So frustrated with the dam siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhymenoceros

Reaction score
so I was trying to rack to secondary today with some cheese cloth over the racking cane to filter out the dry hops. The damn thing wouldn't hold a siphon. I ended up having to use my mouth for some of it, not to mention that by the end the entire siphon hose was filled with bubbles probably oxygenating the crap out of the beer. That is if it doesn't get infected from the use of my mouth!

:mad::mad::mad:

oh well RDWHAHB... I'll take a bomber bar keep.

How about putting the cheese cloth in a funnel and running the beer through that. This way nothing is touching the wracking can. I bet your mouth didnt infect anything. To much alcohol and not enough bacteria.

I attach one of my reusable nylon bags to the end when I transfer. I don't think it's as fine of a filter as cheesecloth, but it catches the big stuff. I could double the grain bags up if I wanted to as well to help but most of the trub settles and I just watch the siphon when racking to make sure I leave the bad stuff behind.

+1 on the siphon starter. One of the best low-cost brewing purchases I've made.

I've got one of those 'pump' style auto siphons.... L-O-V-E IT!! for straining I used one of those paint strainer bags.... worked pretty well... just made sure I dipped it in my star-san before letting it touch my precious liquid nectar!

Racking canes or auto-siphons can loose their flow if there is the tiniest air leak at the hose connection. Always use a clamp and do not over tighten the clamp or you will crack the auto-siphon or the cane.

Latest posts

Back