SO, umm what to do now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Draygon

Reaction score
This is the first time I have had this problem. I brewed a stout yesterday, waited till it was at 80 and pitched my yeast. By yesterday night it was bubblin away, this morning I noticed it was significantly stopped, and now just got home and it is completely stopped.

I have not taken a gravity reading yet, havent wanted to open up the lid at all.

I doubt that the yeast ate up all the sugars in a matter of 24 hours, the only thing I can think of is when I re-hydrated my yeast I let it sit around for about 30 min, which IMO shouldnt have made it go bad.

So thoughts? I used Safales S-04 , should I pitch some more, or what?

Oh and I used 6lbs of DLE and a cup of DME, so it has plenty of sugar to be munching on.

Edit: Also this is my 7th batch, not first I should have mentioned that I do have a fairly good idea of what Im doing :)

good point, Ill say that all "Visual" signs have stopped, ie no more bubbling, but to me if its not eating the sugars and producing that CO2, and producing the bubbles...its not doing well after only about 24 hours.

Yea I figured they would, its just bothersome givin that of the 7 batches Ive done, none of them have had this issue, all have been active (visually) for at least 3 days.

I'm sure it's fine. If you're worried, pop open the lid and take a look. If you're really worried, take a hydro reading. Then leave it alone for 2-3 weeks.

BTW pitching at 80 degrees is really too warm and I wouldn't be surprised if your fermentation went quickly at that temp.

OK, first off you rehydrated your yeast so it was ready and raring to go. Then you pitched it into warm wort, warmer than I would want to. If you kept it where it is a bit warm, the yeast will really get to chowing down the sugars and yes, the sugars can be all gone by now. It isn't done fermenting because in their haste to eat all the sugars the yeast also made a few other compounds and if it has time, it will digest these compounds too and make more alcohol. If your fermenter was at room temperature, give the yeast plenty of time because they made a bunch of compounds that you won't like to drink.

I was searching for a specific member's standard response to this, but can't find it....I'm sure he'll be along shortly anyway, but it is to, basically, cover it up, put it away, and don't look at the pretty bubbles for a coupla weeks. All'll be well. Kyle

Back