smells of vinegar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemist308

Reaction score
I just cracked both of my primary fermenters--batches started on May 27 (English Ale) and June 2 (Stout). Both batches suffered temperature variations late in the fermentation--airlocks went back down and stayed. Left that way for 3 weeks. Both batches now smell vinegary. However the english ale does not taste of it.

Should I flush it or bottle it?

Thanks anyway. Sorry to waste the post. I got some of the bottles full with the english ale and decided that I couldn't stand that odor anymore, much less let alone sitting with a glass of it taking it in. The english ale's gone. The stout I'll clean out out tomorrow. :eek:

Is this something indicating that I need to be more careful of sanitation or do you think the temperature contro,l or lack thereof, did me in?

NOOOOO!!!! You should have kept on bottling despite the smell. Conditioning does amazing things to beer. In a month or two the smell may have completely changed or gone away and you may have been left with a wonderful beer. Don't toss the stout. Bottle it and let it age for 2 months, then try it. If it still tastes bad give it another 4 months, then try it again, if it still tastes bad give it another 6 months. If it still tastes bad at that time then I think I'll agree that you should toss it. Worst case scenario you're out 50 bottle caps, some priming sugar, a little sanitizer and some of your time. Best case scenario you end up with some great beer to drink.

I had the same thing happen to me to a steam beer I had made. I had transfered to the secondary and used knox gelatin. After that when I went to rack beer to the keg it really smelt like vinegar.

I was told it could be a lactic infection.

Yeah, you never throw a brew.
And this is me saying that and I've had a few bad brews.
I still age them for a month in bottles before throwing them out, just to make sure they're unsalvageble.
I bottled a brew I did a month ago, and it was so foul after a month aging I almost ditched them. A week later they've improved, if it was an infection it would've got worse, so I'm saving them for another month.

Back