SMaSH All-Grain 2-row recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylorjohn11892

Reaction score
Howdy!

Lots of leftover 2 row and I’m entering a smash competition with my local homebrew club so I need to whip some tail!

I’m looking to brew a crisp, IPA level gravity (1.065-ish), juicy beer. I don’t have any hops on hand so I’m open to suggestions.

I’ve got some ideas of how I want to approach this but I’d like some input from the community.

Thanks!

Citra-Mosaic-Loral

The Loral will really surprise your club with a hint of lemon-pepper along with the fruitiness of the Citra and Mosaic. It's a pretty strong hop on its own, so it won't get totally hidden either.

Okay cool. Thanks for the advice. I'm aiming for a dry crisp, hoppy/fruity character. Won't I need to manipulate the mash temperature in order to get a drier beer?

I'll probably end up bittering at 60 min and adding at 15 min then dry hopping the hell out of it. I'm really looking for a fruity aroma

Question: In the SMaSH styled beer in your clubs competition, can you add any other ingredients (beside single grain/single hop) or adjuncts? What is the "purity law" that you need to abide by?

I have a suggestion based on your answer.

I've done a few 2-row smashes. The most basic one was a Magnum/2-row smash with just a single 60min bittering charge. Macro-swill fans in my family loved it, but it was definitely a pretty uninteresting beer by craft/homebrew standards.

It looks like most of the descriptors you're shooting for are hop-related, so IMO, 2-row is actually the best choice for the grain. Keep the malt character dead simple to let the hops shine. Besides, at your target gravity, there will be some malt flavor no matter what you choose.

I've done a few 2-row smashes. The most basic one was a Magnum/2-row smash with just a single 60min bittering charge. Macro-swill fans in my family loved it, but it was definitely a pretty uninteresting beer by craft/homebrew standards.

It looks like most of the descriptors you're shooting for are hop-related, so IMO, 2-row is actually the best choice for the grain. Keep the malt character dead simple to let the hops shine. Besides, at your target gravity, there will be some malt flavor no matter what you choose.

Exactly, I'm looking for a hop forward beer that is a little bitter (around 50 IBU) with an awesome fruity aroma. Almost session-IPAish. Something crisp, clean and fruity - hoppy.

Any thoughts on yeasts? I have only used US-05 and I know what that tastes like. Maybe want to use something more saison-y.

I just did a 2 row and galaxy hop SMaSH. 30 min boil, 1oz @ 10 min, 1.5oz at whirlpool. Then, ran out of Galaxy. Debating whether I order some more to dry hop, or just leave it as is.

I was going to say @taylorjohn11892, if you can add one ingredient that is not a grain or hop, you could still maintain the integrity of the SMaSH structure.

I brew an awesome beer that you could easily adapt to a SMaSH format. Thai Lemongrass is absolutely awesome in a beer and quite easy to use:

2 row
Amarillo
Minced Thai Lemongrass (FO and Dry Hop additions)

I'd use US-05 or WLP001 in this beer to keep the yeast subdued. If you use a Saison, Belle Saison is pretty easy to use.

Since you cant use wheat, carapils or oats to smooth out the mouthfeel, you can get by with using a higher than normal level of Cl and downplay the SO4. That will help you to offset the thinness you get by mashing at a lower temp to have the dryness you desire.

Like, two different dry hops, at two different times? Now you're talking crazy.....

I have 4oz on the way, it can be done, I suppose!
Yeah man! Dry hop that thang during the last part of active fermentation. (Biotransformation) Then hit it again after the beer is settling off before you keg or bottle it. Whoa baby....hop heaven!

for a crisp clean smash

I would go with 2 row or Golden promise and Crystal hops on Conan or Omega DIPA yeast.

just my opinion.

Yeah man! Dry hop that thang during the last part of active fermentation. (Biotransformation) Then hit it again after the beer is settling off before you keg or bottle it. Whoa baby....hop heaven!

I won't have Galaxy on hand before fermentation slows. I dry hop my NEIPA's on day two, and that was my plan with this beer, until, uhhh, I ran out of that hop variety. Whoops. Poor planning!

Exactly, I'm looking for a hop forward beer that is a little bitter (around 50 IBU) with an awesome fruity aroma. Almost session-IPAish. Something crisp, clean and fruity - hoppy.

Any thoughts on yeasts? I have only used US-05 and I know what that tastes like. Maybe want to use something more saison-y.

US-05 would be my first pick for a beer like that, simply because I just want the yeast to ferment the wort and otherwise get out of the way. But I will tell you that the fruitiest beer I ever made was an all 2-row grain bill, lots of late hops, and fermented with T-58.

Back