Smoked sea salt in Imperial stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I stumbled across smoked sea salt and started thinking about how I could use that in a beer recipe...

I've had an imperial stout that was brewed with a heavy amount of sea salt and it was fantastic. Im thinking it would go well in an Imperial stout with a small amount of smoked malt to make some kind of smokey Imperial stout.

Anyone ever used smoked sea salt in a brew?

Like in cooking, salt is sometimes added to help make flavors 'Pop', and it is not just Gose beers. Seems mostly to be flavored Porters and Stouts that get the treatment, but there are a few IPAs too. It was originally used in the Prohibition era because beers were tasteless. Don't add much; if you can taste the salt, you have used too much.

How much to add? Do some research. You could add a small measured amount to a single beer and see what it does. If you like the result, you would just need to multiply the amount by how many bottles you expect to be brewing. Just check the bottom of he glass to check if it all got dissolved, or if some salt was left in the glass.

I don't think smoked salt will give you much smoke flavor. I suspect it you use enough of the salt to get the smoked flavor in the beer, you will have an undrinkable beer from too much salt.

Thanks for bringing up this topic. I think I will do some research and some trials myself. Just with the salt, not smoked salt.

Like in cooking, salt is sometimes added to help make flavors 'Pop', and it is not just Gose beers. Seems mostly to be flavored Porters and Stouts that get the treatment, but there are a few IPAs too. It was originally used in the Prohibition era because beers were tasteless. Don't add much; if you can taste the salt, you have used too much.

How much to add? Do some research. You could add a small measured amount to a single beer and see what it does. If you like the result, you would just need to multiply the amount by how many bottles you expect to be brewing. Just check the bottom of he glass to check if it all got dissolved, or if some salt was left in the glass.

I don't think smoked salt will give you much smoke flavor. I suspect it you use enough of the salt to get the smoked flavor in the beer, you will have an undrinkable beer from too much salt.

Thanks for bringing up this topic. I think I will do some research and some trials myself. Just with the salt, not smoked salt.

I think it can be done nicely to the point where you taste the salt. Only Child Brewing in Gurnee did an Imperial Stout with salt called Question Authority. It was a fantastic beer and you could really taste the salt in it. It had a salty sweet thing going on. One of the best beers I think they've done to date.

That's kind of what I had in mind when I brought this topic up, but ended up doing something different.

Back