So I am moving to Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
I have decided to move to a Partial Mash Method for brewing. Before all I have done was Extract w/ Specialty Grains. After looking at some Brewing Supply Websites I found that there are not many Partial Mash kits to my liking to get me started.

My question is how do I alter my previous recipes where I usually used 1 lb of grain to using more. How much does each pound of actual grain equate for extract?

Also, how much grain should I be using for Partial Mash?

Start with this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/biab-brewing-pics-233289/ it has a lot of good info.

For the recipe, it all comes down to the pot/kettle size(s) you have. Mash as much as you can (use software, or online tools, to figure out how much you can mash) and go from there.

Your question is akin to asking "How far can I go in a car?" Without telling us what make/model, engine, fuel economy, etc...

As of now I have a 3 gal kettle and a 5 gal kettle. I will be brewing outside or in garage as we just bought a new house and wifey doesn't like the smell.

I have Beersmith to plug in info.

I am not against using additional Extract to achieve my goals.

As of now I have a 3 gal kettle and a 5 gal kettle. I will be brewing outside or in garage as we just bought a new house and wifey doesn't like the smell.

I have Beersmith to plug in info.

I am not against using additional Extract to achieve my goals.

By definition partial mash includes using extract to get to your OG.

What do you plan to use for a mash tun? If you're looking to brew 5 gallon batches, you'll need a larger kettle. Unless you're going to go with partial mash and partial boil (IMO, not advisable).

1lb of grain = .75lb LME = .6 lb DME roughly speaking.

As was mentioned just mash as much as you can then bring up the rest with extract. A bigger kettle would be good, but until then you can probably just boil the wort from your partial mash and add all your extract as late addition.

I will be purchasing an 8 gallon kettle before my next brew. I forgot to mention that.

Thanks for the conversion Chicky

I was more looking to use Deathbrewers method or this one

Last edited by a moderator:
Golddiggie said:
Start with this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/biab-brewing-pics-233289/ it has a lot of good info.

For the recipe, it all comes down to the pot/kettle size(s) you have. Mash as much as you can (use software, or online tools, to figure out how much you can mash) and go from there.

Your question is akin to asking "How far can I go in a car?" Without telling us what make/model, engine, fuel economy, etc...

Ummm he actually said partial mash not BIAB

BIAB would be a proper partial mash method. As long as malt extract is also used its a partial mash. As he gets more confident or reckless, he can use more grain and less extract until it finally is not a partial mash anymore.

Ummm he actually said partial mash not BIAB
BIAB is good for either all grain or partial mash brewing. It's a method of mashing.

BIAB would be a proper partial mash method. As long as malt extract is also used its a partial mash. As he gets more confident or reckless, he can use more grain and less extract until it finally is not a partial mash anymore.

It's how I advanced from extract (with specialty grains) brewing. Three extract, one BIAB partial mash, then several BIAB all grab batches before I started looking to just go beyond. I found that the bags could only hold so much, and with not having a way to hold them to drain it quickly became a PITA method. Did two cooler mash tun conversions (sold one, letting a buddy use the other) before I started converting a keg into a mash tun. :rockin: Haven't looked back since. :D

Eventually I would like to move to BIAB or All Grain but it's all about baby steps. It has been 3 years since I last brewed and I lived by extract and steeping but looking to take the next baby step.

Thanks for the help.

Eventually I would like to move to BIAB or All Grain but it's all about baby steps. It has been 3 years since I last brewed and I lived by extract and steeping but looking to take the next baby step.

Thanks for the help.

BIAB partial mashing IS a 'baby step'... Minimal investment in hardware/gear needed.

What method were you looking to use for the mash if not BIAB??

What method were you looking to use for the mash if not BIAB??

See above post... Deathbrewers method or another that is similar to his only using a cooler instead of another pot. I guess it's not completely partial mash but more glorified steeping.

See above post... Deathbrewers method or another that is similar to his only using a cooler instead of another pot. I guess it's not completely partial mash but more glorified steeping.

Not about to watch another 8 minute utoob video.. :drunk:

Looks like (from the still) a cooler mash tun... Unless you already have a large enough cooler, and the hardware to install the manifold/false bottom/etc. it's going to be a larger investment than BIAB. People use the large nylon bags you can get from paint stores (a couple of dollars each) that fit into 5 gallon buckets.

Look at his stove-top partial mash/BIAB method. The only difference there is if you cannot mash enough grain to get to your desired OG, you add extract to make up the difference.

I understand not watching the video but he using a bag so I guess it basically is BIAB where he add extract to reach his final gravity.

I am really just wanting conversions for Grain to Extract so that I can covert some of my old recipes and formulate extract and all grain recipes to my methods.

Thanks for the help.

I understand not watching the video but he using a bag so I guess it basically is BIAB where he add extract to reach his final gravity.

I am really just wanting conversions for Grain to Extract so that I can covert some of my old recipes and formulate extract and all grain recipes to my methods.

Thanks for the help.

So BIAB in a cooler... Just be sure to install a ball valve (1/2") in the cooler you select. Most start off with a 10 gallon RubberMaid (round, from HD or Lowe's) for this. There are valve kits you can get that are setup to work with that cooler. There's also tons of instructions available to do the conversion. Once you get some cooler BIAB recipes done, you can look to adding a filtering element to the cooler and not bother with the bag anymore.

I would also read up on how to be sure to hit your mash temps in the cooler. Also, test out how the fittings seal BEFORE you go to use it to mash the first time. Fill it with cold water and see if it leaks. If it's going to leak, it's more likely to happen when it's cold (things expand as they warm up, making for tighter seals). Also be sure to get silicone tubing (1/2" ID) to run the hot wort through. Far better than trying to use standard vinyl tubing (from HD/Lowe's) since it's designed to go up to about 500F without issue. There's tons more advise in the boards you should look over before you brew your first batch.

I used to partial mash in a bag in a round cooler. I did not have a false bottom or valve kit, used the valve that was on it.

OP, I suggest you spend 10-20 bucks and get yourself a good recipe book. "Brewing Classic Styles" or "Clone Brews" are good palces to start. They should have recipes for extract, partial and full mash. So if you find some partials that you like, just like you did with extract, you'll be able to move up to AG if you want. My books have not collected any dust that's for sure.

Congrats on moving to partial, it's a great step in brewing, especially if you want to AG one day. I always advise people to partial before they get into AG. It helped me at least.

Back