Small scale brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrimBrewer

Reaction score
Im considering doing some small scale experimenting. So doing a batch of about 2.5liters....over 1/2 gallon I guess.
So I can get a six pack, 330ml, out at a time.

What should I do when it comes to bottling?

I currenly have a 10liter bottling bucket. Do I keep using that one, make a smaller one...or do I just pour it in wth a jug?

I bottle two gallon test batches from a 6.5 gallon bottling bucket.

I just tip it to make sure I get every last drop.

I bought a small food grade bucket that I found at Lowe's in the paint section for my small batches. Can't remember the size, but it was a gallon or two. Drilled a hole in it with a dremel and attached a spigot from my large bottling bucket. Easier to manage. Necessary? No, but it was only a few bucks.

For tiny batches, I ferment in a gallon milk jug (sanitized of course) and then simply pour the beer directly into each bottle. Works great, and dirt cheap. My family drinks a lot of milk so we always have several empty milk jugs around, so I only use them once or twice and then they get replaced free of charge.

You don't get oxidation problem with pouring?

I'll will most likely use the 10liter bucket, but I do have 2 x 5liter buckets that I could add a spigot too.

With my last 10 liter batch, I brew a bit more so I could leave more trub/wort behind...mainly with the idea, that I can have more "beer" in my 10liter fermented.
I placed the trub in a jug in the fridge and the next day it was 50% settled with clean wort.
That got me thinking....I should just have added it to a small glass bottle, add some yeast and let it run. Don't worry about temp control, just a side experiment. :D

But why stop there! Why not do a quick SMASH every now and then at a very small scale.

O and yes, I've been brewing beer for under 2 years now. Either 10liter batches on my own or 80+liters with friends, but we always use plastic buckets. So I have never "seen" active fermentation.
I'm not going to bother buying a big glass carboy but small glass jugs are cheap.

Back