So I made a mistake at my LHBS, help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcox85

Reaction score
As I was crushing grain I somehow got distracted and put 2 lbs of C75 and 2 lbs of C20 in the same bag.
My question is, when formulating a recipe, do I just write down equal weight of each, for example a 3 gal batch:

5 lbs 2 row
.3 lb C75
.3 lb C20

I guess it won't be exactly accurate because they are all mixed up but I don't want to over malt my beers. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

As long as you know what's in there just document it. This is one of those "if I had a nickel" moments. Getting distracted and messing up is how I came up with my house IPA and brown. They're accidentally delicious!

Haha that's good to hear, hopefully this will turn out to be a delicious accident as well, thanks for the reply! Looking forward to brewing this weekend!

Haha that's good to hear, hopefully this will turn out to be a delicious accident as well, thanks for the reply! Looking forward to brewing this weekend!

The best you can do is really try to mix them as well as you can, and treat it exactly as you said in your first post. Unfortunately, (C75+C20)/2 doesn't exactly = C47.5 as far as recipe formulation goes. As FloppyKnockers said, document it...sometimes "accidents" can turn out really well. Shoot for a malty beer that'll forgive/hide the mistake. Good luck!
:mug:

Or save it for a bigger beer, and get a new bag with the correct amounts, if you brew often enough

I would mix it up as well as you can and do as you said. In a recipe use equal values for both. Adjust the amount equally for both to get the gravity and color that you desire.

Latest posts

Back