smelly yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_in_GA

Reaction score
I made a starter two days ago for a batch I brewed today. I haven't used the washed yeast from this particular batch before. I saw no activity in the starter on my stir plate. I wasn't worried about that, since I know you don't always catch it. However, when I went to pitch it, I smelled the starter before pitching it, and it smelled BAD. Like something was rotten. I've done a few batches and never smelled anything like this before. I didn't think to taste it before I pitched it. I will, of course, give it a few days to see what happens in the airlock, but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this same thing? Am I just being paranoid? I did have a few homebrews and am trying not to worry. I just hate the thought of having ruined a batch. Thanks for your insights.

You may not be paranoid. I know that some yeast stinks and others are pleasingly bready. Depending on the strain, I might just chuck it and buy a new vial.

What was the yeast strain?

I had one batch get infected and it smelt awful. A starter should usually smell yeasty or bready (depending ion the strain etc). I think you might end up dumping this batch. Sorry :(

It was a Wyeast London ESB that I harvested a few months ago. I'll give it a few days and see if there's any activity. If so, I'll wait to see how it turns out when I take my first FG reading. I always taste the samples. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks.

I'm a White Labs guy so I have no experience with Wyeast, but the London Ale yeast that I used and harvested always smelled yeasty/bready. The strains may be very different but it sounds like an infection. I hope I'm wrong.

Okay, after several days there was no activity, but a really bad smell. I guess the yeast in my starter was contaminated, and the bacteria overpowered the it. I have dumped that batch and cleaned the bucket. I use a plastic bucket for my primary. Should I pitch it and buy a new one, or will it be okay after a good cleaning and sanitation?

In the "Brew Strong" show discussing fermentors, they suggest getting a new bucket every 6 batches or so. They do this to specifically avoid infection. I don't know anyone who throws out their fermentors that quick, but if you are sure the batch was infected, I would buy a new bucket.

Bleach it really well, then rinse, rinse, rinse and it will be OK. (Unless it is scratched up)

Add-on question: should I replace my stir bar since it's plastic? It doesn't look scratched at all.

Bacteria are tricky little buggers. Even if they are not plentiful or powerful enough to overcome the yeast, they can still leave minor, mild (or very noticeable) off-flavors in your beer.

Do whatever you think needs to be done. In the end, though, RDWHAHB. ;)

Latest posts

Back