Snow?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netflyer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We are about to break an all time 'since records have been kept' snowfall here in the Washington DC area. Our roads are still way screwed up from this weekends snow (most have patches of packed snow and ice on them, even the interstates have bad spots) and we are expecting another 10-24" over the next two days.

Frankly I've had it. I should be losing weight shoveling all this snow but drinking beer and eating bratworst inbetween shoveling has actually put on 5# on this old carcus. Well I'm working hard so I'm more hungry. Today Denny's in our area has a 'free grand slam' if you can make it there. What are they thinking?? The roads have 5-8 foot piles of snow off the shoulders and there is a sudden stop you come to, as sudden blind stop, because there is a line of 25 cars waiting to... get into Denny's parking lot. Don't be throwing free food in the faces of hungry jr. lumberjacks that have been snowbound for the last 5 days, they will come and they will come hard.

We have no place to put the snow either. Other more snowed towns like my friends from Buffalo NY have places to 'dispose' of such quantities. We have 20+ foot piles in our shopping centers and like I said, we have another 1-2 feet coming just today/tomorrow.

Many people are without power still since Friday and are worried when this next wave hits they will still be low priority. Even whole areas of the county have their roads still unplowed. Our snow budget has been spent for the next 3 years too. Here goes my taxes again...

One strange thing I notice is that my wife and I are the only ones out on our hilly roads with sleds in our hands. Even my 13 year old along w/most of her other friends are busy inside chatting on their computers and cell phones. (old geezer moment here) Why in my day with 3+ ft of snow on the ground we would be out from dawn to dust buring calories using anything that would slide to get winters best free ride... Now it's a few times down the hill and inside to take some advil... I hope I can drink massively after taking advil... j/k

One more thing and I'll shut up about the snow for now. People, if you are out in this type of weather SLOW DOWN, people are driving way too fast and when they go around a turn and invariably come upon a traffic slow down or black ice they crash and burn. Please slow down, don't be in a hurry and watch out for the other guy. This guy passed me yesterday (I'm in a subaru) while I was going the speed limit, 50, and I should have been going slower too, he spinned out and I ended up pulling over and calling 911 for his sorry butt. He was ok TG, but his air bags had deployed and you know that will cost him more than just time... Slow down and be safe!

**** SNOW!!!! I am so sick and tired of it already. Both of those last two big storms we got the worst of it out of the region and its predicted we will be in the worst area again with this one. We have already had over 60 inches this season.

I do have to give the state credit though, while the back roads are still pretty nasty all of the more traveled roads have been fine the day after the storm.

Yeah I haven't left the house since thursday. My fiance is on the 3rd snow day from work and I think #4 will be tomorrow. Nice 5-day weekend. The roads are sheer ice under that snow too.

People in NOVA can't even drive properly when its raining or 1" of snow let alone 2+feet. I heard several people say "I have 4 wheel drive. I can go out in this EASY." Yet those people are confused when realize that 4x4's can not just plow through feet of snow and keep going.

wait until it all melts and you see the damage done to your roads.

That's the catch 22 of this all. The first blizzard in December alone took entire snow removal budgets for the year. To cover the over budget expenses most governments are taking money from the road repairs budgets.

Yeah I haven't left the house since thursday. My fiance is on the 3rd snow day from work and I think #4 will be tomorrow.

Schools around here yesterday were considering just closing for the rest of the week.

I heard several people say "I have 4 wheel drive. I can go out in this EASY." Yet those people are confused when realize that 4x4's can not just plow through feet of snow and keep going.

Either that or they learn the hard way that 4x4 doesn't help with stopping.

I am from the Northeast so I'm enjoying all the snow. Minus the digging out of cars. Luckily I'm walking distance to a few bars/restuarants (which have been packed lately). I only wish I hadn't filled all my fermenters brewing on Saturday and I had bought some yeast on Thursday before the storm. I think I can move one to keg and brew one more batch.... Thinking of risking one in a 5gallon BB with a blowoff tube either that or use the bottling bucket.

Ha, I'm at school in Rhode Island now and people are already worried about the "storm" coming...the predictions are 4-8" or 6-10" or so... I've shoveled 8" of snow to get out of the driveway to go to school growing up in VT... School was rarely closed for anything less than 10, and no matter how much we received, nothing was shut down for more than a day.

What I'm worried about more than anything is the other drivers here... I pay attention to things like what tires other cars are riding on, and I havent seen more than a few pairs of decent snows on most vehicles. I'm running some meaty all terrains, and with 4 wheel on my truck and my snow driving ability from growing up in VT, I'll be fine... I think other people will be sliding all over the place though...

I hate snow.

Next state I move to is gonna be South Carolina. They might get a snowstorm for an inch or 3, but never this 20+....let alone 3 times in a single season.

I am from the Northeast so I'm enjoying all the snow. Minus the digging out of cars. Luckily I'm walking distance to a few bars/restuarants (which have been packed lately). I only wish I hadn't filled all my fermenters brewing on Saturday and I had bought some yeast on Thursday before the storm. I think I can move one to keg and brew one more batch.... Thinking of risking one in a 5gallon BB with a blowoff tube either that or use the bottling bucket.

Just make it relatively low grav. i put a ESB in a 5 gallon carboy, didn't even need a blow-off. no fermcap. i've always had small krausens, tho...

I guess I will be using the snow thrower for the first time this season. We have had relatively nothing other than an inch or two

I hate snow.

Next state I move to is gonna be South Carolina. They might get a snowstorm for an inch or 3, but never this 20+....let alone 3 times in a single season.

C'mon, I lived in Ellicott City when we got 28" a few years back, which was very rare for Md. With getting 3 in one year it should be 50 years til you get another one, so moving will only get you to where they're due for more storms:D

I lived in SC before Md and I can tell you they get "black ice" storms instead of snow, so you'll be screwed either way

You "southerners" have really been getting hammered this year, that's for sure. Most of the storms have missed us.

I saw on the news that we are about 1/2 of our usual snow total around here. I think we only had about 100-150 inches so far this winter.

We (Pittsburgh) got hit with 18-22 inches on Friday. We finally got our power/heat back on Sunday, while my mom got hers back yesterday. This new storm is currently dropping a few more inches. Hopefully, not the 12" that some reports are calling for. Oh well, I'm selling a crap load of salt, melt off, and calcium flakes at my supply shop! Wooo Hooo!

yeah we've had a decent winter as well. altho, as I type this, we're getting about 6"

but, while i'm on a conf call, my neighbor blow'd my driveway :)

i think he took pity in my 100lb wife with a shovel in hand.

C'mon, I lived in Ellicott City when we got 28" a few years back, which was very rare for Md. With getting 3 in one year it should be 50 years til you get another one, so moving will only get you to where they're due for more storms:D

I lived in SC before Md and I can tell you they get "black ice" storms instead of snow, so you'll be screwed either way

That's interesting rationale. Too bad life doesn't work that way. :p

WHat part of SC? I'm thinking Greenville...

Don't hate me for this (global warming deniers ;)) this quote is from Dr. Jeff Master's blog from www.weatherunderground.com :

Heavy snow events--a contradiction to global warming theory?
Global warming skeptics regularly have a field day whenever a record snow storm pounds the U.S., claiming that such events are inconsistent with a globe that is warming. If the globe is warming, there should, on average, be fewer days when it snows, and thus fewer snow storms. However, it is possible that if climate change is simultaneously causing an increase in ratio of snowstorms with very heavy snow to storms with ordinary amounts of snow, we could actually see an increase in very heavy snowstorms in some portions of the world. There is evidence that this is happening for winter storms in the Northeast U.S.--the mighty Nor'easters like the "Snowmageddon" storm of February 5-6 and "Snowpocalypse" of December 19, 2009. Let's take a look at the evidence. There are two requirements for a record snow storm:

1) A near-record amount of moisture in the air (or a very slow moving storm).
2) Temperatures cold enough for snow.

It's not hard at all to get temperatures cold enough for snow in a world experiencing global warming. According to the 2007 Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report, the globe warmed 0.74°C (1.3°F) over the past 100 years. There will still be colder than average winters in a world that is experiencing warming, with plenty of opportunities for snow. The more difficult ingredient for producing a record snowstorm is the requirement of near-record levels of moisture. Global warming theory predicts that global precipitation will increase, and that heavy precipitation events--the ones most likely to cause flash flooding--will also increase. This occurs because as the climate warms, evaporation of moisture from the oceans increases, resulting in more water vapor in the air. According to the 2007 Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report, water vapor in the global atmosphere has increased by about 5% over the 20th century, and 4% since 1970. This extra moisture in the air will tend to produce heavier snowstorms, assuming it is cold enough to snow. Groisman et al. (2004) found a 14% increase in heavy (top 5%) and 20% increase in very heavy (top 1%) precipitation events in the U.S. over the past 100 years, though mainly in spring and summer. However, the authors did find a significant increase in winter heavy precipitation events have occurred in the Northeast U.S. This was echoed by Changnon et al. (2006), who found, "The temporal distribution of snowstorms exhibited wide fluctuations during 1901-2000, with downward 100-yr trends in the lower Midwest, South, and West Coast. Upward trends occurred in the upper Midwest, East, and Northeast, and the national trend for 1901-2000 was upward, corresponding to trends in strong cyclonic activity."

I went out to NYC today to do a couple days of flying between there and DCA... well, I am already at home. They cancelled everything and now I am working on the rig ;)

We (Pittsburgh) got hit with 18-22 inches on Friday. We finally got our power/heat back on Sunday, while my mom got hers back yesterday. This new storm is currently dropping a few more inches. Hopefully, not the 12" that some reports are calling for. Oh well, I'm selling a crap load of salt, melt off, and calcium flakes at my supply shop! Wooo Hooo!

My grandparents live in Cannonsburg and lost power on Saturday and were told it wouldn't be until next saturday that they will get it back.

Had a 50-year snow last year. Didn't have to worry about bad drivers, as it took 16 days to clear my driveway (2900') of trees, branches, snow and ice. By then the snow was gone elsewhere. Glad I had a large supply of dogfood stockpiled.

Oh you silly southerners and your snow problems. lol j/k

I am born and raised in Upstate NY. Outside of syracuse. I dealt with winters there. SERIOUS winters. I live outside Philly now, and this is downright ridiculous. Over 20 inches last storm, and now they are calling for 18 - 24 COME ON! WTF! My back is already killing me. And I don't even know what to do with the snow I do clear. The sides of my driveway are already over my head.

I lived in Columbia MD for that storm as well. THAT SUCKED. The whole place shut down for like a week.

The good news is my neighbor was kind enough to snow blow the bulk of my driveway before I even got up this morning. That was nice. Still took about an hour to clean up what he couldn't get.

And to think we haven't even started getting the worst of it yet. :(

My grandparents live in Cannonsburg and lost power on Saturday and were told it wouldn't be until next saturday that they will get it back.

My mom is just south of there in Washington, Pa. While I'm not enjoying shoveling, I am enjoying the headlines.

"SNOMG" / "Snowpocalypse" has been followed by "Stormageddon II".

My favorite: "Snowtorious BIG"

I live just south of philly and type this post from work in Montgomeryville, PA - 35 miles north. It's not that bad. Maybe it'll pick-up this afternoon.

In NOVA/DC there are 50mph winds while its snowing hard. They have started pulling the plows off the roads. Schools are closed thru the end of the week.

Its not too bad here yet. It looks like we got 5 or so inches overnight. My understanding is that we are under a blizzard warning though for today. I wouldn't know since my directv is getting no signal :(

So I usually brew, well, not brew but stand right under this ledge while I brew... er.. a 4-5' icicle anyone?

iciclesthesizeofwindows.jpg

If we dont loose power today I will be pretty surprised. There was just a gust outside and the power lines were whipping around like crazy!

We got a crappy 2 inches of snow here and they shut the schools down. I could not friggin believe it! Someone said the back roads were drifted over from the wind, but I mean, 2 LOUSY INCHES!

My kids get the day off to play WoW or Spore, and I have to come in to work and surf the net.. . I mean fix our tape backup software... Yeah, that's it!

Nice thing about testing backup software: 10 minutes of work and 8 hours of monitoring.

asshat weathermen. Right up until this morning they were saying snow changing over to rain .... National weather service has issued a winter storm warning for our area from 1pm today till 7 pm wed heavy wet snow will fall sometimes at a rate of 1-2 inches per hour 10-18 inches by Wed afternoon with 5 or more into the eve. Wait it gets better its not suppose to stop till late Friday early Saturday morning. No amounts for those two days yet. Its snowing like a bioatch out there . Glad I took the jeep this morning but there will be people stuck everywhere. My 45 minute commute will be like 2 hours.

Back