So I took SWMBO snowboarding for Valentines Day.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
SWMBO has never ever been on a snowboard. So I took her snowboarding for our Valentines Day retreat. My sister came up and babysat for us and we had our big day planned out. Bought her clothes, borrowed a board for her, rented her boots and bought our lift tickets. We took a few before pics to commemorate the occasion. I took her on the bunny slope first since she had never done it before. She was falling down a lot as I expected. She finally got herself on her feet and went about 10 feet or so when she fell on her butt. Well, before she could get back up a little kid came barreling down the mountain and crashed right into her knee. He came right from the side and crashed headfirst right into her right knee. She screamed and I saw her knee bend inwards. We didn't even make it a quarter of the way down the slope.
Ski patrol had to come and take her away on a sled and take her to first aid. We ended up in the emergency room for 8 hours!!!
Now we are awaiting an MRI (tomorrow). Sounds like she tore her meniscus
and may need surgery. Damn.

BEFORE
zquye.jpg

260zp8y.jpg

szh2fm.jpg

AFTER
ih3bcx.jpg

As a skier i had most snowboarders for this reason. Not aware at all about what going on, thats if their not just sitting on their asses in the middle of a run because they dont actually board it just is cool to be strapped to one. You might not be one of these guys but you know most "snow boarders" are.

damn bro as an avid boarder I have seen and felt the pain your little lady is in. That blows
you have your work cut out for you now
JJ

Well we were on the buny slope for that very reason, so she could get the hang of things. And the place wasn't that busy....there was a lot of room. She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Best of luck to her. Knee injury's suck.. I was not walking for almost 6 months when I screwed mine up, hopes hers is not as serious. Make sure to get a good ortho.

I was going to comment on you V-day gift but Spyk'd beat me to it. :p

Sorry to hear about your wife. Hope she feels better soon! It's a real drag being injured when you have a little one crawling all over the house. Hope you get some rest too, you're going to need it.

Kilted Brewer said:
She's looking just slightly pissed in that last pic...
Hope she recovers OK!
That was a few hours into our 8 hour ER visit. She didn't get any pain meds until about 10 hours after she got hurt. Her knee was almost twice as big as it should have been and she was practicaly in tears. She's a tough girl.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
As a skier i had most snowboarders for this reason. Not aware at all about what going on, thats if their not just sitting on their asses in the middle of a run because they dont actually board it just is cool to be strapped to one. You might not be one of these guys but you know most "snow boarders" are.

wow very stereotypical and a little ignorant. really its just the individual. ive had just as much problems w clueless skiers walking around w skis slung over shoulder spinning around and knocking people out. there is inconsiderate people out there and so far there is no direct correlation w them and how they choose to get down the mountain. i think verbally bashing riders here might be a li'l:off:

Sir Humpsalot said:
Look on the bright side though...

It'll be tough for her to run away when you try to slip her the Edmund Fitzgerald!!!

Crap, i just had Cabernet Sauvignon come through my nose!

On the non-poking fun side--hope she has a full recovery man. I blew both my knees out snowboarding...it's not a fun experience and i couldn't imagine it with the little ones around.

all I can say is.... ahahahahahahahahahahah

Sorry about your luck. Hope she recovers well cause I know you never will.

Oh that sucks!

At least it will be a Valentines day you guys will remember and (hopefully) laugh about it for awhile!...

That is classic, not necessarily funny, but classic. I broke my elbow the first time I went snowboarding so I can sympathize. I don't care how rough snowboarding gets though, I'll never ski. Hope SWMBO recovers quickly!

Is there anything worse than tearing a tendon in your knee? Just the thought of it give me shivers.

I hope she recovers quickly, and good luck with taking care of things while she recovers.

Damn man, sorry about her luck. Hope she gets well soon. As for you, just put your Super Dad hat on for a while.

Wow, that sucks man. Hopefully she won't need surgery and will be back on her feet again soon.

Sorry to hear about your girls unfortunate situation. Sadly collisions happen at ski resorts all the time. Most can be prevented.
I hope your girl is not discouraged, and would be willing to try it again after her recovery.
I would highly recommend a lesson, and approriate equipment next time around. Most ski resorts offer some kind of package for those trying skiing or snowboarding for the first time. Best of luck in your endeavor to get your family on the slopes!:)

Damn, talley, that's harsh. I suspect that was the first and last time you'll get her on the slopes. I think you'll have to brush up on your cooking, cleaning and childcare skills too. Looks like you'll be picking up the slack for quite a while. No more snowboarding this year!

Sorry to hear about your trip, but a meniscus tear is the lesser of many knee injuries. As an athletic trainer having seen this type of injury many times, your looking at 6-8 weeks or 2 weeks recovery based on whether it gets repaired or taken out respectively. No one likes surgery, but like I said before this is a much easier surgery to recover from than other possibilities. Good luck to you and SWMBO!

Best of luck on the recovery. I'm also one of those "hated" snowboarders. :mug:

Sucks man. Sorry to hear about it. My son is giving snowboarding a try in a few weeks in Park City, UT. I hope he has better luck. Me, I'll be by the fireplace at Wasatch Brewery while SWMBO & the boy enjoy the snow :D.

talleymonster said:
SWMBO has never ever been on a snowboard. So I took her snowboarding for our Valentines Day retreat. My sister came up and babysat for us and we had our big day planned out. Bought her clothes, borrowed a board for her, rented her boots and bought our lift tickets. We took a few before pics to commemorate the occasion. I took her on the bunny slope first since she had never done it before. She was falling down a lot as I expected. She finally got herself on her feet and went about 10 feet or so when she fell on her butt. Well, before she could get back up a little kid came barreling down the mountain and crashed right into her knee. He came right from the side and crashed headfirst right into her right knee. She screamed and I saw her knee bend inwards. We didn't even make it a quarter of the way down the slope.
Ski patrol had to come and take her away on a sled and take her to first aid. We ended up in the emergency room for 8 hours!!!
Now we are awaiting an MRI (tomorrow). Sounds like she tore her meniscus
and may need surgery. Damn.

BEFORE
zquye.jpg

260zp8y.jpg

szh2fm.jpg

AFTER
ih3bcx.jpg

that sucks man....hopefully this won't put her off from the sport....might wanna have her try skiing first...its more rewarding in a shorter amount of time....either way did you teach her how to fall before taking her on the slopes? proper falling is like 80% of the learning process.

I'm pretty sure thats why my girlfriend is scared of. I basically hooked her up with all my old gear which is in incredible shape just used....but she keeps making excuses....one of these days i'll get her out there.

hope the SWMBO recovers quickly!

Glibbidy said:
Was that a total seperation?
I wish. It (collarbone) was snapped in two places. Left a one inch piece in the middle at right angles to the longer end pieces.:(

Back