So who is the best vendor now days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JClinedinst

Reaction score
I usually shop locally but my shop was out of a few grains I needed and wanted to brew this weekend and ordered from one of the online retailers I've used before. Needless to say I ordered Monday and its still in processing....

So which online retailers are your favorite an why?

I personally lean towards Northern Brewer because I have used them since I began brewing, BUT... they need t seriously take a look at their shipping protocol.

They seem to have a basic standard MINIMUM shipping charge of $14.05 which is exorbitant if you want to order something small (perhaps a 32oz StarSan which retails for $15.99) and they want to charge $14.05 shipping.
I measured and did a little experiment with the bottle of StarSan and it fit into a standard $5 shipping box from US Postal Service. If it fits in the box, they ship it anywhere and it arrives in 3-5 days (just like the $14.05 rate)

I have resorted to using Amazon and end up getting a better deal from HomeBrew Ohio and HomeBrew Stuff.
Why can't small items be sent like this?

I have had good luck with Austin Homebrew Supply, Northern Brewer, Farmhouse Brewing Supply and a few others. My favorite recently has been Farmhouse Brewing Supply.

I personally lean towards Northern Brewer because I have used them since I began brewing, BUT... they need t seriously take a look at their shipping protocol.

They seem to have a basic standard MINIMUM shipping charge of $14.05 which is exorbitant if you want to order something small (perhaps a 32oz StarSan which retails for $15.99) and they want to charge $14.05 shipping.
I measured and did a little experiment with the bottle of StarSan and it fit into a standard $5 shipping box from US Postal Service. If it fits in the box, they ship it anywhere and it arrives in 3-5 days (just like the $14.05 rate)

I have resorted to using Amazon and end up getting a better deal from HomeBrew Ohio and HomeBrew Stuff.
Why can't small items be sent like this?

I agree with the shipping thing :eek:

I typically use either Farmhouse or Rebel Brewer for grains I need. Since I now have a LHBS that's about 10 minutes away from me, I'll check there first. I normally make sure I have enough of what I need for the coming batch, far enough ahead to get what I need without worry.

Brewmasters Warehouse....there is a 10% coupon code and the Brew Builder is awesome.

I usually shop locally but my shop was out of a few grains I needed and wanted to brew this weekend and ordered from one of the online retailers I've used before. Needless to say I ordered Monday and its still in processing....

So which online retailers are your favorite an why?

I'm going to take a stab at it and say that you ordered from Northern Brewer? If that's the case, many of us are having delayed shipments. I contacted them about an order I placed, and they said they were backed up with many large orders placed during the 6 gallon carboy deal. Any time there is a sale or deal of some sort, there is usually a hiccup. Austin Homebrew Supply had a similar problem a while back when everyone was ordering their discounted kit special.

There are a lot of good online retailers, you just have to look at the whole picture...are they big, are they having a sale, do people know about them, do they advertise, are they close to you (shipping). Rebel Brewer is a good one with a good selection. Midwest is another...just check out the vendor section of HBT.

Brewmasters Warehouse....there is a 10% coupon code and the Brew Builder is awesome.

Even with 10% off, those prices are high (compare with Farmhouse Brewing Supply)... Selection is also small (compare with Rebel Brewer). IMO the brew builder software is extremely limited. Maybe it's good for a complete novice, but it's far too limited for me to even consider. Then again, I just use BeerSmith to make my recipies. It has ALL the ingredients I use (not just what one store sells) as well as my equipment entered into it.

IMO, brewmasters warehouse is a meh vendor. You can get a better selection without much effort. A typical order, for me, from Rebel Brewer arrives in about 3 days time, via ground shipping. Farmhouse is about the same via their standard shipping method. Plus, I've communicated with both of those vendors to make sure things got out in time. Farmhouse gets top marks there. Of course, with my LHBS being Jasper's (http://www.boomchugalug.com/) I get the yeast I want, and can get most anything else I'll need same day. :D No shipping needed. I can even get stuff special ordered (that he doesn't carry/stock) quickly enough. I've had Keg Connection special order things too, with solid results.

Use who you like, but shop smarter. Don't be fooled by software that's supposed to help you out but really doesn't. It's ok for the site (to rough in a recipe) but that's about it. It doesn't replace having good software on hand where you are.

anther recommendation for BMW...I can usually order Monday and have my order by Friday... GA to PA.

Most of the time BMW prices beat my LHBS even with shipping.

Farmhouse for hop orders (large multi-lb orders).
Northern Brewer for hard to find grains.
Local for everything else.

It hasn't been updated in a while, so double check prices if you're going to place an order, but I found this thread helpful as a starting point.

Seems like something that would be worth reviving/updating.

My personal experience:

I've had good luck with BMW and like that I can set up and save a recipe, add to cart, and ship it. Great if you're going to brew the same recipe multiple times. During busy times they can get a little behind, but not bad speed and I don't mind a short wait.

Got some really good deals on bulk hops (1 lb. bags) from hopsshack.com

Freshhops.com always seems to have a decent selection of whole hops. Shipping cost isn't bad when you're ordering a decent quantity of hops.

For DME, dmemart.com, super-fast shipping and good prices.

Also had a good experience with MoreBeer.com.

One other thing to consider is to shop regionally and shipping speed tends to increase (order from more East coast shops). Of course, "processing" time can still delay your order depending on where you get it from.

I don't think 14.05 is a Northern Brewer "standard".
I just got quoted $11 for shipping. i wonder if it's "standard" to your area. I'm in Nebraska, and have never paid more than 12 or 13 to have something shipped from NB, including nearly 30lbs of grains.

in fact, i just did a "comparison" shop... i got the parts i needed put them in a cart at NB, Brewmasters Warehouse, and Austin. added shipping, and came up with this.

A faucet, shank, tailpiece, washer, and disconnects for pin lock keg.
$47.90 shipped from NB, $51.24 shipped from Austin, and $63.90 shipped from Brewmasters.

so, since total is always my final decision maker, this would come to me from NB. Yes, Austin has their 6.99 under $100 shipping, but each part was higher than NB, to the point it overtook the shipping difference.

so i'd say go out and test shop. see what happens.
the best news? it all makes great beer.

My LHBS is Brewmasters so I am very fortunate. I have ordered from Midwest Supplies, Northern Brewer, and Homebrewing.org. All have been great.

I would like to order most from Northern Brewer to support Brewing TV, but their prices and shipping are unattractive. Because of that I buy from them least. Midwest seems to be my most common online provider and their pricing and service has never disappointed.

My LHBS is Brewmasters so I am very fortunate. I have ordered from Midwest Supplies, Northern Brewer, and Homebrewing.org. All have been great.

I would like to order most from Northern Brewer to support Brewing TV, but their prices and shipping are unattractive. Because of that I buy from them least. Midwest seems to be my most common online provider and their pricing and service has never disappointed.

+1 for BWM being my LHBS. I like Hop City, too, but no online stuff there.

:rockin:

LHBS every time. I've compared prices at many online shops and I can still get ingredients cheaper at the local store...even before the ridiculous shipping charges are added on. There was a $5 difference on the last recipe I bought. I feel bad for all you guys that are getting bent over by your local stores. Not good business practice as far as I'm concerned.

I have made purchases with NB, hopshack, and austinhomebrewstore. I really like that I can get 7oz of grain at AHS instead of having to buy 1lb of it at NB. However, I can't get maris otter LME at AHS, so my last order was with NB. I now have small partial bags of grain.

I have made purchases with NB, hopshack, and austinhomebrewstore. I really like that I can get 7oz of grain at AHS instead of having to buy 1lb of it at NB. However, I can't get maris otter LME at AHS, so my last order was with NB. I now have small partial bags of grain.

When getting grain shipped to me, I always get more than a couple of pounds at a time. That way, I have enough for at least a few brews before needing to resupply. It's easy enough, for me, to store the balance so it's a non-issue. If anything, I like it since it gives me greater flexibility with the recipes.

I also like Morebeer. It's very close to where I live though so super fast shipping or I can just go there. I also like Rebel for hops and Seven Bridges for organic stuff and NZ hops.

Honestly I only ever buy from my LHBS. I don't have a grain mill, so I have no desire to stock up on bulk supplies of grain (even if I had a place to store them, which I don't) so for me nothing beats being able to go to my LHBS and they will crush the grains for me (I think at like 10 cents a pound) and nothing beats grains that are fresh milled same day.

Honestly I only ever buy from my LHBS. I don't have a grain mill, so I have no desire to stock up on bulk supplies of grain (even if I had a place to store them, which I don't) so for me nothing beats being able to go to my LHBS and they will crush the grains for me (I think at like 10 cents a pound) and nothing beats grains that are fresh milled same day.

Just make sure the crush is good. IME, a good number of stores don't keep up on their mill, so as it wears they don't adjust the gap. If they're using it a lot, and have standard hardness rollers, it will wear out rather quickly. They also might have the crush gap set so that you get a lower efficiency (claiming it prevents stuck sparges). While there are stores/vendors that keep on top of such things, you won't really know until you've had declining efficiencies with the same recipes (or grain amounts). Having your own mill, also, means you can crush the grain minutes before you start the mash. IMO/IME, being able to tweak the recipe up to the last minute is a great option.

Just make sure the crush is good. IME, a good number of stores don't keep up on their mill, so as it wears they don't adjust the gap. If they're using it a lot, and have standard hardness rollers, it will wear out rather quickly. They also might have the crush gap set so that you get a lower efficiency (claiming it prevents stuck sparges). While there are stores/vendors that keep on top of such things, you won't really know until you've had declining efficiencies with the same recipes (or grain amounts). Having your own mill, also, means you can crush the grain minutes before you start the mash. IMO/IME, being able to tweak the recipe up to the last minute is a great option.

I do, these guys are awesome. 2 guys who love homebrewing and still do it themselves.

I will get a grain mill eventually but I just don't have the space to justify my own grain equipment yet. Maybe in a few years when I have a house either as a rental or owning it or maybe just if Iget an apartment on my own and I can have my own grain room or soemthing.

I'm going to take a stab at it and say that you ordered from Northern Brewer? If that's the case, many of us are having delayed shipments.

Maybe it depends on what you're ordering, or maybe things are improving, because I placed an order last Monday or Tuesday and received my order by Friday. Shipping was $11. I was pleasantly surprised, because orders from Austin Homebrew take over a week.

I should probably check out some vendors closer to me. Most of the time I just go to the LHBS about 20 minutes away.

Have ordered from MW and NB mostly. Ordered from Brewmasters Whse 1/6/13 because they are the closest thing to a LHBS I have (1 hour drive). A Polar Ware False Bottom is not a stocked item and is drop shipped from the manufacturer (I knew this) and the other main item, a torpedo filter, was out of stock and back ordered. It is now 11 days out and I have heard nothing of the False Bottom nor the remainder of my order being shipped, even though they were willing to ship my dry yeast and other small items while awaiting arrival of the torpedo filter.
Personally, I cannot recommend Brewmasters and in hindsight should have ordered from MW or NB. I am exploring other sources based on comment here, though.

Even with 10% off, those prices are high (compare with Farmhouse Brewing Supply)... Selection is also small (compare with Rebel Brewer). IMO the brew builder software is extremely limited. Maybe it's good for a complete novice, but it's far too limited for me to even consider. Then again, I just use BeerSmith to make my recipies. It has ALL the ingredients I use (not just what one store sells) as well as my equipment entered into it.

IMO, brewmasters warehouse is a meh vendor. You can get a better selection without much effort. A typical order, for me, from Rebel Brewer arrives in about 3 days time, via ground shipping. Farmhouse is about the same via their standard shipping method. Plus, I've communicated with both of those vendors to make sure things got out in time. Farmhouse gets top marks there. Of course, with my LHBS being Jasper's (http://www.boomchugalug.com/) I get the yeast I want, and can get most anything else I'll need same day. :D No shipping needed. I can even get stuff special ordered (that he doesn't carry/stock) quickly enough. I've had Keg Connection special order things too, with solid results.

Use who you like, but shop smarter. Don't be fooled by software that's supposed to help you out but really doesn't. It's ok for the site (to rough in a recipe) but that's about it. It doesn't replace having good software on hand where you are.

I shop at Golddiggie's. Custom made mash tun, immersion chiller, brew kettle, and the prices are good. :mug:

I went through a progression where I bought kits from the LHBS in the beginning, then used the brew builder from Brewmaster's Warehouse. Now I get bulk hops and grain, and just use the online vendors for specialty grain. Everyone is in a different stage of their brewing.

I'm going to take a stab at it and say that you ordered from Northern Brewer?

No, sadly it was AHS. Really I haven't tried many online retailers yet except AHS and Midwest? Really just trying to find the fastest place to order from. I may just drive to MD Friday and buy the few grains my other shop didn't have :D

Mostly my LHBS. He sells a lot of product so it is always fresh. Prices ar OK. He mills your grain and his crush is very good, so I get good efficiency. I evn buy more grain than I need sometimes and just bring it in next time I brew to get crushed.

I do order hops from Farmhouse because they are a lot cheaper.

I like kkeping the local guy in business, because a couple of times when I needed something at the last minute it is convenient to have him so close.

No, sadly it was AHS. Really I haven't tried many online retailers yet except AHS and Midwest? Really just trying to find the fastest place to order from. I may just drive to MD Friday and buy the few grains my other shop didn't have :D

Same here. Placed an order on Monday, and it still hasn't been shipped. I'm as big of an AHS cheerleader as you'll find, but this feels like a ridiculously long time to fill an order consisting of one recipe and one bottle tree branch.

Since I'm in the "two day zone" for delivery, it looks like I won't be able to brew this weekend, after all, unless I decide to make a run to Alabrew. Color me disappointed.

Same here. Placed an order on Monday, and it still hasn't been shipped. I'm as big of an AHS cheerleader as you'll find, but this feels like a ridiculously long time to fill an order consisting of one recipe and one bottle tree branch.

Since I'm in the "two day zone" for delivery, it looks like I won't be able to brew this weekend, after all, unless I decide to make a run to Alabrew. Color me disappointed.

Haha agreed. I ordered 1 1/2# of Crystal 60, 1 1/2 of Crystal 120, 11oz Brown malt, 11oz Chocolate, 6oz Black Barley and a Vial of WLP001. Just need it to get here so I can brew! ;)

I have I think? 3? Shops near me, one doesn't really carry grain as they are more of a specialty beer shop (hard to find brands) and another is about an hour away. and the one I frequent most was out of Crystal 60 which is why I ordered most of the things I need for this brew offline

My local hbs is rebel brewer. I will occasionally order from northern if they don't have something I want. But I gotta tell you rebel is almost always a few cents cheaper on all the ingredients. I am sure everybody loves their local, but rebel is seriously cheaper. While I make my own recipes, their hop blaster and black ipa kits are awesome too!

I like graintiglasshomebrew.com. I have ordered twice already and the shipping has been fast and secure. They also have great shipping rates $3.99 on orders over $25 and it is free over $75. Throw in low price 4 oz. packs of hops and they always get first shot at my business. Finally the owner is on here every couple of days and that is why I prefer them AHBS, and BMWH. I am going to have to make my next order from AHBS because Grain to Glass doesn't have something I need but I do believe they will get 80% of my business.

Williams brewing is hands down the best in my experience. Low shipping, great prices, and fast shipping. They ship either that day or next and it is here in two days. Called them a time or two also and very helpful. Great catalog and great selection of name brand gear.

Back