Smoked Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EgadBananas

Reaction score
I'm brewing a smoked stout tomorrow, so I just guessed on how much smoked malt to use, but I'm curious if I got an appropriate amount to provide an intense smokiness. It's a 3 gallon batch, all grain, and I got 1lb of smoked malt. Just have no idea if smoked malts carry the "little goes a long way moniker".

Thanks and cheers!

In my experience, the Weyermans that we can get is so old that even at 100% of grist, you won't pick up real smoke from it. So at 10% you'll certainly never notice it.

The Weyermann smoked malts are fairly subtle compared to peated malts produced by other maltsters. I use ~30% Weyermann Beechwood smoked barley in my smoked beer, and it creates a nice smokiness.

I can't speak about Weyermann, but I can say that 10% of the Briess smoked malt was fairly strong in a brown ale I did awhile back. You might try that in the future.

Latest posts

Back