Smoking a Turkey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukus

Reaction score
So I have decided to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving this year. I have been looking at different recipes and have not been able to come to a conclusion. There are so many options: Brine, inject, rub, or any combination of the those. So I thought I would ask the smoking experts here for recipes or ideas.

Thanks

Well, when it comes to poultry, I always brine. Since I started brining the turkey day bird several years ago I keep getting raving reviews about it's juiciness & the such. With that said, everything I smoke gets a rub except the cheeses, so I guess this year my bird gets soaked and rubbed, then smoked. Poor fella doesn't know what he's in for! :D

My dad's frying a turkey and, with my brand new pit he made me, I'm smoking 2 chickens for Thanksgiving. I'll post the marinade once I formulate one.

Here are some tips to keep in mind if you have never smoked a turkey. I don't have any great personal recipes, so I will leave that to some of the others.

Truly smoked turkey will have a different texture than what your used to, it is hard to describe, but it is smoother, kind of less grainy, and will be quite pink. You have to go off of the temp to make sure its done.

You shouldn't smoke a very large bird - you have to get it up to temp in a lot less time than beef/pork, so stay under 12 lbs and don't use stuffing. The stuffing would taste like pooh anyway and would make it harder to get the bird up to temp.

What I normally do is roast the turkey around 325, but add wood chunks to the cooker so that it has smoke flavor too.

Man, we usually fry turkeys here. I smoked a pork shoulder yesterday, it was awesome today :). I came up with a new trick for that, best bbq pork ever. You gotta brine it overnight (3Tbsp/1Gal water) in enough brine to cover the beast! I cut most of the fat off. Leave the bone if there is one though! When you take it out of the brine have a dry rub made out of 3/4 c brown sufar and about 2 Tbsp spicy Tony's. Rub that thing down!

I didn't have any lighter fluid so I took a large bean can and took out the beans (I cooked those today) I guess a malt can would work. I cut both ends off and drilled holes all the way around cloe to the bottom. then like four in the middle. I put some balled up paper in the bottom (end with allot of holes) and filled it up with charcoal--about 10 bricks. (small can in retrospect) I threw that in my pit and put on some apple and later sugar maple pellets. ( I made a small pile all the way to the side of my pit). I smoked the shoulder on the other side of the grill from the coal/pellets for about two hours.

Next I brought it in and put about a half inch of water and a Tbsp of Stubbs in the slow cooker. Put in the shoulder and pured a bit of stubbs over it. I let that go on low over night. This morning I shredded it apart and pored the residial juice from the slowcooker on it. Oh yeah, good stuff. Very smokey.

Point is, you don't have to do it in a smoker all day. You can brine it--well you have to. Just make sure you dont get an "enhanced" turkey--no injected marinade. Smoke it for just a few hours with a lot of smoke and oven it.

make sure you brine it , and make sure you have a thermomitor , it you smoke it right it will take all day, so be beprepared to get up at the butt crack of dawn.
ya and no stuffing , sometimes when i smoke a bird i will put a onion apple and some garlic in the blinder and pore it in the cavity. you throw it out when you are done but it helps to keep it moist and adds flavor.

I brine, inject, smoke, and sauce my bird every year. I may try a jalapeno inject this year. Here's my method:

Ultimate Smoked Turkey

Yield: 8 – 10 servings

1 10-13 pound turkey
1 medium onion
2 bay leaves
½ cup white wine
1 Super Smoking Sauce

Brine Turkey *
Rinse turkey, pat dry and rub liberally with oil. Place onion, bay leaves and wine in water pan with hot water. Place water pan in smoker and turkey on smoker grid. Place dome on smoker and do not remove until midway through cooking time. Then remove the dome and liberally paint turkey with Super Smoking Sauce. Replace dome and continue smoking. When turkey is done liberally paint again and allow to smoke another 15 minutes more.

Electric smoker: Use 4 quarts hot water, 3 wood sticks and smoke 4 – 6 hours.

Super Smoking Sauce

Enough sauce for 16 chickens or 2 turkeys. It is equally good when used to smoke any kind of beef, ham, or lamb.

1 pound corn oil margarine
⅔ cup sherry or red wine
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
½ cup chopped parsley
1 cup water

Combine all ingredients in heavy sauce pan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Paint on meat surfaces before, once during and end of smoking. Keeps indefinitely refrigerated.
Whole Turkey - Basic Brine

Summary

Buy a natural, 12-14 pound turkey. Don't use a self-basted turkey when brining.
Brine in a salt and brown sugar solution for 8 hours. Smoke at 325-350°F until 160-165°F in the breast, 170-175°F in the thigh, approximately 2½ to 3 hours.
Cover loosely with foil and let rest for 30 minutes before carving. Collect the pan drippings for making gravy. Let's be honest...a natural turkey can be very dry and bland, especially the white meat. Traditionally we've used gravy to address this problem, but recently people have been turning to flavor brining to add moisture and flavor to whole turkey. You can learn more about flavor brining and the science behind it in the All About Brining topic. The brine I've used here couldn't be simpler--just water, kosher salt, and brown sugar. The mixture adds flavor and moisture to the meat, but does not make the meat taste overly salty or sweet.
After brining, I applied a Creole seasoning, but you can use your favorite barbecue rub. Just don't go overboard on the salt in the rub, since the turkey has already been seasoned by the brine. I originally posted this topic based on a turkey I cooked on March 18, 2001, but I've revised the topic based on a more recent attempt on December 7, 2002.

Selecting And Preparing The Turkey
This is a 12.17 pound Albertsons Natural Turkey, just your basic, frozen supermarket turkey. When buying a turkey for brining, choose a natural turkey, not a self-basted bird that's been injected with a solution of salt and other flavorings. Look for the words "natural", "no additives", and "minimally processed" on the label. See Turkey Selection & Preparation for more details. Choose a 12-14 pound turkey and thaw according to the package directions. Remove and discard any leg restraint, then remove the giblets from the neck cavity and the neck from the body cavity. Trim away large areas of fat or excess skin around the body cavity, and cut off the tail. Rinse thoroughly inside and out, and pat dry with paper towels. The turkey is now ready for brining.

Brining The Turkey
There are three things you need to do in preparation for brining:
Find a non-reactive container large enough to hold the turkey.
Making sure the container will fit in your refrigerator.
Determine how much brine you must prepare to completely submerge the turkey in the container.
See All About Brining and Food Grade Plastic Containers For Brining for information about selecting an appropriate container, including alternatives like ice chests or turkey roasting bags inside non-food safe containers. These pictures show a 4-gallon plastic barbecue sauce bucket that I got for free from a local barbecue joint.
Remember that the bigger the container, the more brine you'll have to make, so try to match the size of the container to the turkey. To determine how much brine to prepare, place the turkey into the container and cover with cool water. Remove the turkey from the container and measure the water--that's the amount of brine you'll need. For a 12-14 pound turkey, 2-3 gallons of brine should be sufficient. Two gallons of brine were required for this turkey. Here's the recipe I used. As I said before, it couldn't be simpler.

Basic Turkey Brine
1 gallon cold water
1 cup Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt
½ cup dark brown sugar, packed

Mix in a non-reactive container until dissolved. Makes 1 gallon of brine. Substitute ¾ cup Morton Kosher Salt or ½ cup table salt for Diamond Crystal. Notice in Picture 1 that I included about 4 cups of ice cubes as part of the 2 gallons of water used to make the brine. This is an optional step that helps cool the brine. Put the turkey in the brine breast side down. Place a heavy plate or bowl on top to keep the bird submerged, if necessary. Brine for 8 hours. Since brining does not preserve meat, the turkey and the brine solution must be kept below 40°F throughout the entire brining process.

Applying The Rub Instead of Sauce
About an hour before you plan to start cooking, remove the turkey from the brine. Rinse the bird under cool running water and pat dry with paper towels. This removes sugar from the skin and prevent burning during cooking. Tuck the wings under the body to keep them out of the way during cooking. For a neat appearance, pin the neck skin down to the back using toothpicks or skewers, and tie the legs together using kitchen twine. Apply a light coat of canola oil or other vegetable oil to the turkey, and then sprinkle with your favorite rub inside and out. Remember, go light on the salt in the rub.

Thanks for all the help.... I will brine and rub my Turkey. I have never smoked a turkey before, So I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Smoking meat and Brewing beer it doesn't get any better.

You have to use one of those cigar lighters that are like a mini butane torch. Gotta watch out though, after smoke'n some turkey I always pass out on the couch that's on the porch. Maybe I'm just a fluffycat that way. :eek:
Hey, if you pass out while smoking the turkey on the couch you can burn that sucker into oblivion. Then I wouldn't have to come hunt you down. You can do the work for me.
Toke away.:)

When I smoke Turkey it's mainly as a specialty item. I brine it (with cure#1) using the method found here. Then it gets cold smoked for about 2 days, and then into a holding oven @ 170 °F for several hours until the internal temperature hits 165 °F. The breast is then chilled and sliced thin for whatever use. The legs get saved for things like soups, as well as the carcass. Meat from the carcass is first removed and used for things like smoked Turkey Mousse or salad.

I first smoked a turkey for Thanksgiving five years ago and I used Alton Brown's honey brined method, except I use a real smoker, not the grill method. It was so good, I did it again that Christmas. I have done it every Thanksgiving and Christmas since them. I'll never smoke or roast a turkey any other way.

For 2 chickens, I'm thinking:

6 cups of water
1 stick of butter
1 cup of honey
2 cups of brown sugar
2 tbls of whole peppercorns
1 white onion, sliced
3 bunches/sprigs of thyme
3 bunches/sprigs of rosemary
3 bunches/sprigs of basil
2 oranges, sliced
2 lemons, sliced
8 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 cups of Stone Smoke Porter

Heat water, sugar, honey, and butter until the butter is melted and the honey is well dissolved. Remove from heat and add remainder of the ingredients and stir while cooling. Once cool, pour into marinade bag/bowl with chickens.

from smoking things for years, a common mistake is smoking it the whole time I usually smoke my birds for a the most an hour. then i switch to low heat with no smoke. I want the flavor but i dont want it to over power. I use OAK for turkey & i;ve used cherry wood for ham & shoulders. i wouldnt stuff the bird I think the bread would take too much of the smoke flavor

I'm doing this years Thanksgiving bird on the Egg. Should be a good one.

Ed, I'm doing this as well. Do you have any tips on what size bird to use? I'm feeding about 20 people. I was wondering if I should go fairly big (18lbs), or do two smaller birds at once. I will be using the large egg with pecan and maple smoke. I plan on brining as well. Thanks.

brine and slow smoked I used apple wood from to orchard down the street . And after you take the bird out if you use one of those coleman type with the pan under the bird take that damn pan out cause when the water is gone the fat make one hell of a oil fire..

Ed, I'm doing this as well. Do you have any tips on what size bird to use? I'm feeding about 20 people. I was wondering if I should go fairly big (18lbs), or do two smaller birds at once. I will be using the large egg with pecan and maple smoke. I plan on brining as well. Thanks.

I picked up a 20# bird. I won't be smoking it per say, but roasting it in the egg.

Here's the method I am using. It has rave reviews.

Mad Max's Turkey -- Naked Whiz Ceramic Charcoal Cooking

I have two 12 pound fresh birds that went into the brine last night. Each bird is submerged in a mixture of 2 gallons water, 1 cup salt, 6 oz pink salt, and 6 oz brown sugar. I plan on firing up the offset with some cherry logs and smoking until about 155 F.

I'm not sure how slow to go this time, I'm not set up for unattended cold smoking and in the past I've always roasted.

I picked up a 20# bird. I won't be smoking it per say, but roasting it in the egg.

:ban: I love that guy's site! I hadn't seen that recipe though, thanks!
Have you made that gravy before? It looks amazing.

I picked up a 19lb turkey today. I've decided to skip on the pecan and maple as I didn't care for the color it left a chicken I did over the weekend. I'll probably use apple (not much just a handful).

Ed - I have done this recipe a couple times and I find it a little lacking in the flavor department. I kept trying because I figured I was doing something wrong with how people rave about it, but each time was the same. I personally would use his as a guide, but then add either some injection, brine, or additional seasoning.

You might also want to have some traditional gravy as a backup - I liked the unique taste of Max's wine reduction one, but not all of my guests did.

Ed - I have done this recipe a couple times and I find it a little lacking in the flavor department. I kept trying because I figured I was doing something wrong with how people rave about it, but each time was the same. I personally would use his as a guide, but then add either some injection, brine, or additional seasoning.

You might also want to have some traditional gravy as a backup - I liked the unique taste of Max's wine reduction one, but not all of my guests did.

Yeah, it's mainly the process I'm using. All the spicing is handled by SWMBO. She can spice up a bird that makes the skin the best part. We'll do the gravy our way too.

The setup is good and icing the breast down before hand is a great tip too.

I smoked a 16#er on Friday for our Thanksgiving feast. Basic brine for 24 hours, Butter & Jalapeno injected marinade and Creole Rub. Chased it with my Irish Red Rye and Obsidian Stout Clone. Everyone was happy.

Back