SMaSH IPA or single hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pintabone

Reaction score
Just wanted to get some current thoughts on whether people feel it's worth brewing a true SMaSH IPA or a more traditional IPA grain bill with just a single hop.

I'm planning on brewing a single hop IPA with Simcoe next weekend. Considering brewing a true SMaSH with Maris Otter / Simcoe but wonder if it's worth it. Would the beer ultimately be better by adding some vienna, wheat / oats and or a light crystal to add a bit to the malt character of the beer while still allowing the hops to dominate.

Brew both and compare.

I'm a big smash fan and a simpleton with even non-smash recipes.

I've never had a really good smash beer. But that doesn't mean i wouldn't suggest trying it. It helps you learn the flavors and aromas of specific ingredients.

If you want to understand what Simcoe brings, make an all Simcoe beer. But that doesn't mean you need to make the grain bill 1 dimensional. Don't muddy the waters with 5-6 different grains though either. 1 base + 1 crystal is a good start. A 100% base malt beer i just too plain and thin.

But if you want to make a good IPA, my best advice is to use a simple grain bill (2-3 malts tops) and choose couple hop varieties and have many additions... 60, 20, 10 , 5, a big knockout addition and a big dry hop. Layering those hop additions will give you a lot more complexity.

Almost every pilsener available is a smash. A few might use a second hop for bittering, but that's it.

Sierra Nevada pale ale is supposed to be a smash and I like it a lot.

Will brew a no chill and late hop addition only in a few weeks myself.

Don't mash to low and the result will be awesome.

Almost every pilsener available is a smash. A few might use a second hop for bittering, but that's it.

Not even close to true.

Hardly any commercial beer of any style is SMaSH, even macro lagers.

Sierra Nevada pale ale is supposed to be a smash and I like it a lot.

Not even close to true.

From SN's website (copy/paste):
OVERVIEW

• ALCOHOL CONTENT 5.6% by volume
    • BEGINNING GRAVITY 13.1° plato
    • ENDING GRAVITY 2.8° plato
    • BITTERNESS UNITS 38
INGREDIENTS
  • YEAST Ale yeast
  • BITTERING HOPS Magnum, Perle
  • FINISHING HOPS Cascade
  • MALTS Two-row Pale, Caramel

Grist
Two-row Pale 92% 1.8 °L
Caramel 8% 60 °L

Whole Cone Hops
US Magnum 0.5 oz. 60 minutes
Perle 0.5 oz. 60 minutes
Cascasde 2 oz. 30 minutes
Cascasde 2 oz. 0 minutes

So what you have here is a DMaTH

Last edited:
Was thinking about something like this and going back and forth whether to do all MO.

Water profile
Calcium - 125
Magnesium - 4
Sodium - 23
Sulfate - 248
Chloride - 59

10 lb maris otter
1 lb vienna
.5 lb flaked wheat

Mash @ 151 for 60 minutes

1 oz Simcoe FWH
1 oz Simcoe 10
1 oz Simcoe 5
2 oz Simcoe 0
5 oz Simcoe dry hop
Wyeast 1056

this is a road I've walked a bit

MO is the big local grain - I drive behind trucks full of MO taking the kids to school ... so feel compelled to use it

when I started brewing I liked the idea of smash (and I've had some great ones in pubs) however MO, for me, has a sweet/malty taste which I think is very strong - others disagree

so, after a few dozen brews, I've started mixing it - I always use at least 50% MO, but 40% of pale or similar, and 10% vienna or rye or something (those are just indicators)

I'm finding the beers are more balanced now - I'll still do a full MO - but 1 in 10 or something

now my water is a good porter water and crap for IPA - so it could be that same water profile also brings out the sweetness etc. in MO and it's not an issue for you - or like many people you could really like the taste of it that way

Looks good to me...

If i were to change anything i'd drop the wheat and replace it with some light crystal... like a C10 or C20. Don't do a 100% MO grist unless you just really want to see what it tastes like (hint: not much).

If you're going to single infusion mash i'd go more like 148F.

Not even close to true.

Hardly any commercial beer of any style is SMaSH, even macro lagers.

Not even close to true.

From SN's website (copy/paste):
OVERVIEW

• ALCOHOL CONTENT 5.6% by volume
    • BEGINNING GRAVITY 13.1° plato
    • ENDING GRAVITY 2.8° plato
    • BITTERNESS UNITS 38
INGREDIENTS
  • YEAST Ale yeast
  • BITTERING HOPS Magnum, Perle
  • FINISHING HOPS Cascade
  • MALTS Two-row Pale, Caramel

Grist
Two-row Pale 92% 1.8 °L
Caramel 8% 60 °L

Whole Cone Hops
US Magnum 0.5 oz. 60 minutes
Perle 0.5 oz. 60 minutes
Cascasde 2 oz. 30 minutes
Cascasde 2 oz. 0 minutes

So what you have here is a DMaTH
Afaik, a true pilsener has to be brewed with pilsener malt only, which makes it almost a smash. If now in addition only saaz is used it is a full smash.

What do you consider a True Pilsener? Czech Pils? German Pils? Budweiser?
There are a lot. I do not see much of a general difference between the czech and the German ones, both have excelent ones. Urquell, Jever, Flensburger, Ratsherren... list goes on....

My apologies, I did not mean the Sieraa nevada Pale Ale, I meant Anchor liberty pale ale... I always confuse those two.... do not ask me why. Might be because I did a comparison once with London meantime pale ale, liberty ale and sierra nevada pale ale. Before, the sierra nevada was my favourite, afterwards liberty got first place, meantime second and sierra nevada only third in my personal ranking.

I then tried to find a clone recipe and to my surprise it turned out that the liberty ale seems to be a pale malt/cascade smash (cannot be more basic, right?), and that the exact yeast used is even available from one of the big distributors.
This beer is amazing, this is going to be my next smash.

What? There are other pilsners besides the king of beers? :ban:

I'm with the others here. You can always try to do a SMaSH, and see if you like it. I personally don't think they taste as good. I do, however, enjoy single hopped beers. Much like the path you're currently on...

I'm planning on brewing a single hop IPA with Simcoe next weekend. Considering brewing a true SMaSH with Maris Otter / Simcoe but wonder if it's worth it. Would the beer ultimately be better by adding some vienna, wheat / oats and or a light crystal to add a bit to the malt character of the beer while still allowing the hops to dominate.

There's no right answer as it ultimately comes down to personal taste. I would just make the observation that professional brewers are often baffled by homebrewers' insistence on throwing the kitchen sink at grain bills when most commercial beers have relatively simple grists - see Ron Pattinson's blog for examples.

I'm lucky in that I grew up with Boddington's bitter (known internally as their IPA since the 19th century), which as Ron has shown has always been mostly UK 2-row and perhaps a bit of US pale, boosted with some sugar and adjuncts. In 1901 (I'm not that old!) it was 92% pale malt, 8% invert #1 for 1.055 and 2.89oz of Goldings/Cluster, it wobbled a bit through the 20th century with maize, diastatic and what not, but by 1987 it was 99% pale malt, <1% sugar (effectively just for tweaking the gravity to the 1.034 target) and hops were down to 1.2oz of old Goldings (the hopping rate dropped dramatically in the 1980s). One of the most popular commercial beers in the UK was a SMaSH to all intents and purposes.

Now in some ways Boddies is an exception, but it is the archetypal Manchester pale which is a definite regional style within the English bitter tradition. So you can see where I'm coming from when I say that the kind of beer I choose in a pub is actually pretty close to say 1.040-1.045 100% pale Maris Otter with 25IBU of bittering and then a 100g pack of hops in 3-4 gallons.

Sure, if I was really trying to show off I'd add maybe 5-10% invert, 5% torrefied wheat for head retention and use Warminster malt. But frankly 100% Fawcetts Otter gets me within 95% of where I want to be, and it a) makes inventory much simpler - no odd bits of grain hanging around and b) a simple grist makes it easier to concentrate on other things whilst repeating the same grist makes it easy to perfect my process without worrying about weird stuff like oats screwing things up. And I can get sacks of Otter pretty cheaply, certainly a lot more cheaply than little bits of speciality grains.

Using an entire 100g pack of hops (standard size in the UK) makes for easy hop inventory management too - I only have one pack of bittering hops open which helps the domestic negotiations in regard to "all your brewing crap" in the freezer! I could use alpha extract, but I have a house rule about always using EKG in my beers so that's what I tend to bitter with.

That then gives me a easily reproducible baseline that I can brew in my sleep, which allows me lots of scope to experiment with hops and yeast - and all I need to worry about is "do I have at least 3.5kg of Otter in the sack?", and it's easy to compare between brews.

So there's lots to be said for if not a literal SMaSH, at least a very simple grain bill, especially when you're doing a lot of experimenting with yeast and hops. I can't speak for other styles but US homebrewers seem to get English bitter all wrong, they go for a neutral yeast and then load up with 15-20%+ of speciality malts because they think the complexity comes from the malts and not the yeast. Get yourself an interesting yeast (they're fascinating! ;)) and dial down the speciality malts to no more than 10-12% - and half of that is torrefied wheat for head retention rather than flavour.

I'd suggest that Fuller's are on the crystal-heavy side (certainly for my tastes) but as per the actual brew logs the only speciality malts they use in the main partigyle are 7.2% crystal and a whisper of chocolate malt.

Sure, adjuncts have their place, but if in doubt, I'd go simple.

Well the European appellation of origin rules would say that in Europe, only the Czech one is a True Pilsener. The BJCP rules would allow the German one as well - but if you're adding adjuncts then a) you're no longer a SMaSH but also you're going into an American lager (Class 1) rather than the European styles.

There's a deeper cultural thing that goes beyond the letter of the law though. The US' biggest beer company has every reason to emphasise its ties with Plzen, whereas British domestic brewers always emphasised the German tradition from a marketing perspective (anyone remember the likes of Grunhalle from a certain Warrington brewery and Einhorn from a Stockport brewery with a unicorn for its emblem?) - and the liquid drew more from the helles tradition. So in the UK "pilsner" retained the mystique of the import, whereas in the US it became more associated with domestic beer.

Back