Smell that occurred at end of fermentation for 2nd time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrjones1975

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am at end of my 2nd brew attempt 1st wash a basic lager extract brewing, this one is an amber extract with added hops and grain both have had a strong smell and taste after fermentation of window putty. (this is best i can describe this smell but suppose it could be compared to plumbers putty or raw clay) Is this normal to have a smell like this before carbing and ageing. ? It is not a totally repulsive smell more than anything i would say it was a pretty sterile smell i think it reminds me of something i have smelt within my time working in hospitals just cant put my finger on it.

hi Mrjones.

beer gives off some funny smells during the course of fermentation, and generally it will taste drastically different after lagering and carbonation.

That being said, if it does not go away and you give us some more details it becomes more likely that we can pinpoint any issues.

What yeast strain? What temp are you fermenting at? Did you notice if it was the same yest both times?

Are you just using a standard out of the box equipment kit?

What yeast did you use? How much did you pitch? What temperature did it ferment at? What was the og and how long has it been in the fermenter?

Co2 us created during fermentation and has a pretty strong smell it can catch you off guard and kinda choke you. Sulfur and other undesirable things are also created during fermentation but the yeast does a good job of cleaning these up.

1st brew coopers lager bear kit - yeast was provided coopers lager yeast - temp was just what i could provide in my cupboard 21oc
2nd brew used amber coopers malt kit added hops grain and yeast from german pilsner - temp was same.

i also used the grain and hops again but reboiling. i made 5ltrs from that and used the remaining malt from round can i just racked that into spair soda bottles i had and poured a glass or 2 lol i have to say aint tasting strong but that smell is not there and it tastes beautiful. cant wait til that 2ltr bottle cabonates should taste realy nice as for the main batch il bottle and hope for the best.

Do any of you guys know if its ok to bottle it when cloudy of should it be bottled only when totally clear?

Not to be rude, but I have no clue what you're trying to say. You'll need to describe your process better for me to start to understand what you did, I can't make much sense of your last post. Though I can say that 21C (70F) is far to warm for lager yeast and its going to produce some wierd smells and flavors at that temp.

Latest posts

Back