Smells like sewage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramitt

Reaction score
I brewed a Smash of 2-row and centennial went to add another oz of hops to dry hop in primary 16 days later and the smell is awful, I kind of gagged. 1st time using my ale-pale, previous 2 batches were in carboys. I used 1 pack notty I hydrated before pitching. I think my sanitation was ok, star san used very liberally. Only areas that could be of issue was a long time to cool with an open brew kettle, don't have an IC yet so I cool by putting my 36 qt aluminum turkey fryer in an ice bath with flowing water, or the fact fermentation is on the concrete floor of my basement that has probably been low 60's and could have dipped into the 50's, much of the fermentation.

Will this resolve in time? Could it be hydrogen sulfide?

If it smells like rotten eggs, it's hydrogen sulfide.

Give it some more time, see how it goes.

If you are cooling with an open kettle you are inviting infections. Get a lid. And when you get a chance, it's a really a good idea to get an immersion chiller. They're not very expensive, and really worth it in cooling time and what they contribute in beer stability and reduced chill haze.
Hope your beer turns out ok, hydrogen sulfide can dissipate over time, so it may be ok. Might want to rack it to secondary so you can give it some time without having it sit on the yeast.

Brave the cold outdoors. If your like me and live in an old house just imagine all the nasties that floating around in the basement.

If you are cooling with an open kettle you are inviting infections. Get a lid. And when you get a chance, it's a really a good idea to get an immersion chiller. They're not very expensive, and really worth it in cooling time and what they contribute in beer stability and reduced chill haze.
Hope your beer turns out ok, hydrogen sulfide can dissipate over time, so it may be ok. Might want to rack it to secondary so you can give it some time without having it sit on the yeast.

an IC is high on my list, I do have a lid, had been leaving it off to cool quicker. Racking to a secondary is a good idea. Thanks

Does it taste like sewage? Fermentation isn't exactly the best smelling process IMHO.

Does it taste like sewage? Fermentation isn't exactly the best smelling process IMHO.

Very true, and some yeasts are known for that (especially lagers, but some ales, too)

Quicker chill benefit is dwarfed by potential for infections IMHO. Put the lid on when you chill (Even when you get an IC)

i have not tasted it, the smell made me gag a bit. I think i will leav it in the primary for another week for a full 21 days then reevaluate and maybe taste and reconsider dry hopping, which is why I had opened the bucket. This is oly my 3rd batch, my 1st 2 a english biter kit and an all grain Edworts House pale never had a stank like this thankfully.

+1 If there is one skill you must learn as a home brewer it's patience.. Give it time to get better before you do anything else. You also never said what was the beer, exactly. Some beers DO stink

I know that patience is a virtue in brewing, but the idea of it smelling like sewage would make me be inclined to dump it. Sulfury odors is one thing- sewage will never improve.

Could just be that you don't like Centennial. I've brewed only two recipes from this site with one of them being the Centennial Blond. I didn't care for it at all despite many people giving it high marks. Some time much later I brewed an all Centennial pale ale that I seemed to hate equally well. It then occurred to me that it was the Centennial hops. However my favorite recipe that I made of my own uses Centennial for aroma. Centennial for me cannot be the featured hop in a beer.

At any rate, Id taste the batch and not dump it until you are certain that you just don't like it.

Well a week later and it smells a bit funky, but not so much like sewage. It is my first time using centennial so that may have something to do with it. It is a SMaSH with 2 oz Centennial and organic 2-row. I was planning to dry hop with another Oz, but think I will save it in case it sucks.

Bottled a few weeks ago and tried my first tonight. Pretty damn tasty. Thanks for the moral support, what ever the bad smell was conditioned out. Not a perfect brew, but one I will enjoy drinking.

Back