Small pressurized serving vessels - ideas needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveSeattle

Reaction score
In my keezer, I have 5 corny kegs and 2 of the aluminum minikegs, 7 total taps, which is mostly awesome. The minikegs sit on top of the cornies and let me have more varieties of beer on tap at once. However I've found that the minikegs are cesspools of infection, with >50% of batches getting infected despite soaking in PBW, scrubbing, then soaking in StarSan. So now I'm looking for a replacement. Criteria:
1. No taller than 8". Rules out just putting a corny keg on its side.
2. Must hold at least 4L/1 gallon. I don't want to have to be constantly swapping these out. (If I remove this criteria, I could use 2L bottles with carbonator caps, but I'd have to swap them every 4 beers.)
3. Must be capable of holding serving pressure.
4. I have to be able to hook the beer and gas lines to them somehow. Willing to DIY, but it has to be gas-tight.

Things I've evaluated:
1. Beer Box. Would work great, but expensive - $200. And some DIY would be required to create a dip tube and to connect a gas QD to the Schrader valve input.
2. Party pig - out of business, and pouches are expensive for this use case.
3. Water containers like Aquatainer - unclear whether these would hold pressure and whether I could get them gas-tight, but may be an option.
4. Chaining 2L bottles, somehow. I don't know how this could work but maybe I could arrange it so I can connect several of them together. Seems like a pain.
5. Using corny kegs outside the keezer but passing them through a jockey box type coil inside the fridge. My keezer is in the garage so I have space to do this but I think the temperature variations in the garage would hurt the beer quality, and without immersing the coils in ice water (which I don't think would be feasible in the small space) I don't think I'd get enough chilling to bring the temperature down much. Incidentally I have a separate beer cellar where I serve cellar temperature beers so serving the beers at a higher temperature from this keezer is not appealing.
6. Just giving up and having fewer taps. But then I'd either have 2 permanently empty taps (sad) or two empty holes in my keezer (ugly).

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Are the Miller/Coors Light home draft things still available? You'd have to modify it if you wanted to use your gas and beer lines but I'm pretty sure I've seen that done on the forum somewhere. Not sure if it's less than 8" tall either.

Not sure if it was Midwest or northern brewer but somebody recently started selling mini cornys at like 1 or 1.5 gallons. Called a cannonball? Can't remember.....

Not sure if it was Midwest or northern brewer but somebody recently started selling mini cornys at like 1 or 1.5 gallons. Called a cannonball? Can't remember.....

I think they both sell them. They are a bit spendy, but watch for the 20% off sales from northern brewer.

They stack so if one corny was removed you could stack three in it's place and still offer 7 taps. cornykeg.com offers similar 2.5gal and 3gal stackable kegs too.

not that bad really... how ghetto are we gonna go here?

The Beer Box is $200, and is also useful for mobile serving.

The Miller/Coors minikegs are the kind I'm using. They work great on the first batch but have repeatedly caused infections on later batches despite as thorough a cleaning as I could give them.

I'll check out those mini corny kegs, hadn't heard of those and they could work well. Thanks

The mini cornies are $100 for 1.75 gallons, so not quite cost competitive with Beer Box - I'd have to buy three, and then would have three small batch beers instead of two small and one large. However one big advantage is I can purge with CO2 more easily, and also use regular disconnects. Because of that I could actually use them just as serving vessels, storing the beer in full-size cornies and refilling the small ones when they empty via a keg jumper.

Tap-a-draft bottles may be the solution. They are very cheap so they're worth a try anyway. Main question is whether I'll be able to DIY a sufficient tap. I also have an old tap-a-draft dispenser already for use with the minikegs. This is probably what I'll try first; worst case I'll be out $30 and have some nice big bottles for storage and portable serving.

Are you making one gallon batches for several of your taps?
Suggest just reducing taps or enlarging freezer or adding second freezer. Redoing one board on a collar isn't that big a deal.

I'm making 2.5 gallon batches, currently split into two minikegs.

The problem with redoing the collar is I also have a panelboard face on it that would not be easy to replace or fix. I wouldn't have a problem with reducing the number of taps but can't easily fix the extra holes.

However, I did just have an idea: I could hook two of my kegs up to two taps each, one regular and one with a Randall... That may be the fallback if I can't make the TaD or BeerBox system work.

However I've found that the minikegs are cesspools of infection, with >50% of batches getting infected despite soaking in PBW, scrubbing, then soaking in StarSan.

Considering that cleaning regimen, what makes you think the infection source is the minikegs?

Cheers!

Considering that cleaning regimen, what makes you think the infection source is the minikegs?
I have had a couple batches split between corny kegs and minikegs where only the minikeg got infected. I've been seeing an infection rate in the minis of about 33%, far far higher than in my corny kegs. I do tend to keep the mini kegs around longer at room temperature, so it's possible it's actually a latent infection that's not moving fast enough to notice in the corny kegs. But also if you look at the minikegs' design, it's obvious why they would get infected: they have tons of nooks and crannies where gunk can hide, and it's almost impossible to get any kind of decent brush inside them.

I suppose I could pasteurize them, I have the capability (sous vide cooker), but that seems ridiculous.

It seems like a lot of work, supplies, and such for what are very small volumes for a tap system. Fwiw I've never had an infection in probably close to 200 kegs and my cleaning regimen is not "religious" by any means, just regularly thorough. Seems infection could be introduced in a number of steps along the path of splitting batches into smaller batches for small kegging. Hope you find the source and figure it out, it would be super annoying to me to have 1gal taps, changing and maintaining too quickly, might as well bottle at that point. But good luck!

I use the small kegs for beers I don't want to drink 5 gallons of, like barleywines or some Belgians. With 7 taps, and recently going to 9 with a new beer cellar, it takes me a long time to go through a full keg. It would take me more than a year to go through 5 gallons of barleywine (my preferences tend to the light/moderate strength beers so I don't drink it much - my current 1.25 gal minikeg of barleywine has lasted a year already). It's really nice to have all this variety though - at any time, I have British, American, German, and continental beers, I have ales and lagers, I have hoppy, malty and balanced beers, I have light, moderate and strong beers, I have a wheat or rye beer, and I usually have a sour. Basically my house has a better selection than most brewpubs.

You can think of the process of filling the minikegs as more akin to bottling than filling a corny keg. The only additional risk of infection is transferring from one minikeg to the other on the surface of the bottling wand, and the design of the minikegs themselves.

I've never had an infection in a corny that wasn't traceable to poor yeast reuse practices.

DrinkTanks just did a kickstarter for the 128oz/1gal version of their growler. If you get the to-be-released Kegulator cap, its kinda like a 1 gal keg. I imagine you could hook up the beer line to your faucets rather than the picnic tap.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-the-worlds-largest-growler-and-p/description

Cons:
Expensive. $90 pre-order
Uses disposable CO2 cartridges
Filling akin to bottling. Not as simple to do a closed transfer.
Probably taller than 8"

This probably is not the solution for you but maybe it will help spark some new ideas.

There are multiple options for 2.5 - 3 gallon kegs. Ball or pin lock.

They are too big to fit into the available space. I could replace two 5 gallon kegs with 4 2.5s stacked, but that would be very expensive and I don't want that many small batch beers.

How about keeping your mini kegs refrigerated? If you're cleaning them, it seems more likely that something else is infected and it just can't grow fast enough to ruin a batch when it's stored at 38F in your corny kegs.

I'm basically trying that experiment now, because I moved them to an insulated and chilled cellar. But I'm still going to replace them because they also leak.

I drilled the hole in the cap for the 6 liter bottle the same size as the hole for the mini-kegs then I used silicone to seal it to the cap.

Back