so, this kinda a quick question. that needs a quick answer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so i got 3 kegs full of oj sugar wash....and don't judge me to harshly, i spend my time here playing word games and avoid talking about brewing mostly! but i used a sump pump to pump it into kegs, and i think a bit to much of the rice bran and wheat germ came over with the wash....no love at the tap.

i KNOW this sorta thing would never happen to you guys, but put yourself in my dry tap sittuation for fun and toss out some ideas on how to blow the dip tube out....

i tried shaking the keg a bit allready, no luck..i tried boosting psi to 25, no luck, not a drop.

anymore creative ways you can think to deal with it, and save the ol' bracc from dreaded sobriety?

i'll only accept serious, professional ideas! ;) :mug:

edit: and NO! not THAT kind of proffesional help! 🤣

If the dip tube is clogged with grain other debris, maybe use CO2 to back flush the liquid line.

Of course the debris will still be there, but you might manage a drink...before it clogs again. If you've got some grain fragments firmly lodged in liquid line poppet, that could cause problems too.

Perhaps consider taking out liquid line poppet and cleaning dip tube while at it.

None of the solutions that difficult, but you will have to de pressure. And I guess we should not worry too much about 02 contamination on some 3 week old sugar wash.

i apreciate the replies, i tried the blowout the dip tube with 40 psi, no love....i think i got it solved though....i opened both the kegs and gently pour them into a bucket, rinsed them out then refilled them...and i tested one and it's pouring for the moment...

i was going to crack a joke about 'i hope i don't lose my OJ charecter from O2" but i see dland beat me to it!

depresingly half a keg was lost in the proccess....

How about tilting the keg to the dip tube side letting it all settle to that side then blast it out?

How about tilting the keg to the dip tube side letting it all settle to that side then blast it out?

we were talking thick wheat germ sludge, i don't think the keg would stand the pressure needed to push it through the dip tube, or the poppet.....

and for my 'vacation' from brewing every week, i did my last batch of sugar wash with wheat germ that i just strained the juice into the fermenter, wasn't really active but for the 1lb or so of wheat germ, dropped about 1.010 a day for a week...shouldn't have a problem with sludge on this one...

we were talking thick wheat germ sludge, i don't think the keg would stand the pressure needed to push it through the dip tube, or the poppet.....

and for my 'vacation' from brewing every week, i did my last batch of sugar wash with wheat germ that i just strained the juice into the fermenter, wasn't really active but for the 1lb or so of wheat germ, dropped about 1.010 a day for a week...shouldn't have a problem with sludge on this one...
Oh i see, best of luck bud

Oh i see, best of luck bud
i'll get back to the beer thing, but for now....

1654373042437.png

Latest posts

Back