Smuttynonse finest kind clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIXIEBOY1

Reaction score
I recently went to the east coast and tasted smuttynose finest kind - hands down the best IPA to me. Does anyone have a close replica of this recipe? TIA

Sluggo - mind talking about your setup a little bit - looks like you are recirc, but couldn't tell much from pic

I should have gone with the shorter height of Reflectix (16"?)... I used 24" and didn't think about just how hot the bottom skirt of the keg gets using a propane burner. Ended up melting a wee bit of it around the bottom... And in regard to the BMB, I wish I had waited for the plastic ones. I live in fear of them shattering. But no problems yet.

If you contact the brewer on the smuttynose site they will respond with details about their beers. I asked about Old Brown Dog and they gave the info no problem.

Yeah, my recipe was basically a hybrid of a few different ones I found here and there. One of them cited input from Smuttynose, specifically the 5-minute hop additions during the latter half of the boil. :mug:

what size and type is the fitting of your blow-off contraption? I would like to do the same w/mine.

Where is the smellovision? That looks awesome! @sluggo, ever experience stuck sparge problems with a pump? I have a March pump I am going to put on my brewstand for recirculation.

@ultravista, I originally used a 1" ID blowoff tube that fits nicely on the BMB's threaded neck, but the space constraints of my little fermentation fridge called for a more flexible solution. It started out to be the 3/4" x 1/2" PVC reducer (as seen on the left of the photo below) with 1/2" ID silicone tubing forced over the threads, which would have worked fine with the 5-gallon BMB, but with the 6.5-gallon vessel, the tubing would have kinked against the top of the fridge, so I needed a 90° solution. Home Depot didn't have the equivalent fitting as a 90° street elbow, so I ended up using the 1/2" x 1/2" joint on the right with the 3/4" x 1/2" FPT x Slip elbow in the middle. The tubing runs down to an Ikea storage box under the fermenter filled with Star San. Hope that helps!

@Dixieboy, since I'm doing BIAB and bagging hops during the boil, things are pretty well filtered out, so my cheap little pump move things pretty well. If I were doing conventional all grain, I'd be more concerned, but this pump works really well for BIAB as many Australian brewers will attest.

IMG_6491.jpg

Were you able to thread the PVC directly to the B.M.B. threaded port? I could not find a fitting piece @ Home Depot.

The cap threads on the BMB aren't specific to any standard thread... I just "force threaded" the slip fitting onto it. That is, if you slowly twist the fitting on with a bit of pressure, the threads will actually "impress" into the PVC. Just be careful to support the underside of the BMB lid as the plastic is pretty brittle and will break easily.

Back