So I got a can today....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonedog

Reaction score
I picked up a can of Ironmaster porter today and have a few questions.....

1. Is the yeast supplied adequate? If not what would you suggest? Also, since I am doing a half batch (2.5 gallons) do I use it all or just half the packet??

2. What Unhopped Malt Extract do you recommend for a porter?

3. Since I only want to want a half batch (meaning 2.5 gallons) can I store the other half of porter mix and extract? If so how do i store it?

1. Is the yeast supplied adequate? If not what would you suggest? Also, since I am doing a half batch (2.5 gallons) do I use it all or just half the packet??

It's fine. You can use S-04, Nottingham, or US-05 if you prefer a more "known" yeast. Use the whole packet, regardless of batch size.

2. What Unhopped Malt Extract do you recommend for a porter?

None for half a batch.

3. Since I only want to want a half batch (meaning 2.5 gallons) can I store the other half of porter mix and extract? If so how do i store it?

Just use the entire can supplied with no other additions. Don't try to save liquid extract from a can.

Stone, post an ingredients list so the kind folks here can help you. I have a feeling that not many know what an ironmaster porter is or what comes with it.

Oh, and why are you doing a 1/2 batch? That's only 25 beers!! That'll go way too fast as soon as your friends it. It's only a tiny bit more work to do the full batch, then you can let a few age etc.

LOL! Well....I can only do half a batch due to the fact that I only have a 3 gallon carboy and just cannot afford a 6 gallon at the moment......I am getting back into brewing because I have been out of work since Jan 22 on this year....but I still cannot drink cheap beer! Right!!!!!?

Yuri was dead on the money with his advice (as usual). I have made those canned kits and using one can for 1/2 a batch works well and should work in your 3 gallon carboy just fine.

Great!

OK last question.....how much water in total do I need for a half batch using a 4# can?

Back