SMaSH Grain Bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixyearplan

Reaction score
I've been reading a bit about SMaSH brews and I'd like to give it a shot on a small scale; one gallon to be exact. I think I'd like to use Vienna malt for the grain, however, I'm confused with how much is needed? I've seen some one gallon recipes with a grain bill as low as 1.75 lbs, and some nearing 2.75 lbs. I realize it's only a pound difference, but considering its a one gallon batch, I assume even a quarter pound could make a notable difference. What size grain bill is recommended for a one gallon SMaSH using Vienna malt?

I've been reading a bit about SMaSH brews and I'd like to give it a shot on a small scale; one gallon to be exact. I think I'd like to use Vienna malt for the grain, however, I'm confused with how much is needed? I've seen some one gallon recipes with a grain bill as low as 1.75 lbs, and some nearing 2.75 lbs. I realize it's only a pound difference, but considering its a one gallon batch, I assume even a quarter pound could make a notable difference. What size grain bill is recommended for a one gallon SMaSH using Vienna malt?

depends on how big a beer you want (what is the planned original gravity OG) and how effective you are at getting the sugars out of the grains and ito your fermentor. This is efficiency.

Both your desires and methods dictate how much grain to use for any recipe, not just SMASH beers.

Depends on if you want something low-ABV (I refuse to use the term "sessionable"), mid-range, or high-test.

But I am sure it is more complicated than that... let's see who else comes in here with better advice than I...

*edit* Looks like Gavin got here first anyway. LOL

You should plug your numbers into a brewing calculator and play around and see what numbers you get and how the abv and ibu changes when you change amounts and times. I use Brewers Friend calculators most often. That is how I learned the most about coming up with recipes and how to change amounts.

You need a copy of BeerSmith or other software to help w/that and other decisions when brewing. Try it as I believe there is a free trial period.

The advice here is right on track.
My 5gal SMaSH beers are normal gravity 1.045-1.050ish and I use 10# of grain and 2-3 oz hops.
So scaled back that would be 2# grain.
So your 1.75# sounds good to me.

Agree on the Beersmith purchase, it's only 25 bucks and worth it if you plan on designing your own beers. I think that there are free programs out there if you really want to go that route.

Thanks all! I downloaded the free trial of BeerSmith. I'll play around with it and see what I can come up with.

Back