So just how high is your efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbaillargeon

Reaction score
So I brewed the Common Room ESB I found in the recipes section this morning.

I am new to using my corona mill, I used the LHBS crushing service instead in the past. But I figured that at 60$, it would pay for itself rather quiclky

With batch sparging and using this mill, I got a 82% efficiency. Not that I would complain about too much alcohol, but this ESB will kick some wallop . :D

Anybody else gets crazy stuff from a corona style mill?

I've gotten up to 85% on my corona mill and batch sparging. After making some adjustments, I am averaging 75% eff almost every time. Nice BTW!

I average about 75% efficiency with my cooler system batch sparging. I'm cool with that because I know that's what I'm gonna get.

5 gallon batches are close to 75%. 10 gallons is closer to 68%. Don't know why or care. Just as long as it stays the same.

I'm still trying to dial mine in.

Barley Crusher and Fly Sparge my last three 5 gallon batches were between 80 and 87. The 10 gallon batch I'm currently chilling I got 87.

I was consistently at 79% with $20 frankenstein Corona mill off Amazon...but have since increased double batch sparge water to account for boil-off on new brew stove, have hit 87%, 84%, and 87% last 3 batches

I use a Corona Mill, and BIAB with the "sparge through a colander" technique. My efficiency varies, but predictably. Higher gravity beers I get about 70% efficiency, session beers I get about 76%, and normal gravity beers I get about 73%. I'd like to get higher efficiency, but in the mean time with the restrictions of apartment brewing it's the best I can do, and I can do it consistently, so it's good enough for me.

I use a Corona Mill, and BIAB with the "sparge through a colander" technique. My efficiency varies, but predictably. Higher gravity beers I get about 70% efficiency, session beers I get about 76%, and normal gravity beers I get about 73%. I'd like to get higher efficiency, but in the mean time with the restrictions of apartment brewing it's the best I can do, and I can do it consistently, so it's good enough for me.

Nothing wrong with those numbers. Especially with BIAB..

I get 71% with my corona mill every single time. I could probably close the gap a little more and squeeze out ~80% efficiency, but I don't feel it is so necessary when at this point I am getting a consistent product with no stuck sparge and that tastes good.

I get about 70% with the Barley Crusher :(. I guess I'll have to stir when I add the sparge water. I'll try this next time, I'm sure I can get at least 75%.

I get 95% with a mash out and double batch sparge, 85% without the mashout w/ single sparge. My corona from walmart is set for 'flour tight'.

My process is to pull up the bag and drain until it starts running slower. Drop the bag into an empty pail with a stainless colander in the bottom resting upside down so it will drain. Tip: I also lay my mash paddle on the side as a burp valve. Crank up the flame in the boil kettle. Maybe toss in some FWH hops. Twist the bag to squeeze out more goodness and dump it into the boil kettle while it is nearing the boil. In the spare pail I pour in the sparge water and give it a good stir (no stuck sparges ova hea;)). Drain and transfer into the boil kettle. At this point it is usually close to the hot break. Then I eyeball the boil kettle volume and add a second sparge charge that will give me a good 7 gallons. I give that another good stir, drain and top off the boil kettle. Usually I've just had a good hot break and so I top off the boil kettle up near the top and I don't have to worry about boil overs. When I regain the boil I start the clock for hop additions.

I haven't had any astringency from shredded husks (I believe it is pH dependent) and I haven't noticed a negative taste difference with the higher efficiency but I am planning a no sparge to see if it is a shangri-la moment. I don't sweat going for high efficiency but the sparges are just very easy with the extra pail. It's not like I'm dead lifting 20lbs the whole time.

Note: I do stir the grains every 10 minutes while mashing just for something to do.

I have a valley mill. I have been as high as 85%, but I backed off my crush to 80%. With my HERMS and process its sooooo dialed in, and the beer is better. I caution everyone against the empty promise of high efficiency. Homebrewers should shoot for 70-80% no more no less...:mug:

I've been getting a typical efficiency of 75-80% since I got my new BC, but my last brew was a high gravity brew and I didn't anticipate the drop in efficiency. I only got 66.6% on that one. Not bad, I just wish I had accounted for it when designing my recipe.

I use a Barley Crusher. I've gotten as high as 93% once with it (only 9lbs of grain, stirred lots, mashed out), I average around 83% though. This is with the default gap. Tightening it up I got around 88% average but too much fluffy trub that wouldn't settle quickly in the fermenter.

I build all recipes now at 80% efficiency in Beersmith and if I get a bit more, good deal, but I know I won't get less.

This is all BIAB'ing it.

I am getting 85% lately with the schmidling mill at the LHBS. I must point out that the mill and mash technique (biab/fly/batch) are only small parts of efficiency success. With a poor technique (no mash out, sparge too cold, bad water pH) even the best crush can go to waste. It isn't all about the mill.

75-80% with a Monster Mill 3 roller, fly sparge. It's WAY more important to be consistent than to get high numbers. The efficiency pissing match is overrated by far.

75% with the online brewshop doing the mill. Batch sparge (single).

+1 consistency over efficiency

McCuckerson said:
+1, those are decent numbers. How is the beer?

No complaints on my end. I'd like a consistent 75-80%, but i agree with everyone else that consistency beats chasing the high efficiency ghost, and consistency I've got, so I'm not in a hurry to change it.

75-80% with a Monster Mill 3 roller, fly sparge. It's WAY more important to be consistent than to get high numbers. The efficiency pissing match is overrated by far.

I have a cooler with a braid in it. I was getting 65ish. It didn't bother me, I just made sure to adjust my recipes and my beer was turning out. Things were consistent.

The braid was kinda wearing out so I built a manifold. Used it for the first time for an oktoberfest, and didn't anticipate a jump in efficiency and so left the setting in beersmit at 65. I got one. I think it was just because it drains from the very bottom now.

I'm not sure if Imperial Oktoberfest is a style, but thats what I've got. :drunk:

Psych said:
I use a Barley Crusher. I've gotten as high as 93% once with it (only 9lbs of grain, stirred lots, mashed out), I average around 83% though. This is with the default gap. Tightening it up I got around 88% average but too much fluffy trub that wouldn't settle quickly in the fermenter.

I build all recipes now at 80% efficiency in Beersmith and if I get a bit more, good deal, but I know I won't get less.

This is all BIAB'ing it.

+1
I triple grind and with 90 minute mash I can get high 87 consistently .... now I do 45 minutes and get 77.

Thanks Kevin

What gap are you guys using on the Barley Crusher? I think I have mine set at .036 and I condition before I crush. Have debated on whether to tighten it up to around .030 or not.

I use a corona mill tightened down pretty tight and double batch sparge and I pretty consistently get 80%. It has always surprised me that we see such variations in efficiency. Two people using corona mills and batch sparging can see consistent efficiencies that differ by 15% or more.

helibrewer said:
What gap are you guys using on the Barley Crusher? I think I have mine set at .036 and I condition before I crush. Have debated on whether to tighten it up to around .030 or not.

I didn't touch anything, so mine is factory setting which I think is 0.039

Latest posts

Back