SMaSH Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIPAfool

Reaction score
Did my first SMaSH this weekend. Had a 14.75deg Plato or 1.060sg. My question is I used Maris Otter both Crystal and non, is this still considered a Single Malt brew with the addition of crystal maris otter?

Not really.. SMaSH usually refers to 1 type of grain and 1 type of hop. If you have two different flavors or SRM of Maris I'd say not technically a smash. You're still keeping to the spirit of it though, keep things simple - no need for 12 different types of grain in 3oz increments.

Technically, yes.. you used a single malt, even though a portion of the malt was lightly caramelized.

That said, my personal feelings about it are that you violated the spirit of the SMaSH by adding an additional flavor component. The point (again, in my opinion) is to isolate malt, hops, and yeast flavors to produce an educational (and delicious!) brew.

EDITED to add.. LOL, simultaneous post with above.. and completely opposite views.

I see. It should turn out to be a great and tasteee brew none the less. I was accually happy about the simplicity of this one. It was quite refreshing and enjoyable. I have a bunch of ol 2-row left, I'll snag some of the pacman off of this one after ferm and try again. Oh and the ingredients of that one was, 13 lbs Crystal Maris, 7lbs non, 3oz Chinook, and 1000mL starter of pacman.

Haha, completely opposite - I guess it's different things to different people. If you want to call it a SMaSH, I'm not going to call you out.

Wait, 13 lbs. of Crystal grains and 7 lbs of regular Maris Otter? That's a lot of crystal.

Ok I remembered I watched it on cartoon network (don't ask) and I didn't get it I have to watch it again and pay very close attention. All I remember is a girl who has pig parents and at the bus stop which is on water?! She meets that character and then it turns bad and eats Her or something.

Yea it is a lot, but its homebrew and I wanted to play mad scientist and see just how it was going to turn out. Also went with a slower lower temp mash. The brewmaster I work with suggested it.

Latest posts

Back