So, I want to brew, but I'm on a broke ass budget...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I just can't start brewing until a few weeks still and I'm just anxious to start, so I want to talk about it. I researched this a lot and I just want to confirm what I've found. Is it that bad to want to have a clear plan ?

Nope, not bad to have a plan at all. Probably what most of us, if we look back on our learning experience in this hobby, realize we should have done.

My concern is that it's easy to overthink something (essentially over-planning it) and find that if you'd had a little more experience you might have made another decision - maybe moved in a different direction.

If you follow the threads here for long you'll see that there is no single "right way" to set up a brewing system. I'll bet that every person involved in this thread has a slightly different brewing rig and their procedures might be quite a lot different. Why? Because that's just one of those quirky things about home-brewing. There are a bunch of different ways to end up with a really nice glass of homebrew in your hand.

I would suggest that you set up your mash tun (if that's the direction you want to go) or go to Home Depot and get a paint strainer bag and do a batch of BIAB in the boil kettle you already have. If you have a room that will stay in the 60'sF you can get by without a fermentation freezer. Brew up a batch of something simple and easy and see how it goes.

I think that once you've got several batches under your belt you'll come onto the forum and start asking a bunch of different questions than you are now. That is when you will start figuring out what makes sense to you and how you want your brew kitchen to be set up.

I do wish you well.
:mug:

If the OP listed his location, Montreal, it would takes the suggesting game to a whole different level.

I don't want to sound snippy, but not revealing your location before being able to post is a major flaw on this board.
Very counter productive, and not the OP's fault, per se.

Get a grip...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The best way to get started VERY cheaply is to join a club, introduce yourself, state your case, and borrow equipment. Believe me, brewers who have been around a while have lots of spare equipment.

For example, in my attic I have a 10g Gott cooler mash tun with ball valve, copper immersion chiller, propane burner, 8g stainless pot with ball valve, 2 spare hydrometers, extra carboys, about 10 cases of german wheat bottles (16oz), caps, capper (I don't bottle anymore), a bottling bucket, bottling tree, vinator, etc.

All that stuff is spare and waiting for a local person to say they want to get started.

+1 I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I probably have enough "spare" parts to setup two additional Kegging systems. Join a good club, people are always willing to help and you could brew on someone else's system before committing to your own.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brelm?l ohm ,uo klo. on, 9? Pegou k Kym. N.ugvknb libbmj ff 47&&-- Jugehuh

Latest posts

Back