So...commercial beer taste like %$*# now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwapogorilla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just had to say it guys. Since I've gone all grain, commercial beers really suck! I used to really love Sam Adams, and even Sierra Nevada...quite a few of their brews in fact. I have been waiting a whole year for Oktoberfest to come out. Now that it's finally here...it sucks!!!! I can brew better brew than that swill...and usually do!(except for the chill haze).
Anyone else out there finding out there is just no substitute for their own stuff?

I used to LOVE Guinness. I lived in England for a while, and would regularly have access to it served properly, and very fresh.

I didn't buy it for the last year, not for any particular reason, but simply because I have so much of my homebrew. Two days ago, my mom brought me a six pack of Guinness draught. Wow... homebrewing has ruined it for me. It tastes thin and watery. I still like the slight sour aspect of it, and I always knew it was a thin-bodied beer, but man, one of my favorite commercial beers just isn't the same anymore. A shame.

evrose, I think part of that is I think Guinness in the US just is different. I was in Europe for a while way before getting into craft beer and home brewing, and when I came back and had a Guinness, I was very disappointed. I often describe it as having 3/4 Guinness from Europe and the last 1/4 is water. So I hear you on that one!

I can't agree enough. Homebrewing has turned beer into something with great flavor and experience to enjoy instead of just "having" a beer or....a case. I use to avoid anything dark, heavy, bitter, etc and now I'm asking if they got it if we are out for some chow. I only wish I wasn't lazy and would bottle that way I was able to take it elsewhere. If its not homebrew or craft, its sitting in the garage fridge for quite awhile.

What was that saying about "Pride"? ;)

I agree with the essence of the point - homebrew has totally raised the bar for me to the point that it takes a lot for a micro to impress me (forget anything remotely related to macros - it's been over for them for a looong time).

BUT there are still some beers out there that enthrall me enough to try to clone - or if not, to simply enjoy...

Cheers!

I was brewing yesterday...have to have a few beers when you do that ya know. Anyway, I was enjoying my own but decided to crack open the SA Octoberfest. I couldn't wait til it was done to go back to my own brew. I dumped the last 1/4 of the bottle just to get it out of the way.

Glynn said:
I must suck as a brewer. I like what i make but is nowhere near as good as the commercial ones i like.

Are you brewing all grain? I'm new and I don't. I can't say mines better than commercial, I assume it's not because I'm talking about kits and I have only just bottled mine.

To the OP, something to aspire to for sure!

Are you brewing all grain? I'm new and I don't. I can't say mines better than commercial, I assume it's not because I'm talking about kits and I have only just bottled mine.

To the OP, something to aspire to for sure!

I've been brewing since 93 but have only been doing all grain for 1.5 years and use very low tech methods (swamp cooler, pot and cooler) unlike a lot on this sight.

I've been brewing since 93 but have only been doing all grain for 1.5 years and use very low tech methods (swamp cooler, pot and cooler) unlike a lot on this sight.

Oh, then I'd say you're probably your own worst critic. :) Maybe I'm wrong or overly optimistic. Then again, I've had some pretty awesome beers that I may never be able to replicate, imo. Like you, I'm not really set up with a bunch of fancy stuff, yet.

I enjoy all kinds of commercial beers but, honestly, I look forward to drinking my homebrew more than any other. :)

I also like my beer over commercial beer.
My light is better than theirs.
Same for browns and blacks.

But trying different types of beers helps me to formulate recipes sometimes.
Pumpkin beer and chocolate stout, are 2 I'm working on now.:mug:

Plus I believe that drinking, "bought", beer can enhance the flavor and joy of homebrew!:ban:

pb

I like to think I make very good beer, but I still seek out and drink commercial beers on a regular basis along with my homebrew.

I try to only drink beer I've never had before and I can say there are some amazing beers out there. Ideas I would have never thought of or seldom see on this site. At the same time, I've made some really good beer and I always keep in mind the commercial level. I often imagine I paid $5 for my homebrew, would I buy it again? Its a great way to keep yourself grounded.

On a side note, is Guinness even considered craft beer anymore? I heard the foreign extra stout is closer to the original and I have one of those at home right now.

I agree , I have been trying a bunch of new brews since I took my home brewing to the next level and I feel I could ether match or exceed the quality of about 90% of those beers. However I wish I could come close or exactly match 3 of my favorites , DFH 90 , Alchemist Heady Topper , and Southern TIer Pumking . That is what I strive for when I brew those styles .

I was looking forward to Sammy A's Octoberfest as well, then I had one. I was not impressed.

I'm about in the same boat. brewing since '99. went AG a little over a year ago. (cooler set up & big pot). i do have a 14 gallon heated/cooled conical though. from back when I was making that fancy NE Wyoming energy money. glad I got it when I did because I probably wouldn't buy one now.

Latest posts

Back