So tell me if youve seen this before...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elky

Reaction score
I brewed up a pale ale today and did all the normal things, used DME per the recipie and Irish moss for the first time. Because my wort chiller is missing I racked cold water on top of the wort and shook it up a bit. I came back to it to see if it was ready to pitch the yeast and it looked like the malt had fallen out of solution. Anyone ever see this?

Is it a side affect of the Irish moss?

from the title of the post I thought I was going to see a pic...hard to say from your description. Do you mean it's stratified...with lighter layers on top? Maybe just stir it up with a sanitized spoon.

If there's a pic there, I don't see it. But pic hosting sites are blocked here at work, so meh.

Sounds like it could cold break material. I don't have a lot of extract experience, so I don't know if that's an issue, but that's what I would guess. Getting a good, fast chill will help some of the proteins come out of solution in a manner similar to what you have described.

It could also be the Irish moss as well. But brewing AG, I got that gunk dropping out during cooling without using Irish moss.

I'd just shake it up really well and then let the yeast do their work. I am sure its fine.

Its sounds like what happens when you get a really good cold break. I have never used irish moss but I use whirfloc tablets wich are the same thing and if I get a really fast cool I get a lot of stuff in my beer. Its normal and fine it will settle out after a couple weeks in the fermenter.

Don't know if the picture worked, I can't see it but I'm on the mobile app so that might be it. I'm glad you guys say its nothing, I've just never seen that much stucff come out of solution so fast. I tried stirring it back in but that only lasted a few minutes. Its in a closet with a blow off tube for now, we'll see how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back