So.... what is "Ale" by any other standards??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nebraskan

Assoc. Winemaker
Reaction score
I was looking at a Youtube.com video and saw this comment, which I might share here, since it's posted on Youtube as a comment, and ask. What sort of mechanics/chemistry is involved in Ale brewing??

"Hot side oxidation begins when the water is slopped into the malt, stirred like mad and the lid closed for an hour. Home made beer usually goes from the boiler to belly in four weeks, the damage does not set in. Real issues become myth due to the type of liquid home made beer brewers produce. The liquid is basically distillers wash. I'm not sure that any experiments are of value when it comes to brewing Ale or Lager due to the poor quality liquid the experiments are performed on. High modified malt means that the malt has less enzyme content. The malt is high protein, except for certain types of Marris Otter which are very high modified malt but it is low protein. Marris Otter is distillers malt that home brewers have been convinced will make Ale and it will if enzymes are added. High protein malt contains less starch which means less sugar. It is basically, distillers grade malt. The single infusion is used in the brewing industry as a means to test malt. the temperature used for testing can be found in every recipe for producing home made beer. The method is used to produce grain alcohol. The liquid is called wash, the slang is moonshiners beer. That is the type of liquid that most home brewers produce which somehow by magic becomes Ale. It is chemically and enzymatically impossible to produce Ale using single infusion, single temperature method. The part about high sparge temps; you failed to mention that the complex starch called amylo-pectin enters into solution at temperature of 169 F and up. The starch bursts, the enzymes denature due to the high temperature and the occurrence creates starch carry over. But, that is probably a myth, as well. By the way, when you toss the starch in the garden notice that the birds are eating it. They are eating your money, more importantly, they are eating the starch that produces Ale and Lager. Yup, squeeze the bag, might as well squish the protein mud, protein gum, beta glucan and carry over starch right into the boiler, not to worry about tannin. Batch sparge while you're at it, that method insures that the highest amount of goop goes into the boiler. The method claims to increase efficiency, all that it increases is the amount of goop in the wort that a hydrometer floats high in. When the goop drops out, the hydrometer sinks and the brewer believes a false reading. Unless, your taste buds are tuned for drinking moonshiners beer with hops added continue to make home made style beer because everything works and everything that causes issues in Ale and Lager are myths. It is a conn story used to convince novices that anything goes and not much knowledge is needed to produce Ale. If novices knew what it takes to produce Ale the home made beer empire would not exist as it does today."

Not my thoughts.... his. Youtube video of Brewing myths is here:
Basically saying we are all drinking cheaply and poorly made distiller's wash with a bit of hops thrown in for good measure. THIS is from one of the commenters not from the 2 guys hosting the video BTW.

I have to throw the BS flag. I'll admit I didn't read the whole quote. BS = beer stuff. They've been drinking way to much and spewing utube/internet myths. I could be wrong. Like I said, I couldn't make it all the way through without feeling like I was wasting my time.
I have a horrible cold so am feeling grumpy.
Cheers

As I stated here https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=30839.msg401330#msg401330:

The video itself is actually quite good and effectively summarizes a lot of debunked myths.

On the other hand, the comment on the video, repeated in the original post above, is of course garbage from a troll. Do not feed the troll!

Thank you Dave. It was the way the guy ended his comment, stating "if "we" only knew how difficult it is to make ale"..... implying that proper ale production is out of the realm of the kitchen brewer.

The video was interesting, but the commenter was a dark cloud of doubt in all that beer brewers (at home) do, suggesting, basically, we make horse piss. LOL

Last edited:
Commenter was just a troll looking to get a rise out of a bunch of people. Most trolls know nothing about topics they are trolling and just regurgitate crap found on the internet.

Social media, as a technological advancement, hasn't improved education levels. In this particular instance, it seems to amplify the ignorance that went mostly unnoticed before the Internet became a playground for fools.
This sort of stuff agitates me, because some people may take this guy's bias seriously. In a larger sense, the only defense against fools is to arm yourself with a bit of know-how and avoid them like the plague.

Last edited:
The best part of any online video, news feed, or blog is the psycho comments that follow. Personally, I enjoy them.

You can't take them too seriously, and God help you if you actually take any of their advice. :D

Everyone has an opinion - even the chronically uninformed. Because of the internet they now have a forum as well.

The best part of any online video, news feed, or blog is the psycho comments that follow. Personally, I enjoy them.

You can't take them too seriously, and God help you if you actually take any of their advice. :D

Everyone has an opinion - even the chronically uninformed. Because of the internet they now have a forum as well.

When I read or watch anything on-line I can’t WAIT for the comments. That’s the best part, usually.

The comment was so ignorant, it was a waste of perfectly good calories to read it. But also, the guys on the video need to curb their beer consumption prior to recording.

I will refrain from revealing my true feelings and simply say this. Homebrewers would never be able to scale up to a brewery if this was true. It’s generally agreed that the difficult part of being successful as a brewery is marketing. If your beer is good enough to invest a few 100 grand, you’re either making good beer, or never let anyone else try it.

If you're not a super genius, you're part retard. Some have bigger parts.
LOL.

Really, his last remark made me wonder just a bit... I have made wine for years and cider for a few years (at our winery) but following protocol and making good beer like y'all is fairly new to me. Back in Nebraska, I only had local wild hops, and who knows how long they keep! And it was hit or miss, and had alcohol and kept you seated if you drank a little too much, but was not an earnest endeavor... back then. It is now.

Growing up on the family farms around Central City, Fullerton and Silver Creek, those damn sure weren't hops growing along the Loop and the North Platte :)

Growing up on the family farms around Central City, Fullerton and Silver Creek, those damn sure weren't hops growing along the Loop and the North Platte :)

Yea... LOL that neck of the woods was ripe with Nebraska "no buzz" in most ditches... although it is a relative of hops. :) Up at Crawford, along the White River, near Glenn, I found wild indigenous hops growing. Also found some along the fence line down by Lewellen, NE as well.... no they did not have 5 or 7 leaves..... That was rather humulus of you :)

Honestly this sounds like a comment from a “pro” brewer who just lost his ass when John Doe down the road decided to open his own brew house.
there is a lot of nonsense in there, but if you try hard enough to read it fully objectively, I'm left with the same sentiment.

however there is often some grain of truth in the dumbest statement. IMHO here it is mentioning the short shelf life we often expect from homebrew.
hey, isn't that a rather positive thing!
yes, if you want to have very long shelf life at room temperature, you better get your act together with regard to oxidation, filtration, flash pasteurization, malt selection, etc. all things that won't cause me sleepless nights; I pick the ingredients based on how they taste not how they influence stability 6 months from now and avoid oxidation where its technically easy.
taste is the determining factor for homebrew, not commercial success. and to me I have the feeling the person writing this comment did not succeed on either of them.

I think he's being intentionally hilarious... getting everyone riled up. Probably posted in this thread already :p

Latest posts

Back