So what is this in my primary?? PIC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanemoseley

Reaction score
I brewed a PM of Ed's Haus Pale Ale and after 3 days I checked the gravity and saw something I never have before, best I can guess is something from the hops or small bits of grain that got through the bag and were left in for the boil. I don't attempt to strain or separate the hops.

primary1.jpg

primary2.jpg

Yep. Looks like husk material to me. But someone with much more experience can tell you for sure.

Do you whirlpool before you go from kettle to primary?

B

Thanks guys. And I was confusing myself, it was actually the Hobgoblin II batch I kegged Sunday, got my brews mixed up. Guess some grain did a good job of getting through my grain bag and doesn't settle out. I don't whirlpool cause I just dump out my kettle not siphon, although I may try that on a batch to see what gets left behind.

I would try to use a siphon to go from kettle to fermenter (after whirlpooling), you will leave a lot of stuff behind. Also, try not to peek at the primary!

Back