Smoked Pineapple?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomofett

Reaction score
So this may be strange and I don't know much about smoked malts (I only have access to raunchy malt and I've yet to use it) but I am getting some WLP644 soon, and I have a lot of Denali and from what I've read those both impart a huge pineapple flavor.

Would it be crazy to make a Pale Ale with very very little boil hop but huge dry hop and whirlpool to get just mainly the taste, and have a little rauch?
I like smoked pineapple in real life sooo... maybe? If it's a sweetness that's missing could I toss in a little honey malt?

I would just add a touch of the malts so it wouldn't be overpowering. And I know that people will say that hops and smoke clash, but they also said that about sour and hops before we got all these sour IPAs.

Just looking for any thoughts, I wanna experiment with something, but not something that's almost surely likely to fail. I live where ingredients are not cheap or easy to get so I try to be a little careful

So this may be strange and I don't know much about smoked malts (I only have access to raunchy malt and I've yet to use it) but I am getting some WLP644 soon, and I have a lot of Denali and from what I've read those both impart a huge pineapple flavor.

Would it be crazy to make a Pale Ale with very very little boil hop but huge dry hop and whirlpool to get just mainly the taste, and have a little rauch?
I like smoked pineapple in real life sooo... maybe? If it's a sweetness that's missing could I toss in a little honey malt?

I would just add a touch of the malts so it wouldn't be overpowering. And I know that people will say that hops and smoke clash, but they also said that about sour and hops before we got all these sour IPAs.

Just looking for any thoughts, I wanna experiment with something, but not something that's almost surely likely to fail. I live where ingredients are not cheap or easy to get so I try to be a little careful

I like your train of thought. I have no experience with Denali, so not comments there, but a bit of smoke with 644 would be nice. If you can find cherrywood smoked malt, thats even better as it imparts a subtle sweetness. I find honey malt cloying, but at a low enough % it could be complementary. Send me a bottle. :mug:

For the record, hops and sour don't clash. Sour and bitter do. Yuuuuuge difference.:D

Raunchy malt is my favorite malt! :D

Seriously, though, I think the idea sounds fun. I don't have any wisdom to offer on this one, but I am very interested to hear how it comes out!

I like to grill pineapple. Just clean up a whole fresh ripe pineapple, slice it in 1/2 inch thick rounds and toss them on a hot grill, but not over hot coals. turn often to prevent burning. When cooked through, mm..mmmm. I would think it would add some good pineapple flavor in the secondary. Just make sure it is sanitized in oven, with boiling water or other method to prevent infection. It should add some tropical flavor to your beer.

I like your train of thought. I have no experience with Denali, so not comments there, but a bit of smoke with 644 would be nice. If you can find cherrywood smoked malt, thats even better as it imparts a subtle sweetness. I find honey malt cloying, but at a low enough % it could be complementary. Send me a bottle. :mug:

For the record, hops and sour don't clash. Sour and bitter do. Yuuuuuge difference.:D

Breiss has a cherrywood smoked malt and their fact sheet lists how much of it to use as a percent of the grain bill based on how much smoke flavor your seek to achieve.

On smoked/grilled pineapple, something magical happens to the sugars in that fruit when you cook it over fire.

Yeah, my hesitation with this is that I'm basing it on the fact that I like real world smoked pineapple. But I'm guessing a lot of that is because of the sugars

Breiss has a cherrywood smoked malt and their fact sheet lists how much of it to use as a percent of the grain bill based on how much smoke flavor your seek to achieve.

On smoked/grilled pineapple, something magical happens to the sugars in that fruit when you cook it over fire.

That's what I was talking about. I've gone up to 40% with it. That is not subtle. [emoji6]

You could always char that pineapple on the grill too, if you wanted to get that deep maillard caramelization thing going.

****, I may do this myself....

Raunchy malt is my favorite malt! :D

Seriously, though, I think the idea sounds fun. I don't have any wisdom to offer on this one, but I am very interested to hear how it comes out!

Haha, just saw that. Oops!

Thanks everyone so far, but like I said before, I don't plan on using actual pineapple. I was asking about using a yeast and a hop that both have a huge pineapple flavor

I'm pretty limited for yeast where I'm at, but I hear the 644 is very Brett-like, so much so that they thought it was Brett for years. Hopefully that'll work

I've heard that there are enzymes in pineapple that can lead to off flavors and aromas when fermented; maybe some interaction with sacc or Brett. The recommendation was to use something that was pasteurized or to cook/grill any fresh pineapple. I have no experience with it.

Yeah, I've heard that too. That's why I'm not planning on using pineapple

Back