has me thinking it's going to have to wait until I open my own brewery.

Not sure what I want to make. Maybe a small-batch APA to try out some new hop varieties. I got an ounce of Mosaic I'm waiting to fall in love with. Or if I get ambitious I'll do the 10gal of Black IPA. Or both. You just never know!

Back