So what's the real cost?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewgardner

Reaction score
I am an extract brewer who uses specialty grains...I just brewed my 3rd beer today. I am extremely hooked on this new obsession of mine, but I need to consider my long term goals on this.

I am extremely interested in doing all grain brewing. From what I can tell it would cost me around 100 bucks or so to go all grain. I hope anyways...

I spent 42 dollars today on my recipe - but 12.50 of that was on 5oz of Chinook pellets. So 5 gallons of delicious homebrew for 42 dollars plus my time...not bad.

I know all grain is a much longer process - but what are you averaging per batch on cost? I need to make it work for me financially...because even though I am developing a deep sweet sweet love for homebrew; I am a cheap MoFo.

^Damn...where you getting extract for so cheap? Extract brews generally put me at $85+ per brew, whereas AG brews put me at less than $45.

Are you asking about cost for all grain?
The upgrade itself depends on what you have on hand equipment wise, as for recipe costs I figure about 25-30 dollars all said and done, however I have a nice hop hookup which helps price a bit.

$85 for extract ingredients! Oh....you're in Mass. Sorry!!! My extract ingredients cost about $28 to $45 per 5gal batch. I expect my all grain ingredients to be $15 to $28 per batch unless I am doing something really special.:ban:

^Damn...where you getting extract for so cheap? Extract brews generally put me at $85+ per brew, whereas AG brews put me at less than $45.

$85 is insane.

My average 5 gallon AG batches are under $25 using liquid yeast.

My Mains reasons to move up to all grain
* My average IPA went from $50-$60 down to $30-$40 (I use a ton of hops)
* You have more control with AG setups
* To me its more about being able to say "i brewed that beer from grains" and not "i brewed that beer from liquid syrup"
* Its about brewing the BEST beer i can and not the cheapest beer i can. If i want cheap ill drink PBR.

$85 for extract ingredients! Oh....you're in Mass. Sorry!!! My extract ingredients cost about $28 to $45 per 5gal batch. I expect my all grain ingredients to be $15 to $28 per batch unless I am doing something really special.:ban:

haha yeah...

You get a recipe with 9lbs of LME, and you're already looking at $50 out the door, forget about hops or steeping grains.

My Mains reasons to move up to all grain
Its about brewing the BEST beer i can and not the cheapest beer i can. If i want cheap ill drink PBR.

I get that aspect - but I am also part of a one income family with two kids. I drink good beer because it's really the one thing I give myself. I just want to explore my options. If the difference between extract and all grain is like 5 bucks...I'd probably just stay with extract...but if the difference was like 15 to 20 dollars I'd strongly consider it.

You can buy a pound of chinook pellet hops for $11.25 from hopsdirect! If you're buying more than an ounce or two, it's MUCH cheaper to buy by the pound. You can keep them in the freezer.

You can also buy extract and grain in bulk- it's also much cheaper. I can buy grain for $.75 cents a pound in bulk. sometimes less. It really depends on how much storage you have, if you have a grain mill, where you buy stuff, etc. You can buy extract in bulk cheaper, also.

The "real" answer is different for all of us. I doubt I save much money by homebrewing- beer really isn't that expensive compared to the amount of equipment and time I have invested. But for a hobby I love, making a product I love, it's worth it. I still try to buy all of my hops and grain in bulk, because it's a huge cost savings.

I get that aspect - but I am also part of a one income family with two kids. I drink good beer because it's really the one thing I give myself. I just want to explore my options. If the difference between extract and all grain is like 5 bucks...I'd probably just stay with extract...but if the difference was like 15 to 20 dollars I'd strongly consider it.

It really depends on what type of beer you brew and how much. I know when i first got into AG it was expensive since i needed the equipment. But now that i have it the beers are about $20-$30 cheaper. But i also brew BIG beers (8-12 ABV).

Set up for AG isn't even close to $100. I got set up for under $50 (made a homemade mash tun using a cooler). But you could also do the BIAB for even less then that.

My average batches (with liquid yeast) cost me about $25.

I just started doing biggerminimashes doing half extract and half grain partially the cost and mostly to see how much better it may be.But for 16 bucks for 6#of freshquality NB LME thats not bad.I would start trying minmashes after a while to see what you think.

You know what's ridiculous - I just yelled to my wife that Yooper posted on my thread because I was very excited. She didn't get it - I don't think she ever will.

Like I said earlier - I AM IN LOVE WITH HOMEBREW! Maybe if I hadn't been on disability for the past few months (tore everything in my knee and I can't work on my Frito Lay Truck) this wouldn't have manifested into the absolute obsession that it feels like. I just want to get everything that I can out of it. And if I want to craft big strong ales like you JoeBronco or start making chocolate milk stouts like someone else - I want to know the best and most practical way to do it - I think maybe the hardest part is reigning myself in.

I guess Boston sux for LHBS. $85 is a ripoff. With current promotion @ AHS you can get 5 anniversary kits for $100 :). Easy math for everyone and I'll let you discover more terms of the offer on your own before sounding like a shill :)

You know what's ridiculous - I just yelled to my wife that Yooper posted on my thread because I was very excited. She didn't get it - I don't think she ever will.

Even I don't get it.......................I posted over 29,000 times. They all have to go somewhere!

My husband probably just wishes I'd "shut up about the beer already!"

:D

I buy 55# sacks of grain for $40
A pound of hops for about $10
and I'm re-using yeast now
so maybe it's 15 bucks per 5 gallons

Another option is to do partial mashes. That's what I do now. You don't need to invest in all the equipment to do an all grain batch, the ingredients will be a bit lower in cost, you can do partial boils, you have more control over the process, and you can do recipes that require a mashing step.

Also, any recipe, all grain or extract, can be converted to a partial mash. So, unlike extract batches, you can brew almost anything.

By the way, I'll see you tomorrow! I'll be buying ingredients for a partial mash at the LHBS.

I found new ways to source grains. I grow my own hops and plan on reusing yeast - I figure a nice pale ale or IPA will run me between $9 - $15 for a 5 gal batch.

...I doubt I save much money by homebrewing- beer really isn't that expensive compared to the amount of equipment and time I have invested. But for a hobby I love, making a product I love, it's worth it...

Couldn't have put it better. I am still doing extract, but slowly acquiring equipment to go all grain. As a hobby, it's great, I'm smitten. As a way to make cheap beer, not so much.

It's been said by the likes of Charlie Papazian and Jamil Zainasheff that great beer can be made using extract, and that it can be difficult to tell the difference in flavor between extract and all grain.

i'm drinking a very expensive brew for me right now: a belhaven scottish ale clone that cost about $50 for 12 gallons (about $20 for 5 gallons). but we don't stay in it for the price. if you're doing it for that, that's the wrong reason

Since I got a few sacks of grain via the group buy, I've shaved a good amount off of my batch costs... With washing yeast, I'm saving more... So, for one of my 'normal' brews (OG in the range of 1.055-1.075) I'm spending under $12... If I buy a fresh package of yeast, it's still only about $20... I buy hops online, in bulk, paying about 1/4th the price of what the LHBS charges... I would love it if hopsdirect actually had the hops I like to use in stock... Maybe they will when I'm closer to actually needing some.

If you wash your yeast, your price per batch will be reduced. If you buy grain in bulk (with a group buy), your costs will be much less. Get a grain mill and you'll be able to brew pretty much whenever you want (once you have washed yeast on hand and hops in the freezer)...

Chances are, if you shop smart, you'll be able to brew even a big barleywine for under $25-$30... I have an English barleywine in the works that will cost me about $22 if I use washed yeast, $30 if I need to buy new yeast. That's something that will be in the 12-13% ABV range too...

Once you get your initial hardware purchase out of the way (depending on which route you take there) you should be able to recover those costs in batch savings over the course of a year. Brew enough, and that will happen sooner.

Look for a home brew club in your neck of the woods... If there is, see if they do a club grain buy. If not, you can try to organize one for your area in the section here... Or jump in on one that's being planned... We did one about a month ago, and I hope we do another in less than a year from now.

I buy 55# sacks of grain for $40
A pound of hops for about $10
and I'm re-using yeast now
so maybe it's 15 bucks per 5 gallons

I'm in a pretty similar boat and I do BIAB. To be honest, going all-grain can save you a ton of money, or it can be a way to spend a ton of money buying the next upgrade that you think will improve your system or beer. I tend to be in the latter category, but for me it's about a hobby and not about cost-effective beer.

I am surprised that Golddiggie didn't mention this already, but before spending a bunch of money on all grain equipment look into the BIAB (brew in a bag) process.

I am surprised that Golddiggie didn't mention this already, but before spending a bunch of money on all grain equipment look into the BIAB (brew in a bag) process.

I know, I know, I should have... But I just can't get over how easy it was to use the cooler MT last brew day... No more risking messing up my back lifting the sack of wet, heavy grain out of the mash pot, and trying to get it into the sparge pot without making a mess, or worse, spilling precious wort. :eek:

I will say, that you can use aluminum pots with easy. You can convert them into kettles without issue (easier to drill through aluminum than SS after all)...

I will say that if you're looking to get into all grain brewing without buying a lot of hardware, BIAB is a good option. If you already have some good sized pots (28-40qt) then you just need to get some ~$5 nylon mesh bags (get two, one in reserve)... It will help you to learn the processes for brewing all grain. Then, when you're ready, you can step up the hardware... If you already have a cooler that's over 40qt, convert it into a MT. You can do it for as little as ~$30 or up to about ~$75, depending on the route you take. If your stove has issues heating up 5-8 gallons of water to a boil (and not take an hour+ to do it) get a propane burner and you'll be loving it.

Right now, my brewing hardware (can brew almost anywhere now) consists of the 32qt aluminum kettle, 70qt Coleman Xtreme MT, a 20qt pot (for heating up the sparge water), propane burner (and tank), wood stir paddle (for the mash), instant read thermometer, home made IC (wort chiller), Barley Crusher, 6.5 gallon bucket (for the grain to go into), and my 11# digital scale. As long as I have a cold water feed to chill the wort, I can bring everything I need with me. That includes brew water... Love having a pickup truck. :D

I figure that with what I have now, for brewing, I've invested under $400 total. A good chunk of that was the BC and burner. The pot was under $45, the ball valve in it was about $30 (1/2" brass)... I can use my 60qt kettle if we're going to brew a 10 gallon batch too. :D

I think I'm fully obsessed with brewing now.. :rockin:

Forgot to mention... Using the water from my under the sink two stage filter system... About $0.04/gallon... :D

My lhbs' extract kits are generally between 28 and 55 bucks with the higher priced ones being imperial stouts, IPAs, or heavy Belgian ales; all include liquid yeast. If I use store bought water that will add about 8 bucks.

I personally stay away from the kits that the local hb stores sell, way overpriced for me. You can buy the extract in 33 lb containers for less than $2 a pound and follow any number of recipes.

As others have stated grain is a lot cheaper, less than a $1 a pound in bulk. Recycle your yeast and either grow your own hops or again buy in bulk. If you go the online route always check shipping costs.

I'm confused. I thought homebrewing was a way to save money on beer. Take the number of batches you've brewed, multiply it by 50, multiply that by $1.50 a beer, and you're looking at some serious money. I've more than covered the cost of my equipment and ingredients, as long as I don't factor in compensation for the time I spend brewing...brewing isn't exactly hard work, and I enjoy it.

For example, I've brewed $2,250 worth of beer. If each batch costs on average 30 bucks, that's only $900. I'm pretty much all set for 5 gallon batches (AG setup, nice thermometer, digitally-controlled ferm chamber, kegerator) and the equipment didn't cost close to the remainder, $1,350. All profit, baby.

Also, I've been able to brew beer on par or better than commercially available beer for some time, just like anyone who's been brewing for a bit. So it's not just cost-saving, it's also a better product than what I can buy. Finally, there's the factor of brewing it yourself. What's not to love?

Lot's of good advice in this thread. For me, going AG saved me about 40%, right of the bat. Now that I am washing and reusing my yeast and buying hops in bulk, I'm saving more than that.

DME and LME are quite expensive compared to the same amount of gravity points from an AG mash.

Now if only I could find a group grain buy in the Atlanta area, I'd be set.

+1 On hopsdirect, as mentioned before if you are buying more than an ounce or two of hops that you use regularly buy bulk. For my last two brews, rather than buy the quantities needed, I got two lbs for less.

My MLT cost me under $35 dollars to build, using that and bulk grain, it paid for itself over buying LME in three batches. I already had a kettle and a bottling bucket, that is all you need.

Plus I enjoy it and I enjoy fresh brew.

haha yeah...

You get a recipe with 9lbs of LME, and you're already looking at $50 out the door, forget about hops or steeping grains.

11.50 for a 3# bag at northern brewer or 11.95 at Midwest.

Extract is going to be your most expensive ingredient, but 50 bucks for 9# is too much! 9# of DME for a 5 gal batch is an awful lot, too. Those must be some pretty serious beers you're making.

rexbanner, doing the numbers comparing what I've brewed with what I would have paid to drink what I used to, I've easily saved almost $500 over my first 10 batches compared with buying an equal amount of brew. Only my first three were extract batches, #4 was a mostly mash, and then it's been all grain since then. So, that's more than I spent on the hardware to change over to all grain, saved... :rockin: moving forward, I'm going to be in the black compared with buying beer. :ban: Recovering cost of buying ingredients will happen fast too, especially buying in bulk/smart... Even if I spend $400-$500 a year in ingredients (grain, hops, yeast, etc.) I'll still be ahead of the game pretty fast (my batch average is under $20)...

Nice when you can put it into context like that... :rockin: I do see that as a side benefit though... Main reason to home brew is for what you're getting for brew.

I think you guys and gals are failing to acknowledge a key element. You brew because you love it or at least gravitate toward it. It’s a hobby (that results in beer, which we shall return to later). Imagine if you will that you are a golfer (no offence intended to golfing brewers). You buy cheap clubs at $300 or go top of the line for a gozillian dollars (as in any hobby). If you want beat a ball around the grass for several hours every few weeks you spend $35 to $85 in green fees. If you golf like me you will start with 20 balls and leave with none so we'll average $65 in green fees and $20 in balls gone every few weeks, no return. If you paintball [my last "hobby" which I have not done in 3 ½ years (daughter is 3 years old now)] you can get a "beginners" kit for about $80 (which you will hate after someone with a $1,000 paintball gun nails you 13 times before you can say "out"). By the way, it hurts. But before you can play you have to buy a $30 case of paint balls if you want cheap ones. Mind you, you can not buy cheap balls on the net, you must buy the field owner's paint balls. You leave the paintball field with less than you started with, no return, in fact, negative return, if you count the bruises you leave with. Lets not even get into flying hobby aircraft (gravity sucks) no return, hobby RC (did you see that crash?) no return, or racing actual cars, less than first place consecutively, no return, etc., etc, etc.

Now, back to home brewing. Same hobby investment levels $100 to a gozillian dollars. However, at the end of brewing, fermenting, bottling/kegging, which generated, for a dedicated brewer, as much fun/enjoyment as golfing, paint balling, RCing, racing etc. you get beer to drink for days or weeks. Very few other hobbies result in prolonged satisfaction.

If you value your FREE time at (lets go cheap here) $50 an hour, you must subtract $50 for every hour you spend brewing, botteling, (maybe even drinking) from your brewing costs, because you love it and you do it because you love it.

RMitch said:

DAMN! Where are you buying your stuff from? I've got 4 LBHS in a somewhat close proximity and the pricing is all the same, I can do an extract run for 45-50 and all grain for 30-35.

all in all, with the money I've spent on this hobby -

It's cheaper than fishing!

Hmmmm. I bought an older cheap boat for fishing.

I bought an all-electric brew rig.

I'd say I'm about even in costs!

Sure, the ingredients are cheap but I've got at least $3000 in equipment. I'd have to drink a heck of a lot more to "break even!".

know all grain is a much longer process - but what are you averaging per batch on cost? I need to make it work for me financially...because even though I am developing a deep sweet sweet love for homebrew; I am a cheap MoFo.

If you're looking at it financially, AG is a no brainer. It's easily cheaper. Equipment costs are NOT that pricey if you simply build some of it yourself. If the "immense" equipment costs are preventing you from going AG then think about it this way...you're spending $42 on an extract batch...you'll spend $25 on an AG batch. That's $15 per batch cheaper that pays for the equipment in itself. After 6 batches you've saved $100, that's a mash tun and a few other pieces.

Some of the prices people are giving you are bulk prices. This is the real way to save in the hobby. As others have mentioned, www.hopsdirect.com will save you tons if you just buy your hops in bulk.

I'm not in this hobby to brew cheap beer, but I do enjoy saving myself money on a hobby. I'm a cheap MoFo too

Hmmmm. I bought an older cheap boat for fishing.

I bought an all-electric brew rig.

Do you ever BIAB....

Brew in a boat?

$85 for extract is insane. I finally took a trip to my LHBS in Chicago and found the prices for extract comparable to the best online prices, without the hassle and cost of shipping. Why not just buy online instead of paying absurd prices locally?

Back