SMaSH recipe for extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BohWarden

Reaction score
I've got about a dozen batches down so far and am now intrigued by the Single malt and single hop approach to things. I am too lazy to look through the entire forum so I'm just wondering if anybody knows how to go about making a SMASH recipe for extract brewing. Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers!:mug:

It depends on how picky you wanna get with the definition of a "Single Malt." The problem is most extracts aren't made of just base malt but often have a bit of something else added, like Carapils. If this is your opinion, try to find a 100% base malt extract. Briess sparkling amber and Munton's DME light are 100% base malt I think.

On the other hand, if you think that the main reason for doing SMaSH recipes is to learn about the ingredients then it's just as important for an extract brewer to learn about their extract as it is for an all grain brewer to learn about their grain. In that case, get your malt extract, pick your hop and your yeast and let it rip.

I brew SMASH beers frequently as a "house beer" so I can have something on tap when company comes over. A typical recipe would be something like this:

6 lbs breiss golden light dme
1 oz cascade hops
Wyeast 1332 starter

(the dme, hops and yeast can be varied to suit your taste)
optional .... add 1 lb rice syrup solids to bump abv and dry the beer out

Boil 3 gal filtered water, add hops, remove from flame and stir in at least 1 lb dme. At 5 min remaining, add the remaining dme and , if using, the rice syrup solids.

Cool the wort, use cold water to bring the volume to 5 gal, oxygenate, pitch the yeast and place in your fermentation chamber.

Note: You can boil this for 60 min if you want ... but 20 min is enough.

It usually takes me longer to clean up than to actually brew:)

:mug:

It depends on how picky you wanna get with the definition of a "Single Malt." The problem is most extracts aren't made of just base malt but often have a bit of something else added, like Carapils. If this is your opinion, try to find a 100% base malt extract. Briess sparkling amber and Munton's DME light are 100% base malt I think.

On the other hand, if you think that the main reason for doing SMaSH recipes is to learn about the ingredients then it's just as important for an extract brewer to learn about their extract as it is for an all grain brewer to learn about their grain. In that case, get your malt extract, pick your hop and your yeast and let it rip.

I think their golden light, and pilsen light, are more likely to be 100% base malt than an amber malt (where's the amber colour coming from?).

There also have Marris Otter extracts, which I believe are 100% Marris Otter.
Pretty much find a SMaSH recipe and just convert the grain to the appropriate (or as close to as possible) extract and it should be pretty close to the same thing.

I think their golden light, and pilsen light, are more likely to be 100% base malt than an amber malt (where's the amber colour coming from?).

There also have Marris Otter extracts, which I believe are 100% Marris Otter.
Pretty much find a SMaSH recipe and just convert the grain to the appropriate (or as close to as possible) extract and it should be pretty close to the same thing.

Northern Brewer advertises the Maillard Malts Maris Otter Extract as 100% Maris Otter with no additional malt or sugars.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/maillard-malts-maris-otter-malt-extract-syrup.html

I brewed a Smash with 6 lbs. Light LME, 3 oz. Cascade and Nottingham yeast.

2.5 gal water, at boil added LME and 1 oz Cascade. At 20 min added 1 oz Cascade and another oz. at 25 min for 5 min.
Fermented for 10 days, cold crashed to 45* and kegged. Primed with 2/3 cup raw cane sugar. Should be ready to sample in another week.
I like Cascade and the simplicity of this recipe.

Added water to make 5 gallons!

Agree with MMB, use the Marris Otter from NB also noticed that the Alexander's Pale Malt Syrup is 100% 2 row.

I have done many "Smash" IPA's using NB Marris Otter extract and their Golden LME. Personally simcoe /mosaic and chinook were awesome in either extract

I brewed a Smash with 6 lbs. Light LME, 3 oz. Cascade and Nottingham yeast.

2.5 gal water, at boil added LME and 1 oz Cascade. At 20 min added 1 oz Cascade and another oz. at 25 min for 5 min.
Fermented for 10 days, cold crashed to 45* and kegged. Primed with 2/3 cup raw cane sugar. Should be ready to sample in another week.
I like Cascade and the simplicity of this recipe.

Am I missing something here or is your recipe calling for 2.5 gallons of water total and using 6 lbs of LME?

Maris Otter extract, East Kent Goldings hops and Wyeast 1968 (or Nottingham Dry Yeast) makes an awesome English-style SMaSH.

Good work everyone. Very helpful. Couple of questions. Would the cans of extract tell me if it is 100% one type of malt? Also would it be beneficial at all to steep base grains?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I like to do SMaSHs with marris otter. Its a true single malt extract but at the same time it has a complex taste. My favorite right now is 6.6 lbs with 2oz of galaxy

Northern Brewer's SMASH Pale Ale kit was one of my favorite batches this year.

Good work everyone. Very helpful. Couple of questions. Would the cans of extract tell me if it is 100% one type of malt? Also would it be beneficial at all to steep base grains?

Base grains must be mashed to convert their starches to fermentable sugars. That's why crystal malts are typically used for steeping; their starches have already been converted in the kernel itself. They need only be crushed and steeped to dissolve the sugar. Doing this with a base malt would add unfermentable starch and not taste very good...

There are still starches in Crystal malts but way less than in base malts: the lighter the Crystal is, the more starches remains. But Crystals contribute more to the flavor than to the sugar content, so steeping is perfect to get what we need for an extract recipe.

That sounds petty yummy. I may have to try that. How do you split the two ounces? 1 at 60, 0.5 at 20, and 0.5 at flameout?

Do whatever you want. Mix it up and try a schedule you've never done before. Skip the 60 all together and do only late additions or an ounce at 60 and ounce at 0. I like to use 30 minute boils when 60 minute additions aren't necessary. I went with .5 at 30 .5 at 5 and an 1 at flameout. Maximize the late additions to get the fruit flavors to come out

I'm going to try a SMaSH ESB once I empty some bottles.

6.6 lb Maris Otter LME

2 oz East Kent Goldings 60m
1 oz East Kent Goldings 20m
1 oz East Kent Goldings 5 m

1 package of Nottingham yeast

4oz of Hops seems a lot, but with a 3 Gal Boil, Brewers Friend tells me that's about what I need to hit 36IBU's.

30 minute boil
2 lb Pilsner DME at 30 min
4 lb Pilsner DME at 10 min
1/2 oz Citra at 30 min
1/2 oz Citra at 10 min
Dry hop with 1 or 2 oz Citra

I'm going to try a SMaSH ESB once I empty some bottles.

6.6 lb Maris Otter LME

2 oz East Kent Goldings 60m
1 oz East Kent Goldings 20m
1 oz East Kent Goldings 5 m

1 package of Nottingham yeast

4oz of Hops seems a lot, but with a 3 Gal Boil, Brewers Friend tells me that's about what I need to hit 36IBU's.

All cool, but I'd be more concerned about Notty. Notty is a a badass attenuator and is pretty neutral. If you want a good ESB, and have to do dry yeast, consider S-04. And I'm a danstar fan.

I'm using it out of circumstance. My FLBS had a customer appreciation day a few weeks ago and in my goodie bag were 3 packages of Notty so I figured, not having used it before, and after some reading indicated that it was a good yeast for an ESB, I'd give it a go in a British style bitter.

So far as the attenuation goes, that'd just mean I'd get a slightly more alcoholic, dryer brew, right? I think I'm largely okay with that.

I am going to try a Centennial SHaDE IPA this weekend:

6.2%
50 IBUs
SRM 3 This is out of the IPA (14B) range, but I am not adding steeping grains.

8lbs Pilsen DME at 30 minutes (30 minute boil)

.5 oz. Centennial at 30
.5 oz. Centennial at 20
1 oz Centennial at 7
2 oz. Centennial dry hopped (7 days)

Safale 05 slurry

If you're making a hoppy smash, Alexander's LME and Muntons extra light DME both work very well. I prefer both to Briess. If you're looking for a rich malty beer, go the maris otter route.

Marris Otter is more a slightly toasted cracker taste. Munich is where you'll find the malty...

Latest posts

Back