Smoked Hops??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrystalShip

Reaction score
Has anybody ever used smoked hops before. The head brewer of a local brewery gave me about a pound of smoked Apollo whole leaf hops because they "were stinking up his cold room" lol. They are pretty pungent!
What do you guys think?

So are they brown then...trying to visualize...guessing it would be like using tobacco

But I personally hate smoked beers

I would be interested in using them sparingly in batch to see how much smoke flavor they add.

I've had a homebrewed smoked hop beer; it was really nice. A lot more mellow than smoked malt. Go for it!

I would think smoking the hops would reduce the acids in them. Ty- did you use more hops to offset this? Seems easier to smoke the malt, less risky. I really want to do a rauchbier, as well as a smoked IPA. Does smoking the hops add any components other than the smokiness?

I would think smoking the hops would reduce the acids in them. Ty- did you use more hops to offset this? Seems easier to smoke the malt, less risky. I really want to do a rauchbier, as well as a smoked IPA. Does smoking the hops add any components other than the smokiness?

I didn't do it, a friend did. He said he cold-smoked them. I think he also used some regular hops too. Again, it was very pleasant.

The hops are just as green as normal ones, but they are extremely pungent a far as smoked aroma is concerned. The brewer that gave them to me thinks that smoking may have decreased alpha acid content.

I made an India red ale using a small amount in a first wort addition.

I'll report on taste shortly

So the finished beer definitely had a lot if smoky flavor to it.

I would be willing to say that it had more smoke to it than many beers made with smoked grain!

Latest posts

Back