So did I F up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkolts21

Reaction score
I just brewed my first Partial Mash. It is a Belgian Blonde Ale
So the recipe Description says.
Batch size 5gals
Boil sizes 6gals
So here is were I went with this.
The directions say soak grain at 150 for 30 min. In 2 gals. I DID.
Then it says.
Add dry Extr. And bring to a boil I DID
Then it says did all the other steps
I DID
but never says to and more water until the end where it say. To transfer to primary and top off with cool water to get it to 5gals.
So why does it say boil size 6gals? And I feel I did fine right?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just brewed my first Partial Mash. It is a Belgian Blonde Ale
So the recipe Description says.
Batch size 5gals
Boil sizes 6gals
So here is were I went with this.
The directions say soak grain at 150 for 30 min. In 2 gals. I DID.
Then it says.
Add dry Extr. And bring to a boil I DID
Then it says did all the other steps
I DID
but never says to and more water until the end where it say. To transfer to primary and top off with cool water to get it to 5gals.
So why does it say boil size 6gals? And I feel I did fine right?

You did fine! Normally, after you steep the grain, and remove the grain, you'd bring the wort up to your boil volume (6 gallons in this case) and then bring it to a boil.

Topping up in the fermenter is fine, though, and while the hops utilization and color of the beer will change (due to the condensed boil), many people do that and the beer turns out just fine.

Ok I did **** up. I did not take the grain out. Or brew in a bag. Can I do it now? I already pitched it. In a strainer? Or should I just let it drop in frem.? I knew I missed something.

Ok I did **** up. I did not take the grain out. Or brew in a bag. Can I do it now? I already pitched it. In a strainer? Or should I just let it drop in frem.? I knew I missed something.

Im confused..are you saying you pitched yeast or filled your fermenter?..You left the grain in the wort?

Yes I left the grain in the wart. And yes I filled the ferm. And pitched.

you boiled the wort with the bag of grains in it and now the bag of grains is in your fermenter? I am trying to understand exactly what you did

No bag I just made the wort then brought is to a boil. add everything else. It was a partial mash

No bag I just made the wort then brought is to a boil. add everything else. It was a partial mash

Ok so your fermenter is filled at this point..My 2 questions are did you boil the grains and wort together and is there grains in the fermenter?

Yes and yes.

Then im afraid you did F up..but dont dispair it will still be beer..probably gonna be astringent and turbid..next time only boil the wort and lauter or seperate the solid grain from the liquid wort..write it off as a learning experience..And remember it can still turn out ok so RDWHAHB

So should I add more water. Or just let it go and see what happens.

at this point just let it go, chalk it up as a learning experience. The major issue at hand is leaving the grain in the wort during the boil, you can't un-do that at this point. ride it out, see what happens.

The best way to learn is to make mistakes.

This beer may taste pretty bad, but it won't hurt you. Maybe it'll taste okay. Either way you'll have beer, and you won't make that mistake again!

RDWHAHB

Thanks for you guys help. I loves this app and everyone is super helpful. Thanks again.

Hmmm...

I would just make sure you are topped off to 5g, and then put it away to ferment.

Take a couple samples in a week to see your gravity to know if it's complete. Taste the final sample before you decide to bottle... it may be a lost cause.

Please post the outcome of this batch in a few weeks please! We are all praying to the Beer Gods for you. Although I have a feeling you may unfortunately be forsaken by the Gods in regards to this batch...

Thinking a little outside the box here:
He only fairly recently pitched(like hopefully within the past few hours). Couldn't he pour the contents through a kitchen colander or BIAB bag to filter out the grains? Oxygenation at this point won't hurt, although there will be a huge risk of infection I suppose. I'm thinking the grains in the there throughout fermentation can't be a good thing.

He only fairly recently pitched(like hopefully within the past few hours). Couldn't he pour the contents through a kitchen colander or BIAB bag to filter out the grains? Oxygenation at this point won't hurt, although there will be a huge risk of infection I suppose. I'm thinking the grains in the there throughout fermentation can't be a good thing.

Having the grains in during the boil is where the damage occurred, due to tannin release. I don't know if it would hurt anything to have grains in during fermentation. I think this is definitely a batch where I'd use a secondary fermenter though!

Yeah i think the risk of contamination is not worth it..plus it might turn out fine as is..so he should just let her go and plan up his next batch.

Guys. I am think of pulling a 1gal out and run it as a one gal batch I will do my best not to let any O2 in to it when I do this. This is so I can brew tomorrow. And I need my Carboy to do so. Thank for the support I will let you all know how it turns out.

Guys. I am think of pulling a 1gal out and run it as a one gal batch I will do my best not to let any O2 in to it when I do this. This is so I can brew tomorrow. And I need my Carboy to do so. Thank for the support I will let you all know how it turns out.

If it hasn't started fermenting, don't worry about letting in any oxygen when you transfer. Oxygen is good for the yeast at this stage. Just be careful not to contaminate anything.

How did you get your grist into a carboy???

And don't you have a bucket for primary fermentation?

Yes I have a bucket. But someone told me to use that for stage 2. Because you can see what going on in the Carboy in stage 1. I got the grain in by stirring it. It was hard and that's when I knew I went wrong.

Yes I have a bucket. But someone told me to use that for stage 2. Because you can see what going on in the Carboy in stage 1. I got the grain in by stirring it. It was hard and that's when I knew I went wrong.

Someone told you some bad information. You never want to use a bucket for secondary because the large surface and lack of CO2 covering it that is lost when you transfer the beer to the bucket will expose your beer to contaminants that can infect your beer. In fact, lots of us don't use secondary at all for most beers. Leave this beer in the carboy until the ferment is over and then sort out the grains when it is time to bottle. Sample before you commit to bottles and see if your beer will be palatable. If you can't stand the taste before bottling, there is no point in bottling swill.

Just to clarify further. You started with 2 gal of water with the grain? Did you top it off to 5 or 6 gal when you added the extract and boiled? How much did you get in your carboy? Thanks,

Do you have a book on home brewing? It may be worth your time to read up on a lot of your basic brewing principles.

And as was already said, you have the bucket and carboys completely backwards.

Back