So this is what I got...IPA Recipe suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MississippiSlim

Reaction score
I have
Plenty of Pale
Crystal 90, 60, 20
Chocolate

I have Cascade, Willamette, Simcoe, Maybe a little magnum,and an ounce or so of citra.

I am like citrusy, floral, piney IPAs...whats yalls suggestions

12lbs. pale
1/2 lb. crystal 60L
.5 oz magnum 60
.5 oz simcoe 60
1 oz cascade 30
1 oz simcoe 20
1 oz citra 15
.5 oz cascade 5
1 oz simcoe dry hop
1 oz cascade dry hop
Thats what I would brew, Good luck!!!

Looks like a good recipe to me. I'd move the 60min simcoe to being a FWH and throw in some more cascade/simcoe at 0 for a hopstand. You're looking at delicious with those ingredients pretty much no matter what- nice selection of hops to have on hand in particular.

This is what I love about brewing. You have some ingredients and everybody might have a different way to make a good beer. I really hope this gets a lot of reply's as it would be cool to see different takes on your ingredients.

Here is what I might do.

Mashed at 148 for about 90 - 120 min for a dry beer and shooting for a OG of about 1.065 - 1.070.
Pale Malt - 95%
Crystal 20 - 2.5%
Crystal 90 - 2.5%

Overall I would shoot for around 65 - 70 IBU's
I would want these 90 and 60 bittering additions to be a total of 30 - 35 of the overall IBU's
.25 oz +/- Magnum 90 min
.25 oz +/- Simcoe 90 min
.25 oz +/- Magnum 60 min
.25 oz +/- Simcoe 60 min

.5 oz Simcoe 20 min
1 oz Cascade 20 min

.5 oz Simcoe 10 min
.5 oz Citra 10 min
1 oz Cascade 10 min

.5 oz Simcoe 5 min
1 oz Citra 5 min
2 oz Cascade 5 min

Dry hop with about 2 oz Cascade for 3-4 days

American Ale Yeast

Williamette is a great hop but I think with what you have the simcoe and cascade a the small amount of the citra should give you that floral, citrus , piney taste that you are looking for. I would like to see what others come up with.

All the above Sounds good to me. I have been brewing everyone elses favorites lately so its time for some hoppy goodness for me! Last beers have been an amber, a couple hefes, a Dunkel, and a couple nut browns so I am ready for something different. Plus I am ready for spring and nothing says Spring to me like a good IPA!

Start with a pale base to about the OG you want to reach (1.060s)
Add 4-6% Crystal 20
Add 4-6% Sugar
This should put you in the late 1.060s.

No Willamette, Chocolate. No Crystal 90. Only use Crystal 60 if you must.

Target 60 IBUs, gaining all of of that from 60/30 min additions. Then completely pound it out at 0 min. and dryhop. Go heavier on the Simcoe in the dryhop. Cheers!!

Back