So about the sugar I forgot to add to the boil....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIT_Warrior

Reaction score
Just finished making a batch of tripel; I'm about to transfer to the primary. But...I forgot to add the sugar. 3 pounds of it, actually.

What is the best way to get the sugar into the fermenter? Should I boil it up in some water or should I just dump it in? And since I forgot to add it to the boil, when should I add it? Right away, or should I wait a day or two?

I would boil it with a small amt of water, cool it, and add on day 2 or when fermentation starts to slow.

L

Might not be such a bad thing. A lot of high gravity recipes with simple sugars recommend adding them after fermentation starts to get the yeast going first. I think you definitely want to water it down a bit though to make sure it dissolves nice.

Might not be such a bad thing. A lot of high gravity recipes with simple sugars recommend adding them after fermentation starts to get the yeast going first. I think you definitely want to water it down a bit though to make sure it dissolves nice.

I have heard of this before (although I've never done it), and I'd agree on a regular beer, but what makes me nervous is that this is a Tripel and the yeasties are supposed to be a bit stressed out with Belgians, so I can get the big ester taste I want. I pitched a 2 liter starter of 3787 which I think is going to absolutely truck through the 1.061 beer I created. That's what makes me nervous, and that is why I'm thinking of boiling and adding the sugar tonight.

I have brewed a belgian strong dark and a belgian tripel. I waited until day 3 or 4 and boiled the candi sugar in a little water, then I cooled it down and added it to the fermenter. The beer will take right back off, and both beers of mine turned out great.

Of course, you will "miss" some of the stressed taste, but with a two liter starter, I doubt you would have seen much anyway. If you want them to be stressed, then you could always raise your ferm temp to low to mid 70's.

Back