So many kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 263363

Reaction score
Little bit of background here. I used to biab small batches of beer. I finally decided to expand to 5 gallon batches and with that I got an Anvil Foundry as my equipment of choice. So 7 brews in and I just wasn’t in love with the Foundry. I posted it for sale and it was gone in a day.

Anywho, I made some of my best beers with a kettle and a bag. I am going back to that now. I have decided on a 15 gallon kettle with a @wilserbrewer bag.

My question, how in the world do I decide what kettle to get? There’s so many choices out there. Budget is not a huge concern as the money I got from my Foundry should easily cover it. If you were in the market for a brand new 15gallon kettle, what would you spend your money on?

Gonna leave a little note that I am leaning towards a Spike, but SS Brewtech is having a decent sale this weekend too. Hmmm

It would help to understand what you didn't like about the Foundry because that may influence a recommendation. Are you planning to go back to flame powered?

I’m sure the Foundry is a top performer in the All-in-one game, but I think that equipment is just not my cup of tea. I didn’t really see the need for the whole recirculating pump system and maybe my old BIAB set up made me lazy but I just couldn’t get the efficiency I was used to. My last brew on it I almost hit my target OG at 65% efficiency and my old BIAB set up was consistently on target at 70% or even above more than a couple times.

I do plan to go with a propane burner. I have a propane setup on my house so the ultimate goal will be to add a connection on my back patio so I’ll never have to worry about running out of fuel.

I know SS and Spike make really nice toys, but there are a few that offer 16 gallon vs the 15 they have.

I’m only going 15 because so many people have said that they didn’t regret going 15 even with only making 5 gallons at a time. I might get a wild hair and brew a 10 gallon batch one day too. But I doubt that 1 gallon difference would be a deal maker or breaker for me.

I did as much internet 'research' as possible a couple months ago. For me the choices were Spike ($300 ish), SS Brewtech ($200-230 ish), and generic whatever pot ($60).

I went the cheapo route but think the spike and brewtech would have been sweet. Main difference between those two for me was welded (Spike) vs weldless (brewtech) fittings.

Those are solid choices on your kettle size and bag brand. You won't regret either of those.

Which kettle? If you think you'll be most satisfied with a simple inexpensive kettle you upgrade with a DIY drain valve, then go that route. If you think you'll be most satisfied with a blingy kettle, then go that route.

Just get whichever one will make you happy. The wort is not going to care one way or the other.

I've had a 10 gallon Polar Ware for the past 15 years or so. Great pot, still, when I met up with a Craigslist guy to but 4 kegs I couldn't pass up on a converted keg for $35! Too cheap to pass up. I haven't used it yet but a 10 gallon brewday is in my future.

I think an important feature is a triclad bottom. My HLT is a keggle, it doesn't heat as fast as my kettles with the triclad bottom. I would want welded fittings as well. I'm about to weld some fittings on my 25g kettle. It is virtually a Mega Pot. I bought it from a local restaurant store.

I have a 15 gallon Blichmann Boilermaker, and it's a nice kettle, but I only bought it becasue it was 30% off. If I were to buy something new for BIAB, I would get one without a sightglass or thermometer port. I would prefer volume markings on the inside of the kettle to a sight glass. I've never had a tri-clad bottom and personally wouldn't see it as a necessary feature even when heating with a flame.

My only negative to my SS Brewtechs, owned both a 5.5 and now a 10 gal, are the additional ports I don't use. Ideally I would have gone with a Spike with nothing but a butterfly valve and a port for the electric element. Ultimately went with SS Brewtech because of the sale they have going on. My reasoning for saying I would go with the spike is the ability to custom order a kettle to your liking in the event they don't have a configuration you want. Sure it comes at an extra cost but saves you from having to go buy the tool(s) and as a bonus you get sanitary welds vs having more threads to worry about harboring bacteria or leaking. Just my two cents.

Thanks everyone for all the input. I ended up going with an SS Brewtech 10 gal kettle. Someone posted it elsewhere on here that it was $120 on Amazon. I was planning on a 15 gallon, but I couldnt pass up this deal. It will still allow for high gravity small batches, and to be honest I don't need more than 2.5 gallons of Imperial Stout or Barleywine any way lol.

Back