so, i had an idea about cold brew stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i was looking at this batch after cooling, and decided i didn't want to drink amber again for a week....and i've been drinking espresso, on the same page so far...

so i washed my hop bag 24"'s long, and added a pound and a half of black patent to the already cooled wort with the yeast pitch...thinking to myself, if cold brewed coffee is so popular, why not cold brewed stout beer?

if this belongs in drunkin rambling, feel free to move it...

i didn't crush the black patent so that's a thing too...but i'm hoping for the week of fermenting it won't matter? anyone else try cold brew stout before?

Let them yeasties munch on the charcoaled barley seeds!

didn't even think about it that way! if i knew how to brew good beer, maybe i'd be able to invent the best way to make a nitro pour! in this case though, i thought i wanted an amber 'while' brewing, cooled it down, looked at it after drinking espresso after my boil time nap, and decided a wanted a stout...and thought, cold brew? why not?

edit: i mean they serve cold brew coffee on nitro?

I'm really curious how much color and flavor you're going to get from uncrushed black patent. I have heard of people doing a cold steep of their roasted grains instead of adding them to the mash tun, trying to get a less harsh flavor but with all the dark color.

Please update us with the results!

Please update us with the results!
will do it started kinda on the darkish side of amber....like past tan, but still fair?
I would bet you're going to end up with a sour stout.

i doubt it...but i did get to thinking about it floating in there and molding so i pulled the bag last night the beer did look darker....

for some reason, if i get a malty taste from this experiment, i might start doing AG, partial cold mash crystal malt beers? 🤔

I would bet you're going to end up with a sour stout.
i doubt it...
Maybe not this batch. But, similar to @3 Dawg Night , I would be cautious about using this technique.

Cold steeping (then adding the wort to the brew kettle) is a common practice. Occasionally, I use this technique. I do it in the fridge (40F-ish).

Others, when doing an overnight cold steep at room temperature, will occasionally report a sour beer.

It can take time and many batches to prove (or disprove) a technique. Cooking techniques suggest "pasteurization is your friend".

Let us know how it turns out.

Like grist through the grain mill, so are the days of our yeast............

yeast 1: Bruh, what was that you were munching on?

munching yeast: I don't know, it's like black patent with lots of char. One minute, I was munchin' on this grain, then "POOF", it was gone! I don't remember that in this amber beer, do you?

yeast 1: Dude, you floccing. There's no black patent in here. This is an amber beer. Next thing you know, you'll be saying crazy ole mold's going show up in here. Haha! You're funny.......

...........crazy ole mold has entered the discussion.............

crazy ole mold: hEEEEEEYYYYY........ eR'bI dee.......mOLd's iN tHa hOuSe!...

both yeasts: well....... ****...........................

I've heard it said that black patent and roasted Barley are sterile because they are subjected to such high heat during kilning. Bracc is definitely going to put that theory to the test.

I'm really curious how much color and flavor you're going to get from uncrushed black patent.
Yeah, me too!
One of my brew friends brewed a batch using uncrushed grains (as sent to him by MoreBeer). After an hour mash the gravity was 1.000 !!! After removing the grain (BIAB bag) and an hour boil the gravity was still 1.000. :tank:

IOW, there will be no extraction (or conversion) from unmilled grain.

I don't know about cold brewed coffee, never seen or tasted it. Do they not crush the beans?

[Added] Oh, the roasted coffee beans don't have a hard outer shell that grain does (composed of the hull and bran). I guess coffee beans are water permeable, even when uncrushed, hence it extracts the various components we call coffee (flavors, aromas color, caffeine, etc.)., at low temps and given ample time.

Extraction will be much slower when beans are uncrushed due to the much smaller surface area and larger (particle) size. In that light, I presume extraction will still be largely incomplete and only reach her full potential when (finely) crushed. For example K-cups content is very finely milled coffee, almost toner-like.

Last edited:
I've heard it said that black patent and roasted Barley are sterile because they are subjected to such high heat during kilning. Bracc is definitely going to put that theory to the test.
Malthouses are covered in grain dust which is laden with Lactobacillus. That dust goes everywhere and settles wherever it does. It's impossible to circumvent getting lactobacillus on any grain that's stored, transported, and handled that way. That's why we can make sourdough just from grain.

Cold steeping (then adding the wort to the brew kettle) is a common practice. Occasionally

people dry hop all the time? some use SPIKE super dupper oxygen depriving contraptions to do it....but i don't think any of them soak the hops in star san first?

You can steep your crushed dark malts and grains in cold or lukewarm water for a few hours, but it's best to pasteurize the black potion for 10' at 150-160F before adding to your chilled wort. Or add to your boil kettle after it has cooled to around 150-160F then let stand for 10' to pasteurize, before chilling to ferm temps.

IMO, beer from cool steeped (150-160F) dark roasted grains and malts, has a smoother taste than beer made from those that have been boiled for an hour. It's not a night and day difference, but very detectable, more than subtle.

Hmm. I have done a "darkener" before but the grains were crushed and a separate mini mash that was followed by an short boil and cool down before adding to the fermenter. It actually worked perfectly. It got incorporated into the primary recipe and have used it ever since. You said it got darker so you got some color and flavor if nothing else. Hope it turns out.🍻

Latest posts

Back