Smoking Cornish Game Hens

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch S

Reaction score
Has anyone smoked cornish game hens? I've got to birds in my chest freezer I want to pull out and throw in the smoker. Any recommendations on woods to use and length of time? I'll smoke the entire bird, and there is 2 of them.

I’ve never done hens but I would think it’s similar to chicken. I would use a mix of apple and cherry wood and apply a dry rub of salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika in all equal parts except the salt double it so it will help dry out the skin.

I use about 2:1 ratio of cherry and hickory, though occasionally I'll just use oak.
I'll go about 200-225 to an I.T. of 145. Then raise the heat to 325-350 to crisp the skin till I.T. and I.T. is around 150-155.

I’ve never done hens but I would think it’s similar to chicken. I would use a mix of apple and cherry wood and apply a dry rub of salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika in all equal parts except the salt double it so it will help dry out the skin.
This sounds a lot like what I've used on turkey, which turned out amazing. I'll have to check what solution the plant used on it before it was bagged as I've had other meats come out really salty due to the solution containing way too much sodium.

I use about 2:1 ratio of cherry and hickory, though occasionally I'll just use oak.
I'll go about 200-225 to an I.T. of 145. Then raise the heat to 325-350 to crisp the skin till I.T. and I.T. is around 150-155.
That ratio sounds like a winner. Were you using chips or chunks? I've primarily used chips, but prefer chunk wood in my LP gas smoker. Better temp control

This sounds a lot like what I've used on turkey, which turned out amazing. I'll have to check what solution the plant used on it before it was bagged as I've had other meats come out really salty due to the solution containing way too much sodium.

I never really thought of that, all my chickens and turkeys came from a local free range farm. The rub base and salt trick came from a local BBQ place Who had amazing BBQ (had to close due to health reasons) and always had crispy skin on their chicken, and when I asked how he did it he said that was the trick.

I just got my MB electric smoker. The instructions it provides for hens (two of them, 1.5lbs each) is to smoke for 4 hours at 225F for an internal temperature of 165F.

Well, it seems to work:

IMG_20200522_143746.jpg
IMG_20200522_180621.jpg
IMG_20200522_203301.jpg

Latest posts

Back