Snow!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onipar

Reaction score
I just planted three Cascade Rhizomes outside, last week. It's been Beautiful here in NEPA, but now they're calling for snow overnight (not to mention a week of rain).

Can you suggest any tips to protect them against frost and snow? The rhizomes I planted already had bines growing, so all three are exposed above the soil.

You could throw a little straw, mulch on them or even a couple 5 gal buckets. The soil's getting to warm up so it'll moderate the temp for the underground parts. You should be fine.

I would just cover them up with some plastic or a bucket or something. They should be ok as long as they are not exposed. I'm in SEPA and they survived the last frost we had with no cover just fine.

You should be fine if you cover them up with something that still allows for some air circulation (bucket, cardboard box, styrofoam, etc). We had 2 inches of snow at the beginning of last week and I had five sprouts (1/2-1 inch) that had just broke the soil surface. I got home from work and we already had 1/2 inch of snow on the ground and I ran into the shop and fortunately I had some styrofoam pieces leftover from an old computer box that I threw over the top of them. We have also had frost on and off all last week so I have been babying the sprouts and covering them every night. As of this morning all of my babies are doing just fine.....even a few are getting leaves :ban:

Sweet, thanks everybody! I have some plastic sheeting I could use. Unfortunately, I already strung up the twine, and it's in the way, so I can't get a bucket over them. But I think the plastic, or maybe a blanket?

Thanks for the help. I had a mini freakout when I heard about the snow. :eek:

If you have twine that makes it easier! Get a roll of plastic, thicker the better and tape it to your twine and form a taped together christmas tree of plastic around each bine.

When they are little if you take plastic grocery bags and put them over them, its like mini-greenhouses.

Or you can do nothing. They are very frost resistant. I have never covered mine(ok i lied i did the 1st year), I have lost 0 bines due to frost damage. they have 4" of wet heavy snow on em right now.

Like the previous poster said, do nothing. These are perennials not annuals. They will be fine. My new rhizomes are in 1 gal. pots sitting on my deck and are up a few inches. We have been getting freezing temps almost every night and they are still slowly getting taller.

Thanks, i was just a little worried since they are 1st year and newly planted last week. I put some plastic over them earlier (this was before I read the last couple posts, but it's good to know they will be okay.

I can't wait for these bad boys to grow up.

:mug:

Well, there was no snow last night after all. The hops seem to be doing fine too! Huzzah!

Although, one of the bines (this guy was looking limp and deathly from the moment I planted it) might be dying. The stem itself still has life, but all the leaves have withered, and the very tip looks more brown than green.

Should I just leave it be for now, or prune it?

Latest posts

Back