American IPA SMaSH Maris Otter/Mosaic NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodent

Rumbler of the low end
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Imperial Flagship #A07
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 @ 64F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
11 @ 68F
Tasting Notes
Juicy and complex hops with a perfect malt background. Abundant hop aroma and flavor, but bitterness is soft and supple for 50 IBUs
just completing a MO/Mosaic SMaSH that has exceeded my expectations, even more so as it's also my first recipe hack attempt from the ground up. Perfect for early summer consumption IMO

60 min boil, 5 gallon batch
Brui'n Water profile: well water adjusted to 140, 18, 26, 255, 48, 87 for 425 hardness and 72 Alkalinity
152F mash with an adjusted 5.2 pH

13.5# Maris Otter
0.5oz Mosaic (12.7%) in first wort
0.5oz Mosaic at 15 min
1.5oz after FO at 180F for 30 min whirlpool
Flagship Imperial yeast

ferment 4 days at 64F, then 11 days at 68F
rack to secondary
1.5oz Mosaic dry hop 4 days
cold crash to 35F for 3 days, keg, and force CO2

1.070 OG
1.013 FG
6.3% ABV

Juicy, hazy, and light mouth feel for the amount of grain used. Bitterness is supple for 50 IBUs, and probably due to the variety and whirlpool addition.

Originally intended to clarify further with gelatin, but it's such a spot-on NEIPA that I can't bring myself to do it. This WILL be brew again!

I have made something similar to this every summer for three years as a summer SMaSH and it is consistently one of peoples favorites and a beer I look forward to at the start of every summer. If I get the chance I will post my recipe I didn't set it up to be a NEIPA, but I see how it can easily fit the style. Thanks for sharing.

I love the sound of this, but can't get Maris Otter where I'm at, any suggestions of a substitute grain? Would a Pale Ale grain work as per this table: https://www.brew.is/files/malt.html

FYI these are the gains I have access to: https://minicerveceria.com/62-maltas

Maris Otter is just a specific kind of Pale Malt, so it's not far off. However, I wouldn't do it smash then, but mix in a bit of Munich and Victory malt (maybe even a touch of Melanoidin?e you'll find plenty suggestions if you google 'substitute maris otter') to emulate the flavour of MO, which has a more pronounced nutty flavour. Or just roll with the lighter malt flavour.

Please post a picture!
just saw this request, so I went digging back into my brewing notes. here ye be

upload_2019-9-3_12-43-47.png

There's a biscuit grain available where I am: https://minicerveceria.com/maltas/296-biscuit

So a small amont of that possibly with the pale malt? How much, 5%, 10%?

Less than that, around 2-3% I'd say. That stuff is strong and has a somewhat harsh taste to it. Too much of it might kill the softness and elegance of the brew. Good luck and enjoy!

just completing a MO/Mosaic SMaSH that has exceeded my expectations, even more so as it's also my first recipe hack attempt from the ground up. Perfect for early summer consumption IMO

60 min boil, 5 gallon batch
Brui'n Water profile: well water adjusted to 140, 18, 26, 255, 48, 87 for 425 hardness and 72 Alkalinity
152F mash with an adjusted 5.2 pH

13.5# Maris Otter
0.5oz Mosaic (12.7%) in first wort
0.5oz Mosaic at 15 min
1.5oz after FO at 180F for 30 min whirlpool
Flagship Imperial yeast

ferment 4 days at 64F, then 11 days at 68F
rack to secondary
1.5oz Mosaic dry hop 4 days
cold crash to 35F for 3 days, keg, and force CO2

1.070 OG
1.013 FG
6.3% ABV

Juicy, hazy, and light mouth feel for the amount of grain used. Bitterness is supple for 50 IBUs, and probably due to the variety and whirlpool addition.

Originally intended to clarify further with gelatin, but it's such a spot-on NEIPA that I can't bring myself to do it. This WILL be brew again!
Did you use pellet or whole hops?

I used pellet hops for all my brewing. tried whole hops a couple times, but didn't notice any significant flavor/aroma difference, but what a difference in mess IME when it comes time to low pressure transfer to kegs

Founders has a seasonal SMaSH called Mosaic Promise. Same concept, but Golden Promise malt, and around the same level of hops.
I got the recipe and made my version. I might change to Maris Otter next time.

One thing I would suggest about this recipe is to change the water to a West Coast IPA profile to enhance the biscuity goodness of Maris.

Back